New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-05-2024, 02:38 PM   #23
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Sadly the only great warranty experience I've had is with Carvana. Had two issues with the car I bought from them which totaled $3k worth of repairs. They approved the work immediately both times and I got to use the shop I wanted, only cost $50 for using my shop choice. People can say what they want but they were great to deal with. Helps it was a high end car, most issues seem to stem from lower value. Worst was with John Deere.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2024, 03:27 PM   #24
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I didn't realize USAA offended extended warranty support.
As far as I know USAA no longer offer the extended warranty... My story was from 10 years ago.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2024, 04:19 PM   #25
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
As far as I know USAA no longer offer the extended warranty... My story was from 10 years ago.
Dammit!!!
      08-05-2024, 04:21 PM   #26
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
They stopped selling them a while ago. I used to get mine through them. They were through Mercury I believe. It covered a ton of stuff on my CLS500 back in the day.
I got you. It does make sense as I've noticed a decline in their unique incentives to use them over the years, unfortunately.
      08-05-2024, 05:31 PM   #27
vbb
Major
Rep

Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Fidelity and most other warranty companies have different levels of policies. We buy the Platinum level, which is an exclusionary policy. That means everything is covered bumper to bumper except for a short list of excluded items (such as wear and tear components, like brakes). These are clearly listed in the contract and I got the contract and read it thoroughly before purchasing. When I needed new warranties I went back to the same company because they handled claims properly on the Audi.

I’m not suggesting everyone should buy a warranty. Just sharing that it does work out well for some, especially if you go in knowing exactly what you are buying and have experience or know someone with experience with the company.
I appreciate that. I've got a year and some change left on my factory policy for my M4, but I am planning on keeping the car for longer than that so I'm already contemplating my next move. I would say that I'm above the novice level when it comes to wrenching, and have tools that I've accumulated over the years, but I'm definitely not excited about the prospect of handling major engine or transmission work myself, so finding a good warranty company that won't give me a fight if I need them is a big consideration.
      08-07-2024, 09:29 AM   #28
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

I don't know if its a good one yet or not, time will tell.

The engine on my truck blew at 50,000 kms (like 31K miles) and got replaced by a dealer here in Canada where I'm from under warranty, no issues there. I got it back about a week before we left on a driving vacation down to the States, brand new motor. I took it down, was fine up until the drive home where it decided to eat a water pump and left us stranded in West Virginia. So I had it towed to a dealer there under roadside assistance (fortunately still qualified) and we rented a car to take us to the border in Buffalo, and then my mother came to get us (felt bad - she was sick as a dog that time, but she got us anyways) and drove us across the border to home.

Dealer in WV has now fixed the truck under warranty again, but now I need to get it back across the border. It is my reasonable (I think) expectation that Chevy will ship it back across to Canada again for me as part of warranty coverage, given the ridiculousness of this situation. What do you guys think - they'll ship back or tell me to take a hike?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 10:09 AM   #29
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
What do you guys think - they'll ship back or tell me to take a hike?
I'll put my money on them not even offering a one-way plane ticket to come pick it up.....
RickFLM411511.00
DocL2047.00
      08-07-2024, 10:21 AM   #30
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I'll put my money on them not even offering a one-way plane ticket to come pick it up.....
They may not even respond to the request. Then again, I assume he’s going through Chevy-Canada so maybe they are nicer and will respond with a very nice “no” to him.
vreihen1619086.50
      08-07-2024, 03:59 PM   #31
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
I appreciate that. I've got a year and some change left on my factory policy for my M4, but I am planning on keeping the car for longer than that so I'm already contemplating my next move. I would say that I'm above the novice level when it comes to wrenching, and have tools that I've accumulated over the years, but I'm definitely not excited about the prospect of handling major engine or transmission work myself, so finding a good warranty company that won't give me a fight if I need them is a big consideration.
You'd by way better off having $5K in a rainy day fund somewhere than spending it upfront on a 3rd party warranty. Most BMW dealerships and independent shops refuse to do work with 3rd party warranty companies all the obvious reasons. Also, if your car has any sort of modifications, the warranty company will try and blame them.

