New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Porsche pricing is just dumb. I also don't understand the purpose of cars like this. No one can use it on the street and no one takes these cars to the track. They're just all about flexing wallets at Cars and Coffee and talking about how rare the car is and the owner's special options. These 911s are MASSIVE as well.
      Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #24
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Porsche pricing is just dumb. I also don't understand the purpose of cars like this. No one can use it on the street and no one takes these cars to the track. They're just all about flexing wallets at Cars and Coffee and talking about how rare the car is and the owner's special options. These 911s are MASSIVE as well.
Have you driven a GT3? You could easily drive it every day on the street if you wanted to. It’s more harsh than a base/GTS/turbo but it’s not intolerable. It’s one of the most fun street cars I’ve ever owned.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 01:30 PM   #25
ash_schwin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW G80 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [7.83]
Agreed with all the points made on this thread about the pricing. I would also be one of those people that would absolutely get a GT3 Touring with the new carbon buckets and rear seats if I was in the financial position to do so. To me, the 992 GT3 with a manual transmission is the holy grail of what I look for in a 'forever car'.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #26
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I know people that race GT3s in AutoX (and do terrific in em).

Just because you can't, doesn't mean other people can't too.

Wildly expensive, yes...if you want to go have fun tracking a car, you don't need one of these. But that doesn't mean that people don't.
      Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #27
Guvna
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
I see just as many 911s as Corvettes, and associate them similarly.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #28
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
Rep

Drives: '22 GR Z4 Coup '06 Z4M Rdster

Ah the gate keeping continues
The folks with too much money to burn but aren't actually car guys buy these and flex at cars and coffee
Talked a young man last Sunday with a very nice 718 GT4RS and gave him compliments
Proceeded to as him how it feels bouncing off the limiter
He explains he's taking it to the dealer on Monday as there's a problem with his transmission, as it won't allow him to red line
The poor sap hasn't ever taken out of comfort mode and has no idea what manual mode is or does
Worst part is it was daddy's money, he just picked the bright green one cuz it looked cool
These are the Porsche target audience sadly
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #29
beats
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:
At the track events I go to the GT3 is likely the single most common model car present (or 2nd perhaps to M2/M4). Curious what clubs are you going to the track with that you don't see any GT3's?
Appreciate 1
RM73016.00
      Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #30
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Ah the gate keeping continues
The folks with too much money to burn but aren't actually car guys buy these and flex at cars and coffee
Talked a young man last Sunday with a very nice 718 GT4RS and gave him compliments
Proceeded to as him how it feels bouncing off the limiter
He explains he's taking it to the dealer on Monday as there's a problem with his transmission, as it won't allow him to red line
The poor sap hasn't ever taken out of comfort mode and has no idea what manual mode is or does
Worst part is it was daddy's money, he just picked the bright green one cuz it looked cool
These are the Porsche target audience sadly
This sounds like a story that never happened
Appreciate 1
RM73016.00
      Today, 07:42 AM   #31
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

They are still popular cars with track rats, I was at a Karting event at Mosport a few weeks ago and it was Porsche day on the main circuit and a solid 40 guys were pounding around all day with no shortage of modern GT3.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:04 AM   #32
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I know people that race GT3s in AutoX (and do terrific in em).

Just because you can't, doesn't mean other people can't too.

Wildly expensive, yes...if you want to go have fun tracking a car, you don't need one of these. But that doesn't mean that people don't.
Auto crossing is hardly racing. I've driven my cars harder on public mountain roads (and been totally legal) than some of these autocross courses. But that's why people like autocross, you can say you're racing your Porsche but not actually do anything.

I will caveat that I am well aware not all autocross events are the same. Some are held on tracks and they just add some comes to straight sections. But onesase of comes in a parking lot are largely snoozefests to me.

That said, I feel like the vast majority of all of these special track edition cars are sold to speculators, never see the track, and aren't sold to car guys, they're sold to "car guys". The kind of guy would wouldn't know where to find their oil filter and thinks torx and torques are the same thing. Corvette, 911, Camaro, mustang, Ferrari, whatever, the brand doesn't really matter. They're all rich old guys or trust fund kids buying to brag.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:49 AM   #33
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Auto crossing is hardly racing. I've driven my cars harder on public mountain roads (and been totally legal) than some of these autocross courses. But that's why people like autocross, you can say you're racing your Porsche but not actually do anything.

