BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

10-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

What maintance should be done at/by 20k miles?

Hey all, we bought a 2012 e92 6spd a year ago with 8k miles on it from a BMW dealer, they said they performed all needed maintance up to that point including an oil change. We of course got the warranty with maintance free too. Well now its about to turn 20k and I'm sure something needs to be done but the iDrive doesn't show anything. I want to go in to my local dealer and see what has been/needs to be done so anything specific I should make sure gets taken care of now?
      10-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Regardless of what the iDrive say - change oil... (most folks do it at half BMW's recommendation i.e. 7.5k miles or less. Seems like a good idea given a 8300RMP engine).

Coming to 19k miles myself, except for a few oil Changes I changed the Engine air filter the other month, changed the Micro/coupe filter recently. Can't think of anything else assuming the car runs fine.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

on my Idrive i have different vehicle checks all the way tell like 36k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Regardless of what the iDrive say - change oil... (most folks do it at half BMW's recommendation i.e. 7.5k miles or less. Seems like a good idea given a 8300RMP engine).

Coming to 19k miles myself, except for a few oil Changes I changed the Engine air filter the other month, changed the Micro/coupe filter recently. Can't think of anything else assuming the car runs fine.

Cheers
I figured the 15k mile oil change was too long. Guess ill have to see how that free maintance works with changing it early. Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
on my Idrive i have different vehicle checks all the way tell like 36k miles.
As in custom checks you want?
      10-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

The dealer won't change your oil early for free. People that do shorter intervals pay out of pocket. You might be able to have then change it on a low mileage interval (once a year regardless of miles) depending on the date of the last one. I don't recall anything in particular that gets done at 20k. I believe spark plugs are around 33k and brakes are late 30s? If you do a search for service intervals there are posts with info. The problem is a lot of dealers don't want to do anything unless it says explicitly in idrive, even if it's in your owners/warranty manual you'll most likely need to argue with me about it. M
      10-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
The dealer won't change your oil early for free. People that do shorter intervals pay out of pocket. You might be able to have then change it on a low mileage interval (once a year regardless of miles) depending on the date of the last one. I don't recall anything in particular that gets done at 20k. I believe spark plugs are around 33k and brakes are late 30s? If you do a search for service intervals there are posts with info. The problem is a lot of dealers don't want to do anything unless it says explicitly in idrive, even if it's in your owners/warranty manual you'll most likely need to argue with me about it. M
Sounds awesome, I love arguing with dealerships over BS! Thanks for the info though lol.
      10-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

The recommended service is every 15k miles. Which is basically like a tune-up!
Seeing that it had its service around 8k? Your still good for about 3k miles!
Oil changes on our M's are pretty slim. But i recommend changing the oil & filter around 5-7k miles between the 15k service. But you will be coming out the pocket if you do so! The good thing is that changing the oil & filter on the E9x is the most easiest thing to do, and should only take you about 15mins to do?! And if you get a oil drain valve? You cut that in half, and it makes it even easier. And if you have a roll board? You can be wearing a suit and won't get dirty at all when changing it! Lol
Appreciate 0