BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

08-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
rgoose18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi RS 4

Whats the final word on Mobil 1 OW-40

I've read so much contradiction I'm ready to put the flame suit on and ask the question.

This oil is much more readily available, cheaper and supposedly helps with bearing wear. I'm not tracking my car and only push it hard a handful of times per week. Why wouldn't I want to use this if I'm out of warranty?

Last edited by rgoose18; 08-24-2014 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

There is no definitive answer and there will likely never be one. This is because there is a group that advocates the use of OEM Castrol lubricants and another group that is willing to try other quality oils such as the Mobil 1 0W-40.

Please refer to the thread with 14+ pages of content at the following link. Then, you'll have to make your own decision: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911030
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
rgoose18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi RS 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
There is no definitive answer and there will likely never be one. This is because there is a group that advocates the use of OEM Castrol lubricants and another group that is willing to try other quality oils such as the Mobil 1 0W-40.

Please refer to the thread with 14+ pages of content at the following link. Then, you'll have to make your own decision: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911030
I'm aware of the thread and don't blame you for pointing me in said direction.

If anyone who has ran 0W-40 (for an extended period of time) can chime in it'd be appreciated. That thread is a mishmash of info without much long term data points surrounding 0W-40. I'd like this thread to keep on topic in ONLY discussing this weight if possible.
      08-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
EPOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I would think the biggest concern with switching to a different weight oil would be the affect on oil pressure.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Is this something you're doing for any benefit other than cost?
      08-25-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I would wait to see the results of Maleks engine tear down - he recently had a engine failure and had been running Mobil1 for a long time. It will be interesting to see if the elevated iron content often noted when using M1 will show as increased wear in the camshaft lobe/lifters, something else or nothing obvious at all.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 08-25-2014 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:25 AM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoose18 View Post
I'm aware of the thread and don't blame you for pointing me in said direction.

If anyone who has ran 0W-40 (for an extended period of time) can chime in it'd be appreciated. That thread is a mishmash of info without much long term data points surrounding 0W-40. I'd like this thread to keep on topic in ONLY discussing this weight if possible.
In this case with 0W40 is long term data "not possible" because the switch is made only one year ago ,and only by some ,so who knows the result on long term ?
Personal i'm running with EDGE from dealer and keep it this way !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

If you browse the "Maintenance" section of the forum there are numerous UOA's posted for 0w40 as well as discussions from people using it. The UOA's typically have shown a large decrease in bearing wear metals with a slight increase in iron count.

As for its long-term (assuming 60k+ miles) use...dont think anyone has run it long enough to know for sure. But I think most look at it this way: engines are failing using TWS so its not like you are messing with a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
If you browse the "Maintenance" section of the forum there are numerous UOA's posted for 0w40 as well as discussions from people using it. The UOA's typically have shown a large decrease in bearing wear metals with a slight increase in iron count.

As for its long-term (assuming 60k+ miles) use...dont think anyone has run it long enough to know for sure. But I think most look at it this way: engines are failing using TWS so its not like you are messing with a good thing.
this.

The UOA thread has the short term data you need.

Also to add to this point, most M1 0w40 users are now changing at 5000 mile intervals, which is still more cost effective than Edge Pro at the OEM recommended interval.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Is this something you're doing for any benefit other than cost?
you mean cost of oil or cost of rod bearings? because rod bearing cost is $$$$
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
gouda-buddh
Rep
Drives: M3

So I agree with the OP. I am literally confused. I have read all the different threads and feel like it is a mash of info with nothing really conclusive. Or did I miss something?

Its so confusing with Liqui Moly, Redline, Mobil, TWS... Which one?

P.S. Sorry to bring up old thread. Didn't want to start a new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #12
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I've run 0w40 on track, daily driving and autocross. It has held up well for me and the oil analysis shows no bearing wear when used for a 5k mile interval. I'll continue to do oil analysis and keep track of it for now.

I don't think there's any conclusive information other than bearing wear being a very real problem.

I'd avoid anything thicker than TWS... Redline, LiquiMoly both have higher viscosity which definitely won't help in the tight bearing clearances of the M3.
      02-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #13
gouda-buddh
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I've run 0w40 on track, daily driving and autocross. It has held up well for me and the oil analysis shows no bearing wear when used for a 5k mile interval. I'll continue to do oil analysis and keep track of it for now.

I don't think there's any conclusive information other than bearing wear being a very real problem.

I'd avoid anything thicker than TWS... Redline, LiquiMoly both have higher viscosity which definitely won't help in the tight bearing clearances of the M3.
Thanks. Now I also have read some people going to different brands and types for the cost. For me, the cost doesn't really matter. I want my car to run as best as it possibly could with no problems down the line. Is Mobil still the way to go?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #14
Gumulri
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda-buddh View Post
Thanks. Now I also have read some people going to different brands and types for the cost. For me, the cost doesn't really matter. I want my car to run as best as it possibly could with no problems down the line. Is Mobil still the way to go?
I have used m1 0-40 for about 3000mls and never liked it but I love the extra power from that m1. I had some issues with m1 are oil comsumption and engin sounded getting louder hear more ticking noise from engine.
I just hit about 100000 mls with tws and engine sounds like new.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #15
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumulri View Post
I have used m1 0-40 for about 3000mls and never liked it but I love the extra power from that m1. I had some issues with m1 are oil comsumption and engin sounded getting louder hear more ticking noise from engine.
I just hit about 100000 mls with tws and engine sounds like new.
That's right. Engine seems a tiny bit more "free'ed up" (in terms of reving) but engine is definitely louder especially the ticking (from the lifters?). All in all, i think it is definitely safe to run the M1 0w40, so long as you stick to a shorter OCI and don't abuse the oil.

