M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

05-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Short video of M5 beating the new 991 Carrera S(991)

here is the video of the M5 beating the Carrera S surprisingly by a wide margin.

Like to hear your guys thoughts. But I have to admit I love to have a Carrera S for the weekend. so nice with amazing handling and pure sports car
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A View Post

here is the video of the M5 beating the Carrera S surprisingly by a wide margin.

Like to hear your guys thoughts. But I have to admit I love to have a Carrera S for the weekend. so nice with amazing handling and pure sports car

Already been talked about legit 5 or 6 threads bellow this one.

But maybe you did not see and I shall answer this one...

Introduce either turns into this race and watch the M5 fall behind as the Porsche excels in turns, or make it a fair comparison, Turbo car vs Turbo car, but we all know the outcome of that, 911 Turbo would win.
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
2013 M5 Black Sapphire( Retired )
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A View Post

Already been talked about legit 5 or 6 threads bellow this one.

But maybe you did not see and I shall answer this one...

Introduce either turns into this race and watch the M5 fall behind as the Porsche excels in turns, or make it a fair comparison, Turbo car vs Turbo car, but we all know the outcome of that, 911 Turbo would win.
Yup. Crazy this thread started again. Silly comparison.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

i think the point is to prove its faster in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 02:38 AM   #5
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

I really ought to rent me a 991 C2S for a week or something given all the ravings going on around here. The last time I tried it, i only drove it for 30 mins and wasn't blown away by it. Maybe it will grow on me with time. I desperately want to understand why it's so highly rated as a driver's car. There's gotta be something about it...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I really ought to rent me a 991 C2S for a week or something given all the ravings going on around here. The last time I tried it, i only drove it for 30 mins and wasn't blown away by it. Maybe it will grow on me with time. I desperately want to understand why it's so highly rated as a driver's car. There's gotta be something about it...
I hear you man. I have not got a chance to drive it. but from what I hear it drives like a dream. I only drove a panamera and cayenne
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Have both, certainly the best of both worlds. However, when I drive the Porsche it feels slow because the M5 is so insanely fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
How is that a fair comparison? The Porsche Turbo car with equivalent accoutrements costs $200,000 compared to the $110,000 of the M5. The 911 S will still cost more than the M5 similarly equipped. When buying a Porsche, you pay a lot to go fast around corners for a car that isn't going to be doing much high speed cornering.

The thing about the M5 that makes it so much more valuable to me is that I have a lot more use for it's acceleration than I lose in it's lack of cornering speed. The insane acceleration allows me to dominate the highway and that is something a nice road car should have. In the Porsche, it comes with a very high price.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 05-21-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
How is that a fair comparison? The Porsche Turbo car with equivalent accoutrements costs $200,000 compared to the $110,000 of the M5. The 911 S will still cost more than the M5 similarly equipped. When buying a Porsche, you pay a lot to go fast around corners for a car that isn't going to be doing much high speed cornering.

The thing about the M5 that makes it so much more valuable to me is that I have a lot more use for it's acceleration than I lose in it's lack of cornering speed. The insane acceleration allows me to dominate the highway and that is something a nice road car should have. In the Porsche, it comes with a very high price.
Are we comparing cars or prices? Fair comparison is Turbo car vs Turbo car.

There is no reason to argue with you since you can not even compare apples to apples. I will say this though, there is more to car than acceleration, and that is why the M5 costs 110,000 vs a 911, which costs more, because it offers so much more.

Don't forget the M5 is just a tricked out 5 series with lots of surgery, sure it is fast and all, but at heart it is still a huge heavy boat. The 911 at heart is and always has been a sports car, engineered from the start as a sports car. From the C2 to the Turbo and GT3, auto sports is what they were born to do.
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)

Last edited by alexey21; 05-21-2014 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

My reply -

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984481

Which is my post on this topic a few days ago -
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21
Quote:

There is no reason to argue with you since you can not even compare apples to apples. I will say this though, there is more to car than acceleration, and that is why the M5 costs 110,000 vs a 911, which costs more, because it offers so much more.

Don't forget the M5 is just a tricked out 5 series with lots of surgery, sure it is fast and all, but at heart it is still a huge heavy boat. The 911 at heart is and always has been a sports car, engineered from the start as a sports car. From the C2 to the Turbo and GT3, auto sports is what they were born to do.
You know, especially for your age, you really write some very factually good and very emotionally rational posts. Quite impressive how you understand the dynamics of many cars and how you evaluate and present your actual real world experiences. So many are "magazine" critics and this will never truly "get it".

Spot on again with these two cars. The C2S in not the M5 comparison car, the Turbo is. However, it is amazing that many, including me, eventually chose and will choose to make the switch to the C2S or C4S from the M5. The overall "driving" experience far exceeds that of the M5. A few test drives simply won't reveal that. Real seat time surely will. I am a perfect example in that it took two full months for me to finally fall for the car after leaving the Porsche dealer on several occasions with a underwhelmed feeling. Hey, even today,having my TTS cab,there are still moments where I miss the involvement of my C2S. However, I am apparently a speed whore so I can't go back. :-) Yes, you pay more for the comparable model when comparing the Porsche vs. a BMW just the same as you do Mercedes to Hyundai. You are paying for more than speed. Price as a basis for considering cars "comparable" is not a true qualifier unless you are weighing interests of affordability when making a purchase.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:

Fair points, but I think the price point of the new 991 Turbo puts it in a completely different category. You will also notice that more than a couple of F10 M5 owners have jumped ship to a 991 Carrera S. Yes, some of the more deep pocketed F10 M5 owners have gone up market to a 911 Turbo, but that probably cost them 50+% more to get there. So I do think the there is a fair comparison between an F10 M5 and 991 Carrera S (although the better one would be with an M6).

