New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #45
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Driving feel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4lyfe View Post
to me, i really don't mind the vette's interior....but here are my questions: does it handle like it's on rails? how's the under/oversteer situation? Lots of bodyroll around corners? What about the clutch and shifter feel? Is the steering precise and neutral? Are the brakes awesome?
I only ask these questions because once you take off from nort to 60 in 4.0seconds, you're going to have to CONTROL the car.
here's what C&D just said about the '08 and it's improved steering feel...

"....Even so, we found ourselves driving through the turns 5 to 10 mph faster in the new car than in the old. Because both cars had the same unchanged-for-2008 Z51 suspension package that includes larger brakes, shorter gear ratios, and a stiffer suspension, we didn’t expect such a dramatic difference. We even rechecked the pressures in the Goodyear tires to make sure they hadn’t been overinflated, which would make the new Vette jumpy over the bumps, but they were all at the factory-recommended setting of 30 psi. Clearly, then, the changes have made a huge improvement in the Chevy’s handling.

So, does the Vette feel as good as a 911? That’s hard to say, because we didn’t have a Porsche on hand for comparison, but the gap has certainly narrowed. With the Vette’s increased power, the 911 is, however, now even more likely to be staring at the American car’s taillights. The new Vette runs from 0 to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds and clears the quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 116 mph, compared with 4.3 seconds and 12.8 seconds at 109 mph for the 911. We tested three of the last-gen Vette coupes, and the quickest did the 60-mph run in 4.1 seconds and the quarter in 12.6 seconds at 114 mph."

"...The best things about the Corvette remain, however: It’s comfortable, with its surprisingly compliant ride, excellent automatic climate control, and light clutch effort that’s now complemented by a shifter that glides relatively easily into gear. (The engineers redesigned the shift linkage for lighter, more direct throws.) The Vette is one of those sports cars that you wouldn’t hesitate to drive daily. It even has a roomy 22-cubic-foot rear cargo area. "
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #46
vAnt826
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92man View Post
if u put performance aside............... how would u feel when u unlock the doors to a c6 after a few years and smell that low grade american leather smell. then u turn up the a/c and the knob is jiggling around and the mirror cant stay straight. trust me, my parents have owned the top of the line suburbans for years and stuff like that always happens. and i know some people say the vette is better but for the people who fall for that all i can say is that is salesman smack. and if u really think about it....................... how much do u really drive ur car to its max potential.
just my .02

How would you feel when your brand new 335i Coupe...

Brakes squeel like a 1990 Civic?
Navigation using windows 3.1 (slowness + crashing)?
Leaking window?
Brake light failures (Twice)?
Engine fails three times resulting in lemon?

Reliability is a joke to me. Its a dice roll no matter what car/brand you drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #47
vAnt826
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
i don't know...I still prefer my boxster s...it's a matter of preference though...of course the vette is a rocket though....personally I'm not going to be able to use up all that performance anyway...to be honest I hardly go balls out in the boxster s either...(don't want to kill anyone on the road!) Hopefully I get some time off work to go to a track to take the car to its limits

As an American though I would be proud of a great American car...I would feel great if foreigners said "oh, you're American, your cars are awesome!"
The Boxster is a fun car, but when I had my 2k2 S2000 I smacked every pre05 S I could find. I really don't see the point in owning one. In a $55k car, you would think HIDs would be standard by now. By the time you get all the 'standard' options, you will be buying a $60k sports car that can be beaten by cars much lower in price in all performance catagories. A real performance enthusiast can't fall for that, mid-engined or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #48
greenie
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 650i x-drive m-sport coup

I have an 07 Corvette and while the fit and finish improves with the years, it cant compare to my 07 328XI coupe. The 08 Vette finally has a redesigned steering rack and the handling is much, much better. The interior, though, must be designed by Captain Crunch!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #49
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 35i and 2007 e92 335i

"...The best things about the Corvette remain, however: It’s comfortable, with its surprisingly compliant ride, excellent automatic climate control, and light clutch effort that’s now complemented by a shifter that glides relatively easily into gear. (The engineers redesigned the shift linkage for lighter, more direct throws.) The Vette is one of those sports cars that you wouldn’t hesitate to drive daily. It even has a roomy 22-cubic-foot rear cargo area. "[/QUOTE]

I have confirmed that 22.4 cubicfeet cargo space.

That is amazing. Thats more than my Nissan Altima. Thats double my 335i coupe.

