New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-22-2024, 10:00 AM   #1
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 Competition

How can i fix this little curb mark?

Hey everyone so the other day, i ended up cutting a turn too close getting out of a parking spot and just noticed it curbed my rim a little. I’m kinda freaking out cause this never happens to me. Any recommendations how to fix or should i just call a rim repair guy? Just trying to see if it’s something i can do myself or if you recommend getting it done.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2024, 02:41 PM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Rim repair guys will take care of that in no time. Should not be that expensive.
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2024, 04:40 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
Rim repair guys will take care of that in no time. Should not be that expensive.
~$200 minimum in northern VA/DC area.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
c1pher4891.00
      06-23-2024, 06:36 AM   #4
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
~$200 minimum in northern VA/DC area.
Spot on, I paid $225 a few yrs back to fix one hell of a curb rash I had on a wheel on another SUV I had.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2024, 11:12 AM   #5
Portimao Blue M440ix
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: Bmw m440i g22 Bmw 335i e92

That sucks. How about using a black permanent marker to make it stand out less or some black touch up paint. Once touched up nobody but you will know it's there.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2024, 02:03 PM   #6
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portimao Blue M440ix View Post
That sucks. How about using a black permanent marker to make it stand out less or some black touch up paint. Once touched up nobody but you will know it's there.
Imagine 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 09:46 AM   #7
SauceySerb
Registered
Australia
Rep

Drives: BMW F20 125i Sportline Pre LCI

From my understanding if you have 1 wheel repaired you may notice a minor colour difference to your other 3 wheels. Therefore, you may need to repaint all 4 wheels! Just depends on how picky you are!

Have a go at repairing it yourself before calling your local wheel repairer!

1. Start by thoroughly cleaning the rim to remove any dirt and brake dust.

2. Use tape and plastic sheets to cover the tire and the areas of the rim that are not damaged.

3. Use sandpaper to carefully sand down the damaged area. Start with a coarser grit like 200 or 400 to smooth out the rough edges. Gradually move to finer grits like 600+ to smooth the surface further. (Attaching sandpaper to a power drill using an adapter works best and will save you a lot of time sanding. If the damaged area is very close to the tyre, it is best to release air from the tyre to allow you to get right up into the edges).

4. After sanding, clean the rim again to remove any dust or debris from the sanding process. Use a microfiber cloth and a mild solvent if necessary.

5. Apply a thin layer of automotive primer to the sanded area. Follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding drying times between coats.

6. Once the primer is dry, apply the paint in thin, even coats. Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next. Multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat to prevent runs and achieve a smooth finish.

7. After the paint has dried completely, apply a clear coat to protect the paint. This helps to blend the repair with the rest of the rim’s surface and provides durability. Apply the clear coat to the entire area of the wheel including the undamaged area to achieve a well blended paint job.

8. Carefully remove the masking tape from the tire and rim.

9. Optionally polish the wheels at the end for a mirror-like finish.

If you mess it up after giving it a go or if you are not comfortable in doing the work yourself, then get in contact with your local wheel repairer!
Appreciate 1
Raimo5327.00
      07-08-2024, 08:29 PM   #8
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceySerb View Post
From my understanding if you have 1 wheel repaired you may notice a minor colour difference to your other 3 wheels. Therefore, you may need to repaint all 4 wheels! Just depends on how picky you are!

Have a go at repairing it yourself before calling your local wheel repairer!

1. Start by thoroughly cleaning the rim to remove any dirt and brake dust.

2. Use tape and plastic sheets to cover the tire and the areas of the rim that are not damaged.

3. Use sandpaper to carefully sand down the damaged area. Start with a coarser grit like 200 or 400 to smooth out the rough edges. Gradually move to finer grits like 600+ to smooth the surface further. (Attaching sandpaper to a power drill using an adapter works best and will save you a lot of time sanding. If the damaged area is very close to the tyre, it is best to release air from the tyre to allow you to get right up into the edges).

4. After sanding, clean the rim again to remove any dust or debris from the sanding process. Use a microfiber cloth and a mild solvent if necessary.

5. Apply a thin layer of automotive primer to the sanded area. Follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding drying times between coats.

6. Once the primer is dry, apply the paint in thin, even coats. Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next. Multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat to prevent runs and achieve a smooth finish.

7. After the paint has dried completely, apply a clear coat to protect the paint. This helps to blend the repair with the rest of the rim’s surface and provides durability. Apply the clear coat to the entire area of the wheel including the undamaged area to achieve a well blended paint job.

8. Carefully remove the masking tape from the tire and rim.

9. Optionally polish the wheels at the end for a mirror-like finish.

If you mess it up after giving it a go or if you are not comfortable in doing the work yourself, then get in contact with your local wheel repairer!
Did you mention where to get the correct paint? I must not have noticed!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 11:54 PM   #9
SauceySerb
Registered
Australia
Rep

Drives: BMW F20 125i Sportline Pre LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Did you mention where to get the correct paint? I must not have noticed!
I believe the rim style and rim colour name may be embossed on the inside of one of the rim spokes, may be worth taking a look?

As for where to buy the paint - online shopping is a good bet, try searching for oem or genuine bmw paints although may be difficult to come by. I know in Australia one of the major automotive parts retailers offers paint matching and mixing services.

Another option is to take the car into a paint garage and get the wheel colour matched, however, I've got a strong feeling that original posters rim colour is 668 Jet Black - being black it is one of, if not the easiest colour to touch up.

Above colour is just a suggestion though. I would advise confirming your own rim colour before commencing painting!

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2024, 02:58 AM   #10
Sneaky Pete
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M car

If its a black wheel...I've used black rattle can BBQ paint to good effect for years.
Sand, clean, mask up the area and paint thin coats.
Appreciate 1
slilley80.00
      07-09-2024, 11:31 AM   #11
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceySerb View Post
I believe the rim style and rim colour name may be embossed on the inside of one of the rim spokes, may be worth taking a look?
NFW. Never happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2024, 01:35 PM   #12
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

To do it professionally you obviously have to add material to fill the crater, sand a larger area around the damage, paint and blend onto the existing paint.

In my opinion this is something you should just touch up yourself, unless you are ok to pay someone to do it.

Dremell type tool to remove raised edges only and smooth out any roughness in the crater.

After that simply touch it up with touch up paint that is as close to the original paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2024, 11:57 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

No point in repairing that. Come on now. Touch it up with some paint you have lying around and go do something else.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352507.50
      07-11-2024, 03:55 AM   #14
scubajim
Private
Rep

Drives: 16 BMW 435 F33 S2 / 03 BMW 540

Looks like the tire has a nice slice there as well. Keep an eye on it. The raised edge is designed to help protect the rim but not sure how deep that slice is.