THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Tire Ins FYI - Great Deal!!!

05-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

So I got my new tire mounted, no rim damage thank god. My local tire shop, which I believe is a chain, sold me insurance on all my tires for $15 per tire. If more than 50% of tread is left it's a free replacement, less they do a prorated deal to offset some of the cost. PM me for details if interested. So now even the tires that came with the car are covered. When I get my snows and do the same thing it means I'll be insured on 8 tires (no rims) for $120. Not bad at all!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Nice insurance rate for all the factory tires. When you hit another road hole (and you will) I hope the wheel holds up. Have read on here a few people already loss a wheel due to road damage.

Last edited by Delnari; 05-30-2014 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari
Nice insurance rate for all the factory tire. When you hit another road hole (and you will) I hopd the wheel holds up. Have read on here a few people already loss a wheel due to road damage.
I can self insure the wheels at this point. With all the tires covered for $120 I'd have to destroy 4 BMW rims or 8 of my winter Enkei (or some combo of both) to have been better off with the dealer insurance.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I wonder which one is more painless to deal with. I had a piece of metal lodge itself into my tire a few months back. Filled the tire up, drove to the nearest BMW center, got it replaced immediately and was on my way. Other than e-mailing back a signed receipt to the BMW center, there was nothing else I had to deal with.

If you get tire insurance from a chain like America's Tire, it might be good, since they have many centers, large inventory warehouses to keep popular tire models, and a relationship with the insurer to handle issues seamlessly. But it would be cool to have first hand experience with this. Also, do they cover TPM replacement, mounting, balancing and disposal fees?

I don't even worry about rims anymore. I'm riding on pretty tight suspension, 19" runflats (35/30 series) and have never felt like my rims were in danger. But then again I live in Los Angeles. Our roads are pretty marvelous compared to the north.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4
So I got my new tire mounted, no rim damage thank god. My local tire shop, which I believe is a chain, sold me insurance on all my tires for $15 per tire. If more than 50% of tread is left it's a free replacement, less they do a prorated deal to offset some of the cost. PM me for details if interested. So now even the tires that came with the car are covered. When I get my snows and do the same thing it means I'll be insured on 8 tires (no rims) for $120. Not bad at all!
very interesting. so can I simply take my car (I will have RFT) to any chain and get this on the existing tires, or did you have to buy tires from them to be eligible for the insurance?

I was planning on using the 1K rebate for the T/R insurance, but now I'm not so sure....

thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
very interesting. so can I simply take my car (I will have RFT) to any chain and get this on the existing tires, or did you have to buy tires from them to be eligible for the insurance?

I was planning on using the 1K rebate for the T/R insurance, but now I'm not so sure....

thanks for the info!
I ordered a tire from Tire Rack because I doubted they had one in stock and it happened over the holiday weekend, so I wanted it ASAP. I am out of town so my father took it this morning to drop it off to be mounted and balanced. When he was paying they asked if he wanted to add tire insurance to all of the tires on the car. So nothing was purchased through them except for mounting / balancing labor.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I wonder which one is more painless to deal with. I had a piece of metal lodge itself into my tire a few months back. Filled the tire up, drove to the nearest BMW center, got it replaced immediately and was on my way. Other than e-mailing back a signed receipt to the BMW center, there was nothing else I had to deal with.

If you get tire insurance from a chain like America's Tire, it might be good, since they have many centers, large inventory warehouses to keep popular tire models, and a relationship with the insurer to handle issues seamlessly. But it would be cool to have first hand experience with this. Also, do they cover TPM replacement, mounting, balancing and disposal fees?

I don't even worry about rims anymore. I'm riding on pretty tight suspension, 19" runflats (35/30 series) and have never felt like my rims were in danger. But then again I live in Los Angeles. Our roads are pretty marvelous compared to the north.
I can get all the details for you later, I am out of town and my father took the car for me and just sent me a text with very minimal details so I could get a refund from Tire Rack for the $20 insurance I already purchased for the one tire I was having replaced. When he said "everything is covered" I believe him, he knows what he's doing with this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post

thanks for the info!
I ordered a tire from Tire Rack because I doubted they had one in stock and it happened over the holiday weekend, so I wanted it ASAP. I am out of town so my father took it this morning to drop it off to be mounted and balanced. When he was paying they asked if he wanted to add tire insurance to all of the tires on the car. So nothing was purchased through them except for mounting / balancing labor.
thanks for the info. going to inquire at my local about this. would be great to drive off the lot and immediately go there and purchase insurance for a tenth of the bmw cost...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah my logic was you can fuck up a tire but not a wheel, it's basically impossible to bend a rim without destroying a tire. So I've got the weakest link covered.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

FYI...another possible source for tire warranty. DiscountTire has sold me their warranty on a couple of new cars whose tires I did not buy from them.
Appreciate 0