I will caveat that I am well aware not all autocross events are the same. Some are held on tracks and they just add some comes to straight sections. But onesase of comes in a parking lot are largely snoozefests to me.

That said, I feel like the vast majority of all of these special track edition cars are sold to speculators, never see the track, and aren't sold to car guys, they're sold to "car guys". The kind of guy would wouldn't know where to find their oil filter and thinks torx and torques are the same thing. Corvette, 911, Camaro, mustang, Ferrari, whatever, the brand doesn't really matter. They're all rich old guys or trust fund kids buying to brag.
Those who can’t think everyone else can’t too.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:12 AM   #34
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post

Thank you. You put it in much better words than myself.

Yes, there are people that "track" their GT3s and such, but very few are truly racing them. They're taking them out and driving them 6/10 on a track during some expensive track day event and thinking they're really pushing the car. Auto-x is fun as hell and I'm a huge fan, but I don't really consider that track driving. You're usually under ~70mph and aren't really testing the full limits of a car, especially a GT3.

The GT3 has become a different car between now and the 997 and earlier days. The prices have increased dramatically. When accounting for inflation, a 997 GT3 was ~$165K in todays money. The GT3 of that gen is primarily the one most of us see at tracks or they are modded non-GT3 cars that were totaled and then done up to look like GT3s. 991 and especially the 997 and earlier GT3s had much more focus on track duty, lightness, less is more, etc. The 991.2 and later GT3s became a different type of car in terms of options, content, weight, PRICE, and most aren't seeing track duty. They're too damn expensive and valuable in every aspect. Sure, there are some very wealthy people and teams racing them, but to think most are doing that is hilarious.

Porsche has lost it's way and is increasingly focused on it's vast amount of halo and specialty sportscar models that now are squarely aimed at those with deep pockets willing to spend astronomical prices for bedazzled 991. It's all about flex and ego for most buyers.
      Today, 11:19 AM   #35
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

About 5 years ago, I ran into a guy at a BMW track event. He had a GT3RS and said it cost him about $2k in tires every weekend or every other weekend at the track. He had the money and was using the car for its intended purpose.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:27 AM   #36
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Have you driven a GT3? You could easily drive it every day on the street if you wanted to. It’s more harsh than a base/GTS/turbo but it’s not intolerable. It’s one of the most fun street cars I’ve ever owned.
I did drive a 991.2 GT3 last year and then have the owner push it pretty hard on a B-road. Great driving car. Rides better than my 2011 Cayman Base too. However, like most high powered car, you can't have much fun on street, especially a GT3, which requires a lot of revs (and noise) to get into the full power. I didn't find it very fun on the street from an acceleration stand point because you can't use much of the rpm range because you'll be going so fast and creating so much attention from that amazing flat 6.

I will say my 987 felt a bit more connected/raw in terms of steering, braking, throttle control feel, and NVH. The GT3 felt really refined (more like my M235) and made me wonder how diluted a standard 991+ 911 might feel. I imagine it would feel pretty water-downed compared to the GT3.

I'm clearly in a different camp than most of you. I like a quick and fast car, but one that I can come close to exploring the limits on a B-road, use all the rpms of the motor in many of the gears, etc. all the while being a fun track car if I wanted to do that. If I were 15-20 years younger (50 now), I'd probably be in your camp as I was all about max power and speed back then.

I do commend Porsche with sticking to NA, high revving motors. Definitely more tractable power delivery than a heavy hitting turbo which can sneak up on you at the least opportune time.
      Today, 11:31 AM   #37
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
About 5 years ago, I ran into a guy at a BMW track event. He had a GT3RS and said it cost him about $2k in tires every weekend or every other weekend at the track. He had the money and was using the car for its intended purpose.
God bless owners like that and don't keep their cars in a garage except 80 degree Saturday mornings for Cars and Coffee.

When I see a sportscar or super car that has some dirty panels, rock chipped front end, and filthy wheels, all I think is Magnus Walker's saying "Smiles per mile".
      Today, 12:42 PM   #38
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

There are also a lot of people who leave their newer, nicer car in the garage and drive a beater most of the time. I buy cars to drive, not preserve for the next owner. I am not in the GT3 league, though I nearly bought a used 991.2 Turbo several years ago. Prices have gone way up since then so I may have missed my opportunity.
Appreciate 0