Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

E90 vs. F80

I know both cars have their pro's and Cons. Now I would just like to hear everyone thoughts on which would you prefer if the car was never going to see a track. Sounds like the new F80 from the reviews will be much better for your typical road driving. As it's not often on roads that one would ever reach the RPM's to make it feel "alive". Am I thinking about this correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

put your flame suit on bud.. this topic has been beaten to death million times already.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just zipped up.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

05-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Yeah get an M car but never go to the track.... It's all about the badge nowadays it seems.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

It may be better for everyone's sanity that all E9x comparisons be contained in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Yeah get an M car but never go to the track.... It's all about the badge nowadays it seems.
these M cars are made for be driven daily. i rarely see the track. i still wanted a performance car. and i can tell you the M3 looks, sounds, and feels better than the 335i on the road!

also not everyone lives near tracks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

the F80 seems to have a better suited engine for daily driving. more useable power it seems. although i was never one of the people who had a problem with the E90 daily driving it. '

either car would work perfect for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

You are going to get killed with this one.

My thoughts are the same as always: F80 if you want the warranty, the former if you want beauty. and F82 if you are on your way to become an X6M buyer.

Now they have two targets to hit, let's run!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

E90 - Looks, Interior Party Quality, Overall Extremely Solid Feel, Hydraulic Steering
F80 - Engine, Tranny, Weight, Better Balance, Better Chassis

...i just started a fire.
      05-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Test drive both for yourself. F8x all the way though. Better mpg and more torque
      05-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
oh god........

why don't we just start a thread on benghazi while we are at it?

sigh. hope you are ready to lose the entire point of your original post to a flaming war of "the E90 is the greatest thing that has happened since I lost my virginity" vs "how dare you call the F8x that, it is like me saying about yo momma that she...." in 3, 2, 1....

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
My thoughts are the same as always: F80 if you want the warranty, the former if you want beauty. and F82 if you are on your way to become an X6M buyer.
amen sister.

(but don't you have an F82 on order?)

[and, yes, i know i just posted about what a shit show flame war this would turn into. doesn't mean i dont wanna take part though......benghazi!]
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
amen sister.

(but don't you have an F82 on order?)

[and, yes, i know i just posted about what a shit show flame war this would turn into. doesn't mean i dont wanna take part though......benghazi!]
It's the real life experiences that make me so damn good at judging others.

Yep, I'm on my way to the X6M, that's why I have the last fling with speed and passable beauty, before the stage where being reasonable is over ruled for the need of the badge that will tell the neighbors I own my own grave spot already. The last one is true too, I have many as a letter from the something decided to tell me, They seemed so damn cheery about that, that I asked do I need to hurry to stake my claim.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
It's the real life experiences that make me so damn good at judging others.

Yep, I'm on my way to the X6M, that's why I have the last fling with speed and passable beauty, before the stage where being reasonable is over ruled for the need of the badge that will tell the neighbors I own my own grave spot already. The last one is true too, I have many as a letter from the something decided to tell me, They seemed so damn cheery about that, that I asked do I need to hurry to stake my claim.
Look, I know Seattle is grey and depressing but my god, woman, there is no need to act out by planning on buying something as ghastly as an X6M. Surely you can do something less drastic to get attention like shave your head or join a cult or something?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

F80 is faster then a jeep wrangler. Any year any model.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #17
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stm3f80 View Post
But Jeep wranglers sound so good. And have just an engaging driving experience - more authentic than the sterile F80. And they were invented by the side that won the war against those bavarian driving jerries.

(is there a fancy emoticon/smiley for :stirring shit up:? )
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

if you have a performance car you should go to the track AT LEAST once because you will get the bigger picture then.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:22 AM   #19
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stm3f80 View Post
But Jeep wranglers sound so good. And have just an engaging driving experience - more authentic than the sterile F80. And they were invented by the side that won the war against those bavarian driving jerries.

(is there a fancy emoticon/smiley for :stirring shit up:? )
...and yet these same people who argue for the supremacy of performance metrics will be the first ones clamoring about intangibles (probably not sound with the F80, but we'll certainly hear about handling, poise, luxury, and driver confidence) when the new Mustang and Camaro are faster 0-60 mph, 1/4 mile ET and Trap, around the Nordschleife, around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with Randy Pobst, and in every YouTube video repeated ad nauseum on Jalopnik.

