BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

08-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Oil overfill experience

Well have had my car for about two weeks now 2008 E92 M3 and have driven the car close to 1,000 miles. Now this is my first E92 M3 So when I got home decided to check the my oil level through the i > Service info > Service Requirements > Engine Oil level; when I checked the oil level I noticed oil level had dropped two bars from when I first got the car. Now when I got the car at a certified BMW dealership the gentlemen who was seemed very knowledgeable was going through all the i Drive options and how to check the oil level he stated every little line or bar whatever you want to call it represents a QUART! lol so I thought okay fairly simple I went and bought 1 Liter of 10w-60 Castrol and put in the entire 1 Liter of oil in, Boy was I an idiot...after maybe 5 minutes of driving I wasn't receiving any warning lights or anything but I checked the oil level again and the reading now stated "Engine Oil Level too high" so that didn't seem right. So hopped on the forum looked around and I guess I learned the hard way lol as each bar doesn't represent a quart...lol and only ad oil when the car asks for it.

To solve the overfill issue I drained the oil from the front oil plug twice which actually was about the same amount of the 1 Liter of oil I had put in the car, so today I get to spend another $15 on another Liter of oil which will be saved for when the car asks for oil lol

Just wanted to share my story unsure if to feel like an idiot for listening to the guy or if I should express my thoughts to the guy telling people every bar represents a qrt in E92 M3s...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniomg43 View Post
Well have had my car for about two weeks now 2008 E92 M3 and have driven the car close to 1,000 miles. Now this is my first E92 M3 So when I got home decided to check the my oil level through the i > Service info > Service Requirements > Engine Oil level; when I checked the oil level I noticed oil level had dropped two bars from when I first got the car. Now when I got the car at a certified BMW dealership the gentlemen who was seemed very knowledgeable was going through all the i Drive options and how to check the oil level he stated every little line or bar whatever you want to call it represents a QUART! lol so I thought okay fairly simple I went and bought 1 Liter of 10w-60 Castrol and put in the entire 1 Liter of oil in, Boy was I an idiot...after maybe 5 minutes of driving I wasn't receiving any warning lights or anything but I checked the oil level again and the reading now stated "Engine Oil Level too high" so that didn't seem right. So hopped on the forum looked around and I guess I learned the hard way lol as each bar doesn't represent a quart...lol and only ad oil when the car asks for it.

To solve the overfill issue I drained the oil from the front oil plug twice which actually was about the same amount of the 1 Liter of oil I had put in the car, so today I get to spend another $15 on another Liter of oil which will be saved for when the car asks for oil lol

Just wanted to share my story unsure if to feel like an idiot for listening to the guy or if I should express my thoughts to the guy telling people every bar represents a qrt in E92 M3s...
I've actually gone through a similar experience. After having owned the car for 3 months, I noticed that the oil level has gone down in the iDrive Vehicle Information. Having read what the internet had to offer, it appeared that this car does burn oil more frequently than thought. I took that seriously and brought a quart of 10w60. Because there is no dipstick, I filled about half a quart. Now, it turns out that I have the over-fill warning on the dash.
I haven't really drained the oil as of yet, but will get to it eventually.

I miss the dipstick! Cannot trust these sensors.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Always pour it in 1/4 L at a time. I think the manual even says that.
      08-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Doesn't anyone read the manual anymore?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I should have read the manual. I guess the bigger challenge is getting the reading of the oil in realtime. You would never know how much oil you need or filled until you have started the car for 10+ minutes.

I should have read the manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

We all make mistakes. Maybe you should reconsider broadcasting them on the Internet.
      08-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The other problem is the oil level reading is some kind of average. Sometimes it takes many readings over days to get a correct reading.
      08-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
We all make mistakes. Maybe you should reconsider broadcasting them on the Internet.
The intent here is for others to learn from it. Just sayin'...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasaab View Post
The intent here is for others to learn from it. Just sayin'...
I agree with ya... Lesson 1: Don't trust the dealer boys for technical matters. Lesson 2: The M3 engine holds ~9 liters of oil, and if the funky electronic oil gauge reads anything above minimum you are good to go. Being down a half liter (middle of the gauge) is not a reason to panic. Lesson 3: As stated above, add only a quarter liter at a time-- the oil level gauge is a bit dodgey.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
I agree with ya... Lesson 1: Don't trust the dealer boys for technical matters. Lesson 2: The M3 engine holds ~9 liters of oil, and if the funky electronic oil gauge reads anything above minimum you are good to go. Being down a half liter (middle of the gauge) is not a reason to panic. Lesson 3: As stated above, add only a quarter liter at a time-- the oil level gauge is a bit dodgey.
Thank you! This further explains the behavior. I just recently purchased my e92. I've moved from the Aplina B7, so there's definitely a gap in my understanding of this car.

