BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

F80/82 iDrive Controller Retrofit?

Just wanted to bring this subject up to see if there is anyone that has/had any experience with something similar.

I was wondering if the Controller from the newer BMW's (the touch sensative knob specifically) can be retrofitted in the E9X M3's.

It looks like it would be a direct plug and play with possible software updating?

it would be nice to be able to use the touch sensitive knob in our cars!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Fresh View Post
Just wanted to bring this subject up to see if there is anyone that has/has had any experience with something similar.

I was wondering if the Controller from the newer BMW's (the touch sensative knob specifically) can be retrofitted in the E9X M3's.

It looks like it would be a direct plug and play with possible software updating?

it would be nice to be able to use the touch sensitive knob in our cars!

Thanks
working on the full retrofit right now. I believe you can use it, but you will need the rest of the unit to do so (touch portion) you can pm bmwretrofit he has integrated it into a e9x and other cars as well
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
working on the full retrofit right now. I believe you can use it, but you will need the rest of the unit to do so (touch portion) you can pm bmwretrofit he has integrated it into a e9x and other cars as well
What do you mean by this? As in the knob and the buttons that are build around it?

I was thinking using all the OEM hardware on the E9X (2009-2013) M cars and swap in the iDrive Controller from the new(er) (F80M or anything 2014+ BMW car/SUV) that has the navi in it?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What do you mean by this? As in the knob and the buttons that are build around it?

I was thinking using all the OEM hardware on the E9X (2009-2013) M cars and swap in the iDrive Controller from the new(er) (F80M or anything 2014+ BMW car/SUV) that has the navi in it?
the whole thing is a different unit, so from my understanding and looking at the kit currently the connectors and wires are different. If you had the stomach to cut up the stock wiring and make it work then I would assume the dial will work.. not the touch portion
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the whole thing is a different unit, so from my understanding and looking at the kit currently the connectors and wires are different. If you had the stomach to cut up the stock wiring and make it work then I would assume the dial will work.. not the touch portion
Ahh i see yeah that is what I wanted to know.

i think the CIC is great (can have improvements) but to upgrade to the NBT (full kit) for only wanting the touch portion of the dial may not be worth the price.

I am sure the wiring isnt hard, I was more so wondering if the system could use a simple software/coding to have the touch part work!

Thanks I Will still keep in touch with him to see if things change
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ahh i see yeah that is what I wanted to know.

i think the CIC is great (can have improvements) but to upgrade to the NBT (full kit) for only wanting the touch portion of the dial may not be worth the price.

I am sure the wiring isnt hard, I was more so wondering if the system could use a simple software/coding to have the touch part work!

Thanks I Will still keep in touch with him to see if things change
I have the unit ready to replace my CCC, I will do a build thread once I start on it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #7
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
I have the unit ready to replace my CCC, I will do a build thread once I start on it
Waiting for the update!

Are you using the eNBT emulator from bimmer-retrofit or different? The price of the eNBT is the only thing stopping me from retrofitting - hoping something cheaper comes along.
      09-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
Waiting for the update!

Are you using the eNBT emulator from bimmer-retrofit or different? The price of the eNBT is the only thing stopping me from retrofitting - hoping something cheaper comes along.
i think its a worthwhile upgrade if youre on CCC but not being able to retrofit the touch controller (or at least while making it work) without using the NBT monitor and the rest of the hardware is a tough pill to swallow for ~3k for just a minor upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
i think its a worthwhile upgrade if youre on CCC but not being able to retrofit the touch controller (or at least while making it work) without using the NBT monitor and the rest of the hardware is a tough pill to swallow for ~3k for just a minor upgrade.
Yeah, I'm on CCC, if I was on CIC I probably wouldn't bother.

However, from all the research I have done, the CIC HDD carries no 'touch' commands, hence why you need the NBT HDD plus the Touch ECU to have the touch controller working. So, with CIC it's probably not worth it unless you are keeping your car for a long while.