New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Today, 06:00 AM   #1
HamboneN55
Rep

Drives: x1 35i

Help Please N55 problem, car wont even crank, starter issue?

Hey guys!
So the wife took her 2013 x1 35i shopping and forgot to shut it off(had ear buds on) and ran out fuel. She was already near low and was going to fill up on the way home... So I grabbed 5gal of fuel and put it in her car.
The problem is it wouldn't even crank... Everything comes on just fine. I hear the fuel pump in the back working, also no battery problems(new battery and full of charge.
blows my mind that the car was running just fine and running out of fuel would do this. Thats why i`m thinking its a starter issue but who knows... if you need more info let me know. Any thoughts guys???
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:08 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneN55 View Post
Hey guys!
So the wife took her 2013 x1 35i shopping and forgot to shut it off(had ear buds on) and ran out fuel. She was already near low and was going to fill up on the way home... So I grabbed 5gal of fuel and put it in her car.
The problem is it wouldn't even crank... Everything comes on just fine. I hear the fuel pump in the back working, also no battery problems(new battery and full of charge.
blows my mind that the car was running just fine and running out of fuel would do this. Thats why i`m thinking its a starter issue but who knows... if you need more info let me know. Any thoughts guys???

Hard to say the starter is bad with just circumstantial evidence.

Any click or other sounds from the starter at least engaging when engine start is attempted?

I had another brand of car that manifested similar behavior. Car electronics appeared to come alive but no starter activity.

Long story short turned out to be a bad clutch safety interlock switch.

With an automatic transmission a bad shifter position switch could be the problem.

Another time with a similar no start problem the cause was due to a worn out ignition switch module. A wiggling of the key while turning the key would have the engine starting.

One more: With an approx. one year old MINI a no crank turned out to be a weak/bad battery in the key fob.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:10 PM   #3
HamboneN55
Rep

Drives: x1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Hard to say the starter is bad with just circumstantial evidence.

Any click or other sounds from the starter at least engaging when engine start is attempted?

I had another brand of car that manifested similar behavior. Car electronics appeared to come alive but no starter activity.

Long story short turned out to be a bad clutch safety interlock switch.

With an automatic transmission a bad shifter position switch could be the problem.

Another time with a similar no start problem the cause was due to a worn out ignition switch module. A wiggling of the key while turning the key would have the engine starting.

One more: With an approx. one year old MINI a no crank turned out to be a weak/bad battery in the key fob.

Thanks RockCrusher for the info.
So when I press the start button I hear a click in the front of the car but
thats about it. Also the whirl in the back under the seats.

The auto shifter is in park.

The key fob low battery light did come on so I replaced it but nothing unfortunately.

next Ill look into the clutch safety interlock switch.
Appreciate 0