New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-18-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Drives: Fast

Winamp Remote is friggin awesome!

I just downloaded the beta of Winamp's Remote Beta program and it is a sick little program. I don't know how many of you are audio/videophiles like myself, but this is a great solution for streaming your media from a desktop to an Xbox, laptop or whatever. It's basically like the old-school shoutcast servers except now it's run all over port 80 and you have a nice little web interface to set up your playlists and such. You can also permission it down to certain users so you don't have stream leeches. Best thing about using port 80 is that most companies either allow 80 out unmolested or proxy it, which this works over proxies too...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3

nice! ive been looking for an easy way to stream my media to my 360
btw add me, GT = EOE Thriller
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 340xi

Which AVR are you streaming through?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Which AVR are you streaming through?

I use winamp. vlc, wmp, etc, but mostly vlc. Winamp remote has a setting so you can change stream types from windows media to real player, to whatever, also has a built in flash player.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
I use winamp. vlc, wmp, etc, but mostly vlc. Winamp remote has a setting so you can change stream types from windows media to real player, to whatever, also has a built in flash player.
So you stream video over your 'videolan client', to play it on a TV? Do you run the signal through a receiver (Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Quote:
So you stream video over your 'videolan client', to play it on a TV? Do you run the signal through a receiver (Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc)?
only though a client right now. if i had a receiver i would do it through that though (assuming it supported streaming)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Neurorad
Major
Rep

I bought a Denon 3808 receiver ~ a month ago. Allows streaming of internet radio and music files from the PC using WMP11, through a network, to the home stereo. I run whole-house audio through a second zone.

This is in theory, though, as I haven't set it up yet. The house came with 2 (older) receivers installed in the stereo cabinet (1 primary, the other for powering the 2nd zone); the wiring is intimidating. 5.1 in the family room, 7 additional speaker pairs through the first floor of the house, controlled by in-wall volume controls. IR system in place, including a remote sensor in the MBR and a speaker-selector unit. It's too much to sort out - custom installer coming in 2-3 weeks to help. I should post some pics of the wiring mess in the cabinets.

WMP isn't an ideal player; I'd really like a different one (no native FLAC support). Maybe I can use Winamp... ...online search not fruitful.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Quote:
I bought a Denon 3808 receiver ~ a month ago. Allows streaming of internet radio and music files from the PC using WMP11, through a network, to the home stereo. I run whole-house audio through a second zone.

This is in theory, though, as I haven't set it up yet. The house came with 2 (older) receivers installed in the stereo cabinet (1 primary, the other for powering the 2nd zone); the wiring is intimidating. 5.1 in the family room, 7 additional speaker pairs through the first floor of the house, controlled by in-wall volume controls. IR system in place, including a remote sensor in the MBR and a speaker-selector unit. It's too much to sort out - custom installer coming in 2-3 weeks to help. I should post some pics of the wiring mess in the cabinets.

WMP isn't an ideal player; I'd really like a different one (no native FLAC support). Maybe I can use Winamp... ...online search not fruitful.
I know Winamp has some FLAC plugins, but I haven't tried them out yet.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/131643

Too bad most embedded systems run WMP and don't allow others to be downloaded/installed on them. An XBOX with WMP, Winamp and VLC would play virtually every format and codec out there.

It sounds like you have quite a project on your hands. The previous owner must have gotten the AV itch quite badly...

My setup right now is all done via XBOX to amp. I stream the media via XBOX which I then have connected to my amp and plasma. I kept it simple to avoid the complexities like you're having.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
I know Winamp has some FLAC plugins, but I haven't tried them out yet.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/131643

Too bad most embedded systems run WMP and don't allow others to be downloaded/installed on them. An XBOX with WMP, Winamp and VLC would play virtually every format and codec out there.

It sounds like you have quite a project on your hands. The previous owner must have gotten the AV itch quite badly...

My setup right now is all done via XBOX to amp. I stream the media via XBOX which I then have connected to my amp and plasma. I kept it simple to avoid the complexities like you're having.
Setup would be a breeze if not for the whole-house, zone 2 audio, but that is something I love about the house. Thankfully, the house came with these 2 'older' receivers hooked up and working, so I can listen to FM from all rooms on the first floor. In order to get streaming media files, CD, internet radio, and soon Sirius, I'll have to hook up my new receiver; right now, it's a 50 pound paperweight sitting next to my on my office desk (set it up here to update firmware directly through the modem).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Winamp > iTunes
Appreciate 0