New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

10-23-2023, 01:16 PM   #23
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Seems high, I paid $3k for partial on an M2 and that was the most expensive installer in my area. I had been quoted $5500 for the entire car. It was 2 years ago but still 2021 so it's not like it was pre COVID.
Most recent quote I got this AM was 2500 for full frontal and rockers. I’m sure full car will be at least $5000-5500 from this spot.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 01:54 PM   #24
chefwong
Major
Rep

Drives: X5

$24-$29 is the norm for full frontal fwiw....
That was before 2023

This year, there was a rate hike on PPF material....about 15% I think

Just to repeat as a reminder....these guys are using Xacto Knives scoring the film directly ontop of paint these days. The price will be the same of all decent installers in your area. Maybe 1-3 Beni's off....

Find a good installer if your main requirement for PPF. The film is second in the decision making
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 05:46 PM   #25
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder268 View Post
Most recent quote I got this AM was 2500 for full frontal and rockers. I’m sure full car will be at least $5000-5500 from this spot.
That sounds like very fair pricing, now, all you have to do is your homework and research reviews regarding the quality of their work. Also find out if they’re using pre-cut pieces or not.
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 06:32 PM   #26
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
That sounds like very fair pricing, now, all you have to do is your homework and research reviews regarding the quality of their work. Also find out if they’re using pre-cut pieces or not.
So it’s Xpel ultimate fusion and it is precut but was told they’d to larger pieces where they are able to tuck the ppf. So that makes me feel better about it being precut. My biggest question is how to maintain the ppf in the winter time? Especially if I went with high impact zones only how do you keep ppf clean? Not like I have the ability to hand wash and can’t use touchless carwash which I did last winter with my car now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 06:57 PM   #27
chefwong
Major
Rep

Drives: X5

Not touchless, but are coin ops a option - just be mindful of the pressure head when you get to the edges...
Don't use touchless cause the laser jets is indiscriminate and may lift the edges of your PPF .
The jet's are way too strong - that's what helps make it touchless wash

There is nothing wrong with pre-cut depending on what panel getting installed. Re-read the remark on drawbacks with custom edges. Not all edges will lift but PPF does move as it cures and u will get a lift or two on custom. There is a much less of a chance on lifting when it's not wrapped on an edge. Wrapped on an edge is great when it's also -tucked- IME. When it's tucked, it never lifts IME. But wrapped edges get a bit tricky depending on the panel......and how well it was adhered by the installer. Sometimes those edges will look perfect upon pickup but PPF moves as it cures. What generally happens is after the 1st month+, you will end up visiting the same installer, who will either glue the lifts, or trim it off and upon review if it's really bad....and the installer is picky and OCD, he may want to redo a panel from scratch. And it's not just the 1st month post visit. Sometimes, things lift over time and the same warranty of glue, trim or redo is the same options...I tend to avoid the glue, as IMO, the glue is too strong and I don't want to risk the chance if/when the PPF get's removed and it pulls paint up with it

This is why you don't penny pinch between the installers you choose. IME, it's only 3-4 hundred spread between the equally competent skilled installers of high caliber within the same regional local. The ones that don't quibble about a full panel redo when ## happens , which it does, but everyone has different eyes and expectations for this stuff

The poll on pricing is very regional so what cost XXX here doesn't cost XXX elsewhere - it really is what the market will bear.

Last edited by chefwong; 10-24-2023 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2023, 10:13 AM   #28
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Manual

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
I’ve had both Suntek and XPEL and both were great. I think the pricing is high. 2300 for full front end, mirror caps and 35% ceramic tint. They wanted 5500 to do the entire car. I live in a small town that happens to be 15 minutes for the BMW X3-X7 final assembly plant and Performance center and I found out who they use for PPF and went with them. I’m very happy with the results. I’ve already had a few members DM me as they are picking their cars up at the performance center and wanted to know who I used before they made the long trip home from the plant.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:35 AM   #29
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I’ve had both Suntek and XPEL and both were great. I think the pricing is high. 2300 for full front end, mirror caps and 35% ceramic tint. They wanted 5500 to do the entire car. I live in a small town that happens to be 15 minutes for the BMW X3-X7 final assembly plant and Performance center and I found out who they use for PPF and went with them. I’m very happy with the results. I’ve already had a few members DM me as they are picking their cars up at the performance center and wanted to know who I used before they made the long trip home from the plant.
Second quote seems more reasonable at my local spot. $2500 for full front and rockers seems on the more reasonable side for Xpel in my area. I’m leaning towards just sticking with high impact zones one the car. I know the ease of a full csr is great but I just am having a hard time justifying the cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #30
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder268 View Post
Hi everyone,