Thats unbelievable. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Rambler View Post
new vette is badass. too bad in a year they'll be all over the place with mid-life crisis owners not driving at even 10% their potential...
Yep, they're too da** busy commuting and working 65-90 hours a week earning a living. Better to give them to the 25- real men crowd as they can drive them to the limits, as we saw on the LIE earlier this year with the 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #51
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92man View Post
yea thats awesome but u still get that dumb american interior fit and finish. i would take an e92 335 any day
sure you would fanboy
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #52
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep

Drives: '10 E92 335i

The vette is definitely a go-fast rocket sled...but I think it's hard to compare to 335i. I mean 50K MSRP for an upgraded sound system w/ heated seats...but OTOH *true* OEM performance parts are reasonably priced...but OTOOH, the charges for upgraded wheels and perforated American leather...eh...this is based only on 07 from Chevy's website, assume 08 price will be similar or slightly higher.

That being said, d@mned if I couldn't use extra cargo room - but is that right that it is 2x the 335i's? Came from a VW GTI, and that was the only regret - not being able to cart around all my carp...

Sub-4 0-60 times...guess the next true frontier is paying for all the new rubber you'll need after 7500 smokin' miles...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #53
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene Hat View Post
The vette is definitely a go-fast rocket sled...but I think it's hard to compare to 335i. I mean 50K MSRP for an upgraded sound system w/ heated seats...but OTOH *true* OEM performance parts are reasonably priced...but OTOOH, the charges for upgraded wheels and perforated American leather...eh...this is based only on 07 from Chevy's website, assume 08 price will be similar or slightly higher.

That being said, d@mned if I couldn't use extra cargo room - but is that right that it is 2x the 335i's? Came from a VW GTI, and that was the only regret - not being able to cart around all my carp...

Sub-4 0-60 times...guess the next true frontier is paying for all the new rubber you'll need after 7500 smokin' miles...
The difference between a similarly equipped 3LT '07 and '08 is about $500. But for that $500, you're getting 30+ more HP, better steering and shifting, plus On-Star, XM and self-dimming mirrors what where additional cost options and not included in a package or base price last year. So really you're getting a lot more car for your $500. (hint, hint, BMW...)

The cargo space is correct, you can fit alot of stuff back there. I took my C6 on a trip to TX recently and had 2-3 suitcases, a couple of duffle bags and 2 guitar cases back there with room to space. If I would have done that in my 330i there would have been no room left in the truck or the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #54
tzuten
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: Jet Black 07 335i

Too much doggin on the Vette. The Vette is one hell of a car. Efficiency to me means HP/TQ coupled with MPG. The Vette does that in a lightweight package. If I were not married with a child, I would be rocking the Vette. However, the mid-life crisis thing may be true... 90% of the Vette drivers in OC are guys in their late 40's and up..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #55
archtop
Private
Rep

Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

I say let's all run to the chevy dealer and trade our 335's in for a new 08 C6 before we get embarassed on the street.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #56
Black Chili
IT geek
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 Black Saphire Metalic

The Vette is more purist sports car; the 335i is more luxury sports.

The Vette is really reaching very high end car performance; its quality is GOOD not great, but Chevy is catching on FAST.

The Vette's cheif drawback is the gold-chain-silk-shirt-guedo reputation, but that's fading faster than the brakes on an '88 Cutlass.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #57
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JephryB View Post
The Vette's cheif drawback is the gold-chain-silk-shirt-guedo reputation, but that's fading faster than the brakes on an '88 Cutlass.
here's the funny thing about that statement, that hasn't nothing to do with the merits of the car, that's a people problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #58
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtop View Post
I say let's all run to the chevy dealer and trade our 335's in for a new 08 C6 before we get embarassed on the street.
LOL...it's one thing to get smoked by a car, it's another thing to get smoked by a car carrying 22.4 cu. ft of groceries in the back...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #59
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzuten View Post
Too much doggin on the Vette. The Vette is one hell of a car. Efficiency to me means HP/TQ coupled with MPG. The Vette does that in a lightweight package. If I were not married with a child, I would be rocking the Vette. However, the mid-life crisis thing may be true... 90% of the Vette drivers in OC are guys in their late 40's and up..
I agree, the Corvette is one of the best performing cars for the money. Look at their 'ring times, some of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinInk View Post
sure you would fanboy
Thats the problem with BMW owners these days. Years ago, it was cool that BMW built sedans that could hang with sports cars. Now everyone thinks BMWs are sports cars. Real car enthusiasts can respect the strengths other cars have and appreciate different cars for what they are. However, around here everyone gets defensive.

