E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help? Input Shaft Damaged...

05-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Help? Input Shaft Damaged...

long story short, we didnt have the pilot bearing removal tool to remove the DAMN pilot bearing.
when we pulled the trans, the bearing was ceased in the input shaft. we tried:
-pullers
-heat
-chisels
-welding a slidehammer to it
-diamond cutting wheels with a dremel
-map gas
-airhammer

end of story, nothing worked since they are made out of stupid HARDENED STEEL, but a stone grinder in a drill, problem is, i cant tell if the the walls out of the old pilot bearing are completely gone already and we cant get a clear shave around the hump where the new pilot bearing is suppose to stop once installed.
i tried inserting the new pilot bearing in, it starts to go in, and im sure it will go in with a little tap, but i know i did not make a perfect hole while shaving the old pilot bearing walls off the input shaft

my question are, where the f*** can I find just a new input shaft to replace it if it comes down to it,
or
if i install/press the new pilot bearing in, how bad could it be if the pilot bearing is not 100% centered in the input shaft? i mean there is a little play when you install the pilot bearing in the snout at the flywheel so im assuming there is a little room for the shaft to play.
FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

so many horror stories on the pilot bearing ,this is why i dint replace it when doing the clutch . my guess is you will have some shutter in engagement and possible vibration
      05-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Input shaft's are not available seperately. If you fuck it up, you get to buy a whole new trans. I hope it's not too late.
Have an experienced mechanic take a look at it, get a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep

well this is apparently a big issues since there is a company out there that actually makes a sleeve to repair it!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...633&cc=1433813
FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10566
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRMTL2_335i View Post
long story short, we didnt have the pilot bearing removal tool to remove the DAMN pilot bearing.
when we pulled the trans, the bearing was ceased in the input shaft. we tried:
-pullers
-heat
-chisels
-welding a slidehammer to it
-diamond cutting wheels with a dremel
-map gas
-airhammer

end of story, nothing worked since they are made out of stupid HARDENED STEEL, but a stone grinder in a drill, problem is, i cant tell if the the walls out of the old pilot bearing are completely gone already and we cant get a clear shave around the hump where the new pilot bearing is suppose to stop once installed.
i tried inserting the new pilot bearing in, it starts to go in, and im sure it will go in with a little tap, but i know i did not make a perfect hole while shaving the old pilot bearing walls off the input shaft

my question are, where the f*** can I find just a new input shaft to replace it if it comes down to it,
or
if i install/press the new pilot bearing in, how bad could it be if the pilot bearing is not 100% centered in the input shaft? i mean there is a little play when you install the pilot bearing in the snout at the flywheel so im assuming there is a little room for the shaft to play.
-It will be fine... I've had this happen many times. Press the new one in and get that thing back together!
      05-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
-It will be fine... I've had this happen many times. Press the new one in and get that thing back together!
just the answer i was looking for!
im gonna smooth in the back of the shaft to get the "hump" more defined and press in the pilot bearing with some loctite!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRMTL2_335i View Post
just the answer i was looking for!
im gonna smooth in the back of the shaft to get the "hump" more defined and press in the pilot bearing with some loctite!
-Let us know how it turns out...