I think the fascination with videos posted (like the one that started this thread), is illustrative of the satisfaction the M5 owners derrive from knowing that their cars are faster in a straight line than an iconic German sports car. You are right, the 911 was designed from the ground up as a sports car...yet in a key metric (straight line performance), the big..overweight..cheaper (option for option).. M5 dominates it. Yes, we know that when you start throwing curves and turns, the domination pendulum will swing to the lighter more nimble 991 Carrera. No doubt.

But I also think that 80% of the 911 buying public buy their car THINKING that it is faster in any performance metric than any mundane 4 door sedan and probably faster than anything they aren't sitting in at the time. I think that is where the satisfaction comes full circle. Knowing that you can humble that guy at the stop light next to you who bought the pretty badge from Zuffenhausen and thinks his 911 Carrera is faster than everything else on the road. Obviously, real automotive enthusiasts buy 911s as well and they are not the targets because they would know better and respect the M5 (at least from a roll).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
We are comparing differently priced apples.

Quote:
Why did you buy a used one?

Quote:

LOL! While my car is in the shop getting the Dinan exhaust they have given me a 750 which makes my car seem like a 3 series by comparison. That is a huge and heavy boat. The M5 is more usable than the 911. I can't take the 911 on a decent road trip because it really can't carry anything. I sure can't use it on a bowling trip and I doubt I can even use it for trips to practice bowling. I could use it for going to tennis and the store but there it's at risk due to parking. I can take it out to dinner but hey, the M5 can do that too.

All I am saying is that I don't have that much use for a pure sports car but he 911 is obviously veering away from that given the upgrade to the interior in the 991 version. Styling has also been given a nod.

I am not saying I don't like the 911 and that I won't get one because I will as soon as the oil well pumps it's first 50,000 barrels of oil. However, I will still use the M5 more and get more for my money as a result.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Weirdly I had a new Boxster (Not sure if it was an S or not) jump on me at a light on Tuesday night trying to impress his passenger I suspect. I wasn't expecting it at all so he jumped me a little at the start then I went by pretty quickly seemingly to his disbelief as at the next light when they pulled beside me again the passenger was looking over at me but he wouldn't look
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
You know, especially for your age, you really write some very factually good and very emotionally rational posts. Quite impressive how you understand the dynamics of many cars and how you evaluate and present your actual real world experiences. So many are "magazine" critics and this will never truly "get it".
Thank you ColdList. I guess I got lucky with my parents, who like me are car enthusiasts, and have been exposing me to different cars since I was 15. Unfortunately, I might be wrapping it up with cars for a while as I have 4 dreadful years of Medical school ahead of me soon. Wont stop me from enjoying the Turbo

Quote:
Why did you buy a used one?
Because I let someone else take the initial depreciation hit on a car, and when the opportunity arose, I got the chance to jump on a great deal on a great car. It was always garaged, smells new inside, has warranty, and less miles than the M5.
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Knowing that you can humble that guy at the stop light next to you
This is how it feels lining up next to an M5/M6 (and a 458...and an AMG....and a Vette...and a Mustang....and....well...EVERYTHING) in the TTS!-lol!

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
This is how it feels lining up next to an M5/M6 (and a 458...and an AMG....and a Vette...and a Mustang....and....well...EVERYTHING) in the TTS!-lol!
Everything? I would have loved to have been lined up against your TT-S with my old GT-R...it would have been a VERY humbling experience for you (best vbox run of 10.71 @ 137+mph out on the street with all season tires and no launch control).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Yes, you pay more for the comparable model when comparing the Porsche vs. a BMW just the same as you do Mercedes to Hyundai.
wow

Quote:
Everything? I would have loved to have been lined up against your TT-S with my old GT-R...it would have been a VERY humbling experience for you (best vbox run of 10.71 @ 137+mph out on the street with all season tires and no launch control).
lol
Apple to Apple? Turbo to Turbo?
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #19
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #20
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Tom...sort of figure of speech. Actually more like winding you up because I thought your bringing things like "track" and "track tires" into the discussion (as stupid of a discussion as it is) was not relevant. Then of course we'd need to start talking about things not being "equal" right because yours was modified and since were in different price ranges, etc. That's how this conversation usually goes right?

The deal is that in a comparison of the M5 vs a Porsche it's the Turbo that is the competitor.

Last edited by ColdList; 05-22-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #21
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
wow

lol
Apple to Apple? Turbo to Turbo?
Yes. Stock Turbo to stock GT-R would be the match up. Sort of like Stock M5/6 vs. Turbo. See, easy stuff.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #22
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Yes. Stock Turbo to stock GT-R would be the match up. Sort of like Stock M5/6 vs. Turbo. See, easy stuff.
So basically your only concern is just TURBO
Thanks for clarification
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0