Quote:
uhm, as I said in my previous post, I wasn't looking for a rocket...I can just as easily buy a z06 and put it in my garage as well...but I wouldn't buy one...but that's ME..to each his own-I say as long as you're happy with what you drive-that's what driving's all about-happiness and freedom. :rocks:
+1 I have a Cayman now (cancelled my 335 order because I just wasnt excited about the car) Its not really fast, but it is more enjoyable to drive than any BMW I have had recently (and on par with my E36 back in the day) I miss the days when BMWs were lighter and more connected. With the current crop of BMWs, they are getting closer to MB cars (heavy with lots of power)

And to think, the new M3 got beat out by the Audi RS4 (the OLD RS4, wait till Audi starts using the new B7 platform) in recent tests. The Audi, with AWD, actually weighed LESS.... makes me sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #60
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: still deciding what to order

To me the Vette is sort of like an obese girl with a tight snatch. Sure, it performs well, but numbers and specs aren't everything. Drive a slower Porsche back to back with a 'Vette and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you read the price and acceleration numbers in Road & Track it seems like the best car ever made, but in the real world it is just lacking basically everything that makes a good car aside from performance ability.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 05:24 AM   #61
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 35i and 2007 e92 335i

The cargo space is correct, you can fit alot of stuff back there. I took my C6 on a trip to TX recently and had 2-3 suitcases, a couple of duffle bags and 2 guitar cases back there with room to space. If I would have done that in my 330i there would have been no room left in the truck or the back seat.[/QUOTE]

Can you show a pic? I can't fathom this
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 05:48 AM   #62
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
if anyone said the vette handles like ass. it pulls .95 g's on the skidpad.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 06:48 AM   #63
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
but in the real world it is just lacking basically everything that makes a good car aside from performance ability.
what exactly does that mean and that opinion is based on what type of long term experience with the car????
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #64
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

I wouldn't mind owning one, but as others have posted, I really don't like the whole Corvette scene with middle-aged men that don't really do anything with the car except buff it with a diaper.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #65
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '16 M3, Lotus Exige S260

Garage List
I think the 'vette deserves more respect than it gets. Truely, the only real problem I have with it is the image / stereotypes around it. Frankly, I'm much better with the BMW stereotype than the Vette one.

I wish the new M3 stacked up in efficiency to the 'vette myself. I like the look of the BMW better. I like my 335 -- but it is a different animal.

_Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #66
gtb75
Private
Rep

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06

Sorry about my late reply to this one guys... Just got finished unpacking 22.4 cu. ft. of camping gear from my C6 - spent the weekend up at Road America for the ALMS and Champ Car races! Also managed to get 28mpg on the return trip

To address a few of the comments made here:
  • I do agree that the Cayman S is more "alive" than the C6 (even the Z06). I've driven both and the Porsche is definitely more communicative than the C6 - period... That being said, the C6's offer much higher performance for similar money - a little less for a base C6 or Z51, a little more for the Z06. It's a tradeoff - sublime feel or insane performance... Some people prefer the more tactile feel of the Porsche, and I respect that, but I chose brute force
  • My car hasn't required any warranty work as of yet... I've had a TSB done, but that wasn't required. That being said, when the time comes that it does need work (warranty or scheduled maintenance), I have to take it to a Chevy dealer to get the work done
  • Regarding the weight of the LS7, looks like it's 458 lbs - see here: http://forums.roadfly.com/chevrolet/...7247876-1.html
    If I recall correctly, the V8 in the new M3 is 445 lbs... That means the LS7 is producing 91 more HP while weighing only 13 lbs more. The point of the argument - while pushrod engines definitely aren't the highest HP per liter, they are very light and compact for their displacement due to the lack of cams / valvetrain. Bottom line, there are many different schools of thought on how to get the most HP from a motor... There's no right or wrong - just different.
  • Not everybody fits the Corvette stereotype - I'm 32 and don't own any gold chains I also participate in 4-5 HPDE's per year with my C6, so I definitely use the car as it was intended:rocks:
While I do own a C6 (Z06 in my case), I'm definitely not a fanboy... Feel free to look at my other posts if you want proof. That being said, the C6 was the best car for me at the time and I still feel that the current generation of Corvette's represents the best overall sports car value out there at the moment

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon
Brilliant Silver / Tweed M5 - 229AWHP / 260AWTQ
Appreciate 0