Having said that, I am very well acquainted with the e46 m3 having owned it for several years.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post

What is crazy I broke my own rule of thumb never trust dealer boys, but I think he took me away with his "19 year BMW certification" and his I drive e30 m3's bla bla bla bla... Lesson learned for sure though. Ya was looking into how much oil the engine itself holds and I saw various answers but I would agree with the 9 liters so thanks on confirming that. Will definitely be adding 1/4 at a time from here on out read it actually helps get better oil readings but with these oil sensors I don't know.

Does anyone on here know where 10w-60 can be purchased at a decent price? found a local BMW shop that sells 10w-60 Castrol for $15 a liter, I use to use Liqui Moly on my E46 and car always ran strong maybe Ill go with that since I haven't had any issues with it and easier to get in my area for a decent price.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasaab View Post
I've actually gone through a similar experience. After having owned the car for 3 months, I noticed that the oil level has gone down in the iDrive Vehicle Information. Having read what the internet had to offer, it appeared that this car does burn oil more frequently than thought. I took that seriously and brought a quart of 10w60. Because there is no dipstick, I filled about half a quart. Now, it turns out that I have the over-fill warning on the dash.
I haven't really drained the oil as of yet, but will get to it eventually.

I miss the dipstick! Cannot trust these sensors.
My brother has an E60 M5 and the way that thing destroys and burns oil so I feel blessed lol so I assumed when buying the car oil consumption would be there but that wasn't a factor or worry to me when buying the car still isn't.

My only fear with the oil overfill was that I was reading everywhere it was bad for the engine but I guess it would all depend on how much you overfilled it, my initial fix was just to leave it and burn the oil off but reconsidered and took maybe 10 mins out of my day to drain some oil out.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep

And yes I as well admit I should have read the manual... haha
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniomg43 View Post
My brother has an E60 M5 and the way that thing destroys and burns oil so I feel blessed lol so I assumed when buying the car oil consumption would be there but that wasn't a factor or worry to me when buying the car still isn't.

My only fear with the oil overfill was that I was reading everywhere it was bad for the engine but I guess it would all depend on how much you overfilled it, my initial fix was just to leave it and burn the oil off but reconsidered and took maybe 10 mins out of my day to drain some oil out.
LOL, Same here. I had a B7 which drank oil on frequent basis - not a surprise considering it's FI.

Anyways, you did the right thing by draining it. I am just being lazy for the sheer fact that I have only filled it with 1/2 a liter - that, too, after a low oil reading. I don't think that's enough to damage the engine unless I am putting the engine through torture - which I am not until I have drained the oil back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Am I the only one here who waits till the car says +1, then adds a quart and has the car perfectly at the fill line. The electric gauge works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
I think the goldilocks rule is to pour in 1/2 of a litre/quart, not a 1/4. If you only put in 1/4 then the electronic system might not be sure that you've added any, as a 1/4 of a quart corresponds to only a few per cent of the oil volume in these engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
I think the goldilocks rule is to pour in 1/2 of a litre/quart, not a 1/4. If you only put in 1/4 then the electronic system might not be sure that you've added any, as a 1/4 of a quart corresponds to only a few per cent of the oil volume in these engines.

My oil reading goes from min to 3/4 if I put in a 1/2 of a litre.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

the oil system is only able to read adjustments 1/4L at a time. I've always corrected by that amount and waited after 2 or 3 drives for it to average out a new reading before making another level change.
I've had my dealer do the >MAX over-fill two times in a row. I now do my own oil.
      08-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

yeah, add at 1/4 liter at a time and obtain a reading daily for a few days before adding more, especially if you're new to adding oil to your M3.

When you're used to oil consumption rates and reading the indicator, you'll get a hang of how much oil to add to get it to the desired level with one single pour.

I just changed my oil. Came up short at the last 1/8 indicator, then averaged out to a +1 quart message a day later. I knew exactly how much to add...added about half a bottle, now I'm at the 7/8 level on the indicator. Perfect. done this so many times.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
the oil system is only able to read adjustments 1/4L at a time. I've always corrected by that amount and waited after 2 or 3 drives for it to average out a new reading before making another level change.
I've had my dealer do the >MAX over-fill two times in a row. I now do my own oil.
you sure? I'm pretty sure it shows 1/8 intervals...that's how mine is displaying right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #21
antoniomg43
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
yeah, add at 1/4 liter at a time and obtain a reading daily for a few days before adding more, especially if you're new to adding oil to your M3.

When you're used to oil consumption rates and reading the indicator, you'll get a hang of how much oil to add to get it to the desired level with one single pour.

I just changed my oil. Came up short at the last 1/8 indicator, then averaged out to a +1 quart message a day later. I knew exactly how much to add...added about half a bottle, now I'm at the 7/8 level on the indicator. Perfect. done this so many times.

I just picked up a bottle of oil so I will be sure to add it at 1/4 at a time saw a lot that is what a lot of people recommended.
Appreciate 0