I hate to be a buzzkill. Believe me, I'm not the guy leaving BMW to buy a Mustang next year. I'm all for the F80 to be successful, but I'm so tired of the bickering by all parties. It's constant back and forth and often, like this, unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:27 AM   #20
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
...and yet these same people who argue for the supremacy of performance metrics will be the first ones clamoring about intangibles (probably not sound with the F80, but we'll certainly hear about handling, poise, luxury, and driver confidence) when the new Mustang and Camaro are faster 0-60 mph, 1/4 mile ET and Trap, around the Nordschleife, around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with Randy Pobst, and in every YouTube video repeated ad nauseum on Jalopnik.

I hate to be a buzzkill. Believe me, I'm not the guy leaving BMW to buy a Mustang next year. I'm all for the F80 to be successful, but I'm so tired of the bickering by all parties. It's constant back and forth and often, like this, unnecessary.
You have a great style to write, and I agree with you. This is not something that is worth to be so damn pissed all the time. Cars are fun. I dare you to race me with what ever you are driving now, and I can win or loose and you will still smile as will I in the end.

Let's just live a little. I have several grave spots for myself apparently already according to officials, so if I can, could the rest of you?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:55 AM   #21
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
E90 - Engine - Engine - Engine, Looks, Interior Party Quality, Overall Extremely Solid Feel, Hydraulic Steering
F80 - Looks, Tranny, Weight, Better Balance, Better Chassis

...i just started a fire.
In tis way I can underwrite it !!!

As someone bring it on the point:
  • The E90M3 is all about engine !
  • The F80M3 is all about chassis, suspension and brake !

Surely if you only see the M3 as an daily driver the S55 with its his torque is better than the S65, but if you see an M3 more as something special "Rennsporttechnik für die Straße" the S65 is much more special, unique and fascinating than the S55 simply because its an racing engine in an streetcar ... an engine like the S65 you gets only in really sportscars like Ferrari. The S55 is an very good turbo engine ... but nothing more.

An none could/should say that the E90M3 was an bad DailyDriver ... only his gas milage was poor, but that in the USA the case with many Real DailyDriver-Cars like big Pickups and big SUV.

If you only searching an fast and sporty DailyDriver from BMW than take an 335i with M-Sport-Package ... even in the case of the F30 and F80 this was the case, because from its stiff chassis the F80 would be much less comfortable to ride.

For me the perfekt M3 and "the really best possible M3 ever" would be clearly an F80M3 with all its Chassis-, Suspension-, Drivetrain-, Brake- and Weight-Advantages with an slightly modified S65 engine and the old M-DCT !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #22
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post

Welcome to the internet.

But, I agree. As many many many others have said, these are all fantastic cars (well, not Jeep Wranglers. Or X6Ms (@lups, looking at you here....). Those are both crap.) and 99.9% of this bickering is pure bullshit - nothing but arguing about how many angels on a pinhead or making other distinctions without a difference.

C63s are great cars and many people prefer them to M3s.

New Mustangs are great cars (don't you dare defend the 1992 era 'stang) and many people prefer them to M3s.

E90s are great cars and some people will probably prefer them to M3s (I only say probably because, again, nobody here has driven one. Except UAE. and, for that, we hate him. )

To give a serious answer to the OP, i plan to buy an F80 not and E90. Why?

Target is to buy early 2015. By that time, any 4 door M3 (which is what I want) will be getting on in years in the E90. Sometimes new is nice, even for just all the electronic shittake that comes with the new car (connectivity, etc).

Also, I actually do think the improved mileage wil be something I care about because most of my driving will be in town (I take an LRT or run to/from work so won't be sitting in traffic, just cruising evenings/weekends/etc) with the odd trip to our place in the mountains, going hiking, skiing, etc. (YYC currently lacks a track. Don't get me started....should hopefully a new one in the next 2 years but....still....)

They will both be insanely fast (F80 faster, sure) but I am unlikely to be often cruising around at 200 km/h. The torques in the F80 will probably more regularly put a bigger smile on my face in driving around town.

On the other hand, I have a close connection to an exotic car dude in town who periodically gets 'little' cars like M3s on trade ins (he rarely even posts them on his website, which is....a little more high end) and I could probably save a fair chunk of change waiting to see if a good E90 comes in from him (I got my current E90 3 series from him 3 years ago (when it was 2 years old) with only 9,000 km on it for about what its market value is today). But it isn't just about the money. I like having the exact car I want. And I will pay for that.

I've owned V8s. They sound very nice. I think the F80 will sound more than fine - I expect it will sound good. (don't know, but the only people that have disliked the sound are people who seem to have an unusual fixation with the V8 sound. Unhealthy, really...

Anyway, those are the big things in my own thought process. A lot of it comes down to I want the car I want (which, with 4 doors and MT makes it relatively rare new, let alone finding used with low km). By all accounts, the new F80 will MORE than replace the old E90 in all respects I care about so that is almost certainly the direction we will go.
Appreciate 0