I’m considering going PPF on by G80 arriving this week. I’m stock on the typical is it worth it? Obviously cost is large I’ve gotten quotes from 6500-7800. SunTek is 6500 whereas Xpel is 7800. Both films have the ceramic built in. Does anyone have experience? I know the investment is a losing argument and will never recoup the money. When I stated considering partial and all high impact areas, it’s near 4500-5000. Anyone in upstate NY have options? Dutchess/Putnam. Thanks for the help!
Totally understand your predicament, was in the same boat about 4 years ago when I took delivery of my M2C. I ended up going full body PPF (XPEL, Ultimate+), due to being crazy OCD and felt it was worth the peace of mind. However, I'm also in a fairly LCOL area and I believe I paid about $4,800 all in. Certainly tough to stomach being somewhat close to 10% of the new cost of the car, but it is what it is.

I've ceramic coated it myself since, and the car truly looks amazing all the time, is protected, and it's pretty hard to tell it's been wrapped, unless you know where to look.

For a real world data point supporting the expense being worth it - my car was at the dealer for annual oil change yesterday, despite my PTSD and hatred for handing the keys over to anyone, especially the dealer. As usual, took pictures of every angle of the car prior to handing keys over, while standing in the drop off area waiting for service. Have an eye on the car from moment the porter drives it across the lot to the actual service bays, and eyes on it when it returned. Get it back, only to notice a 6-7inch vertical dent in the driver's door! How in the world could this have happened? Car hasn't been parked next to any other vehicles, went straight to the lift, and came right back to me in the pickup section. Welp, as it turns out, the technician opened the driver door directly into the post on the 2-post lift, leaving the perfectly vertical dent. Arguably the worst part of it all, is that the tech absolutely knew they'd dinged it, given the fingerprint running top to bottom of the door, directly over the dent line (and the rest of the car being covered in dust - obviously instruct the dealer to not wash the car post-service), but it wasn't brought to my attention and required me noticing the second I parked the car in my garage at home. While the dent is pretty bad, and BMW is picking up the bill for the fix, my PDR guy indicated he can fix it as good as new, and that I was very lucky I had the door wrapped in XPEL, otherwise we'd be talking about paint, and blending into neighboring panels for the LBB to blend well enough to not be noticeable. YMMV, but if you have the coin, plan to keep the car for a long time, and are OCD enough about keeping it in as good of shape as possible, I think it's worth it - and at the very least, having the full front clip (front bumper, headlights, fenders, hood, mirror caps) done is a must, and obviously significantly cheaper than entire car.
Appreciate 4
      10-26-2023, 04:44 PM   #31
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Totally understand your predicament, was in the same boat about 4 years ago when I took delivery of my M2C. I ended up going full body PPF (XPEL, Ultimate+), due to being crazy OCD and felt it was worth the peace of mind. However, I'm also in a fairly LCOL area and I believe I paid about $4,800 all in. Certainly tough to stomach being somewhat close to 10% of the new cost of the car, but it is what it is.

I've ceramic coated it myself since, and the car truly looks amazing all the time, is protected, and it's pretty hard to tell it's been wrapped, unless you know where to look.

For a real world data point supporting the expense being worth it - my car was at the dealer for annual oil change yesterday, despite my PTSD and hatred for handing the keys over to anyone, especially the dealer. As usual, took pictures of every angle of the car prior to handing keys over, while standing in the drop off area waiting for service. Have an eye on the car from moment the porter drives it across the lot to the actual service bays, and eyes on it when it returned. Get it back, only to notice a 6-7inch vertical dent in the driver's door! How in the world could this have happened? Car hasn't been parked next to any other vehicles, went straight to the lift, and came right back to me in the pickup section. Welp, as it turns out, the technician opened the driver door directly into the post on the 2-post lift, leaving the perfectly vertical dent. Arguably the worst part of it all, is that the tech absolutely knew they'd dinged it, given the fingerprint running top to bottom of the [...]
Seriously appreciate the input here. At this point I think I’ve convinced myself enough to pull the trigger and go for full frontal/high impact zones + rockers. Your instance at the dealer is exactly why I am back and forth thinking about full ppf. I am 2/3 year max car guys but this is a car I plan on holding onto for longer then that. The internal battle continues!
Appreciate 1