New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
JackMK
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2024 X3M Comp & 2023 M2

Avoiding water spots?

What should I do to avoid getting water spots on my car? I live in South FL, where it's generally hot during the summer. Mainly I wait until just before sundown to wash because that's the only way of getting shade on my driveway, but I was wondering if there's something I could do to prevent water spots other than a DI tank. Something like a spray wax I heard of, but I'm not sure. I currently have griots 3-1, but I'd like to have something more economical
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: X5 40i xDrive

You can try Koch Chemie Fse. Personally I use Optimum No Rinse as a quick detailer mixed at 16:1 ratio using deionised water in a trigger sprayer to remover any water spots, it works a treat too.

Here's mine after using ONR as a quick detailer.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 05:11 PM   #3
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Having a good "protective layer" with either something like Griot's 3 in 1 spray ceramic or equivalent or a good carnuba way, you can use a blower too rid the surface of water droplets quickly with a leaf blower (dedicated on) or compressed air. The downside of carnuba in the "oven zone" of the country is that it does not last very long on dark colored cars. I was a carnuba user but now use Griot's 3 in 1 which gives me good results these days
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 05:30 PM   #4
JackMK
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2024 X3M Comp & 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
Having a good "protective layer" with either something like Griot's 3 in 1 spray ceramic or equivalent or a good carnuba way, you can use a blower too rid the surface of water droplets quickly with a leaf blower (dedicated on) or compressed air. The downside of carnuba in the "oven zone" of the country is that it does not last very long on dark colored cars. I was a carnuba user but now use Griot's 3 in 1 which gives me good results these days
Its just if I do opt to wash in direct sun, the paint is burning hot even if I rinse it with water to help it cool down
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 07:45 PM   #5
07ImolaRot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 Z4M, 05 M3, 13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMK View Post
Its just if I do opt to wash in direct sun, the paint is burning hot even if I rinse it with water to help it cool down
you should never wash it in direct sunlight. My neighbor has a yellow car and he ALWAYS washes it during sunlight so it dries "quicker" You would be cooking soapy water into your clear coat before you even get to go over all the panels with the wash mitt and face the same challenge when it comes to drying. Wash early morning or late at night when its cooler, in the shade and always have a layer of wax so water flows away easier and has a hard time etching the clear coat when you rinse. Use a leaf blower to blast most of it away then quickly absorb the rest of the water with a absorbent towel. You'll still be left with water spots so you can go over the rest with a quick detailer to wipe it dry and reinforce the wax. come back an hour later and you will find water dripping the the cervices of your hood/trunk/mirrors or trunk.... and we havent even gotten to the silver wheels that hide water spots well... so basically its a PITA and a big challenge to wash a car and not end up with water spots. you just want to make sure the sediments and minerals dont bake into the clear coat
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 04:03 PM   #6
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
United_States
Rep

Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Waterless wash in the garage works well if the car isn't too dirty. Been using Wolfgang Uber for years. I mix up less than an ounce with water in a spray bottle, and then its just spray & wipe with microfiber towels. Won't leave any marring even on a black car if you're good about keeping your towels healthy and don't press hard.

https://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wolf...less-wash.html
      06-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #7
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

My A8L is such a large car it felt impossible not to have spots. I switched to a spotfree soap, set up a RO and DI system and bought better towels, now I'm completely spot free.

I had a salt water aquarium so I already had a RO/DI system laying around, thankfully. Stuck the system in my garage and hooked it up to my lawn irrigation, this way everytime the irrigation runs it makes water which in turn fills a 35 gallon tuffy can.

When I'm ready to wash I just stick my Ryobi stick pump in the water tank hook a hose up and go to town. I can spot free 4+ cars on a fill. Takes about two weeks to make that much water and it also has a float switch so it can't overfill. I use the rejected water for watering plants.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 07:54 AM   #8
Hound Passer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 435i Convertible

Any opinions here on Chemical Guys After Wash Sprayable Gloss Boosting Car Wash Drying Aid?

My water spot problem is only w/ the glass roof of my X3. I can't reach the center of the roof to completely dry it. Would spraying this on the glass after washing do the trick? Or is there something better?

FWIW I'm using Meguiar's Gold Car Wash. I only have about 1/3 left so I'm amenable to trying a different car wash that might be better at eliminating water spots w/o hand drying.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Poorboys easy apply blue liquid polish with carnauba wax, can be used in sun or shade, after a Simoniz car wash gets it done for the summer.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 05:24 PM   #10
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Any opinions here on Chemical Guys After Wash Sprayable Gloss Boosting Car Wash Drying Aid?

My water spot problem is only w/ the glass roof of my X3. I can't reach the center of the roof to completely dry it. Would spraying this on the glass after washing do the trick? Or is there something better?

FWIW I'm using Meguiar's Gold Car Wash. I only have about 1/3 left so I'm amenable to trying a different car wash that might be better at eliminating water spots w/o hand drying.
If you can't reach the roof then buy some steps, I use a folding aluminium platform to get to my X5's roof.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 10:36 PM   #11
GSMCCASH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 550i (2023)

Garage List
Best way to prevent waterspots is wash you car at dusk, out of the sun or in your garage if possible. Wash sections at a time and rinse keeping the entire car wet by rinsing or misting at all times until ready to shammy. Never wash in blistering sunlight and make sure surface is cool to the touch…not hot.

Use a good car wash liquid….not Dawn.

I use the following items for paint and detail inside my garage:
Zaino car wash ( and Zaino polishes as well as other products, clay bar if needed)
Griots shammy ( natural or synthetic)
Griots waffle drying towels, these dry the surface fast without streaking.
Adam’s Polish wheel cleaner.

Also, I never use wax. I always Zaino polish and spritzer. This picture is a 12 year old factory black painted car door reflection cared for by Zaino polishes each year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 11:33 AM   #12
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Water softener
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 04:48 PM   #13
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
Water softener
Optimum No Rinse can be used as a water softener but it tends to kill the shampoo suds in your wash bucket.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 05:26 PM   #14
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Deionizer! And get a pop-up tent thingy... But washing in direct hot sun really is trouble. Can wash at dusk... Or early morning before sun is up and direct overhead and hottest... Try it!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 05:30 PM   #15
Ralph III
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Hello OP,
14 years extensive professional detail experience and advice....

Do not wash your car in the heat of the day but especially in direct sunlight. Secondly, make sure your vehicle stays wet during the entire washing and drying process. Make sure you use a quality car wash soap such as Griots, Meguiars, and/or Mothers. Those are my favorites. Thirdly, you need to start using some sort of spray wax/sealant after most washes and apply a wax on occasion. This makes follow up washes easier and it helps to insure contaminants do not stick. Lastly, make sure to dry your vehicle thoroughly. I like to use a damp microfiber in my lead hand and a dry microfiber in my follow up hand to get any remaining water.

The above will go a long way in preventing spots. However, you could also incorporate a filter system and/or rinse with distilled water. Spots are the mineral deposits that are left behind after the water has evaporated. Distilled and de-ionized water is purified water, which quality car washes use, and will not cause spotting. You can wash and rinse your vehicle with regular tap water but use a gallon or two of distilled water for the final rinse. That should eliminate all spots.

I do not recommend water-less car washes! You are simply going to impart microscopic scratches with such. It's always best to wash/rinse with water.

Good luck,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 06-23-2023 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
dcg7182.50