Since the M3 is new to me just prior to winter, I personally used the M1 0w40 for the winter months after reading here. However, now i am contemplating whether to go with TWS 10w60 for summer or a mixed of the M1 & TWS (some say we shouldn't mix, others have had good results especially in the GTR owners and forum discussions).

On my previously modded 335i, the 0w40 was ok (in terms of UOA), but when driven for long distances (road trips) the engine seemed weak'ish after a while (never done a long distance road trip in the M3 yet, don't know if it will behave the same). Throttle response seems to decrease signifcantly and engine just doesn't rev and push nearly as hard as it usually does. However, when I ran Motul 300V 5w40, I never had that problem...
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
That's right. Engine seems a tiny bit more "free'ed up" (in terms of reving) but engine is definitely louder especially the ticking (from the lifters?). All in all, i think it is definitely safe to run the M1 0w40, so long as you stick to a shorter OCI and don't abuse the oil.

Since the M3 is new to me just prior to winter, I personally used the M1 0w40 for the winter months after reading here. However, now i am contemplating whether to go with TWS 10w60 for summer or a mixed of the M1 & TWS (some say we shouldn't mix, others have had good results especially in the GTR owners and forum discussions).

On my previously modded 335i, the 0w40 was ok (in terms of UOA), but when driven for long distances (road trips) the engine seemed weak'ish after a while (never done a long distance road trip in the M3 yet, don't know if it will behave the same). Throttle response seems to decrease signifcantly and engine just doesn't rev and push nearly as hard as it usually does. However, when I ran Motul 300V 5w40, I never had that problem...

What was the rationale by the GTR owners who use TWS? I heard this a lot. What was their factory fill?

What's with the M1/TWS cocktail they use?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

GTRs have M1 0W40 as factory fill, and lot of guys that track a lot have switched to 100% TWS or a 50%/50% blend of 0W40/TWS or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
What was the rationale by the GTR owners who use TWS? I heard this a lot. What was their factory fill?

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
GTRs have M1 0W40 as factory fill, and lot of guys that track a lot have switched to 100% TWS or a 50%/50% blend of 0W40/TWS or something like that.
thanks for the info. I didn't know M1 0-40 was their factory fill.
      02-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #19
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

Pretty much sums it up.

Some theorize that the Castrol 10W60 is actually too thick for the tight clearances, and that a thinner alternative could actually improve bearing life. Results so far from many members with 0W40 have appeared promising. That said, nobody knows for sure, as everyone's situation is unique and there just isn't enough data yet. By the time there is a significant number of cars that have run Mobil for over 100k miles and there is more certainty, many of us will have moved onto another car and for us the topic will be moot.

Mobil 0w-40 is factory fill for Porsche, Mercedes AMG, Aston Martin, even McLaren. IMO suggesting that Mobil isn't "good enough," or that BMW M engines are built to some higher standard, is a little silly. Sure Mobil 1 is a cheaper alternative to the pricey Castrol, but what is really telling is that many owners don't mind the cost but want to make the best choice possible, and end up choosing the non-factory recommended formula.

However there is something to be said for a factory recommendation. Who would know better than BMW itself? Castrol must have been selected for a reason. But then again, BMW has thrown out the Castrol recommendations now that they're partnered with Shell. Similarly, you can find a lot of historical debate among Ferrari owners when Ferrari required only Shell Helix (which was not only expensive, but for a time all but impossible to order outside of a dealer). Same thing for Lamborghini with Agip, for a time. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

At the end of the day, these cars could all probably run on the cheapest quaker state, castrol gtx, whatever you put in it. But so far many think the best choice for their cars is Mobil 0W40.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #20
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Any more insight on this? Were GTR owners experiencing some sort of failures running 0W40? Or is this just the result of their ruminations?

Seems more like a handful of guys overthinking it than some consensus switch.

Last edited by Craigy; 02-18-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #21
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post

I thought I was the only one noticed this with 0w-40 when driving long trip. I noticed this exact same thing. I was using 0w-40 at 5k OCI. In the summer month where it's over 100, the oil sheared down to outside the expected range in my oil analysis.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #22
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
I thought I was the only one noticed this with 0w-40 when driving long trip. I noticed this exact same thing. I was using 0w-40 at 5k OCI. In the summer month where it's over 100, the oil sheared down to outside the expected range in my oil analysis.
I have no clue if its the oil, or just generally BMW behaves that way and are not meant for long distance driving. But as mentioned, when my 335i was on Motul 300V, the decrease in throttle response and power was not at all noticable (or even absent altogether when compared to the M1 0w40). Mind you, when running hot and long distances, the 335i oil temperature hovers around 130-140c range (that's 265-285F).
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0