Save yourself money, time, and frustration and set aside some cash somewhere and find yourself a good independent BMW shop.
      08-07-2024, 04:02 PM   #32
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
They may not even respond to the request. Then again, I assume he’s going through Chevy-Canada so maybe they are nicer and will respond with a very nice “no” to him.
Pretty there's a "Go pound sand" clause which specifically says the warranty doesn't cover travel costs to come back and get your car. This is something he may to have ask about with Chevy Canada.
      08-07-2024, 06:57 PM   #33
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Wonderful. I like the optimism in this thread.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 07:01 PM   #34
Watching The World Burn
Rep

If it helps at all I provided a list of costs I incurred to get back home such as hotels and rentals and that and asked for reimbursement lol.

Might be adding insult to injury but let's see.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 07:43 PM   #35
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
You'd by way better off having $5K in a rainy day fund somewhere than spending it upfront on a 3rd party warranty. Most BMW dealerships and independent shops refuse to do work with 3rd party warranty companies all the obvious reasons. Also, if your car has any sort of modifications, the warranty company will try and blame them.

Save yourself money, time, and frustration and set aside some cash somewhere and find yourself a good independent BMW shop.
I can't speak to other warranty companies, but this is not my experience with Fidelity at all. The Audi, Lexus and BMW dealerships and independent shops I have been to all routinely work with them and the local indy shop who we use loves them. He knows he can be on the lookout for any potential repair and get the work covered without delivering bad news to a customer. Wherever I've been I tell them upfront about the warranty and if I ever came across a shop that wouldn't work with them, I'd take the car elsewhere.

Also, dealerships sell third party policies and some manufacturer branded policies are actually underwritten by a third party rather than the manufacturer. I came across Fidelity because (at least at that time) they underwrite the Lexus policies, which I purchased when I had a Lexus LS. Then through research I found a guy who sells them at a 40% discount vs. dealer pricing for the same warranty.
kscarrol9257.50
      08-07-2024, 07:44 PM   #36
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty there's a "Go pound sand" clause which specifically says the warranty doesn't cover travel costs to come back and get your car. This is something he may to have ask about with Chevy Canada.
Agreed. In the U.S., not way travel costs are covered.
vreihen1619086.50
      08-08-2024, 12:02 AM   #37
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Agreed. In the U.S., not way travel costs are covered.
For cars, I haven't seen coverage of travel costs under warranty. But for motorcycles and particularly BMW Motorrad, those expenses are covered under the included roadside assistance that comes with the a bike purchased new. For expenses for a trip that gets interrupted due to a covered warranty claim, expenses for renting a car/motorcycle, meals, and lodging are covered up to $1000 in addition to the tow of the bike to a nearby BMW Motorrad dealer.

I used the roadside assistance benefit on my 2022 S1000RR when there was a factory recall on the intake cam. It was actually suggested by my dealer to leverage roadside to get my bike to the dealer as I didn't want to ride the bike and risk any damage. I called the toll free number, explained the situation, and to my surprise they said no problem. They scheduled a tow company that specializes in transporting motorcycles to pick up my bike from my house to deliver to my dealer. In addition, the rep informed me I am entitled to having a paid Uber to get me to the dealer to pick up my bike when the work was done. Unfortunately, I couldn't utilize the Uber perk as the repairs went beyond the 5 day cap after the initiation of the tow. Still satisfied with the service I got. And had my bike actually broke down when I was out riding, the roadside coverage would have paid for an Uber to get me home with some mileage limitations depending on where I was stranded.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 12:06 AM   #38
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
They may not even respond to the request. Then again, I assume he’s going through Chevy-Canada so maybe they are nicer and will respond with a very nice “no, eh” to him.
Fixed it for you....
Appreciate 3
      08-09-2024, 06:56 AM   #39
vbb
Major
Rep

Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
This is the direction I'm leaning.