E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Malfunction...Code: 2E9F and 30FF

05-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
b3njam1n
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Engine Malfunction...Code: 2E9F and 30FF

I just got my car 3 weeks ago, and installed the JB4 on my 335i 4 days ago, and today, while i was driving to work, the engine malfunction light came on. I was scared as shit since i've heard many problems with the HPFP on 335i and many more, but the code 2E9F, the oil level sensor and 30FF, which is the boost pressure being low. Have this happened to anyone here? The car had the HPFP replaced when it had 10k miles, now the car has 55k miles on it. I was running on Map 1, the car is COMPLETELY stock. Anyone know what the problem could be? I cleared the code and am running on map 0 now. My guess is that there is a leak in one of the hose? Anyone can help?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #2
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3njam1n View Post
I just got my car 3 weeks ago, and installed the JB4 on my 335i 4 days ago, and today, while i was driving to work, the engine malfunction light came on. I was scared as shit since i've heard many problems with the HPFP on 335i and many more, but the code 2E9F, the oil level sensor and 30FF, which is the boost pressure being low. Have this happened to anyone here? The car had the HPFP replaced when it had 10k miles, now the car has 55k miles on it. I was running on Map 1, the car is COMPLETELY stock. Anyone know what the problem could be? I cleared the code and am running on map 0 now. My guess is that there is a leak in one of the hose? Anyone can help?
Running the JB4 I cant see it being a tuning issue, possible but not likely. Check your hoses for leaks. Mine comes on every few months or so but its a tuning issue in my case. Check if your hitting target boost, it could be a couple different things but theres a million 30FF threads on here. I would start with getting a leak test and going from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
b3njam1n
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptJoe732 View Post
Running the JB4 I cant see it being a tuning issue, possible but not likely. Check your hoses for leaks. Mine comes on every few months or so but its a tuning issue in my case. Check if your hitting target boost, it could be a couple different things but theres a million 30FF threads on here. I would start with getting a leak test and going from there.
Oh okok thanks! So would u recommend me running stock map or continue on map1 on the jb4? I will do a leak test in the nxt couple day, but will read more on 30FF... THANKS!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3njam1n View Post
Oh okok thanks! So would u recommend me running stock map or continue on map1 on the jb4? I will do a leak test in the nxt couple day, but will read more on 30FF... THANKS!!
It honestly depends how often it occurs. If it happens alot then its most likely a leak or your vanos selenoids. I dont run JB4 but changing maps from stock your upping your boost and it can boost fine at 7 - 8lbs but when you double that your applying more stress (not saying it isnt safe) to leaks. Try map 1 again and go WOT see what it does. I usually only will see it when I really get on it on top of 3rd or 4th. Its because my engine load is trying to push the turbos to a point where they cant achieve. In your case its most likely a leak because of how much a mild tune map 1 is. Also the 2E9F isnt a code, sometimes they are just thrown, your really only throwing the under boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
b3njam1n
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It honestly depends how often it occurs. If it happens alot then its most likely a leak or your vanos selenoids. I dont run JB4 but changing maps from stock your upping your boost and it can boost fine at 7 - 8lbs but when you double that your applying more stress (not saying it isnt safe) to leaks. Try map 1 again and go WOT see what it does. I usually only will see it when I really get on it on top of 3rd or 4th. Its because my engine load is trying to push the turbos to a point where they cant achieve. In your case its most likely a leak because of how much a mild tune map 1 is. Also the 2E9F isnt a code, sometimes they are just thrown, your really only throwing the under boost.

Yeah ok. I've been runing on map 1 for 2 days now, nothing showed up and havent really WOT on it yet, so cars been fine for now, but will go WOT later today or tomorrow and see what happens, hopefully its just a little leak and not something breakin down on me... Also, what do u mean 2E9F isnt a code? So u mean tht code might be mistakenly shown?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3njam1n
Quote:

Yeah ok. I've been runing on map 1 for 2 days now, nothing showed up and havent really WOT on it yet, so cars been fine for now, but will go WOT later today or tomorrow and see what happens, hopefully its just a little leak and not something breakin down on me... Also, what do u mean 2E9F isnt a code? So u mean tht code might be mistakenly shown?
I don't know why but there's codes thrown that don't have any meaning.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
b3njam1n
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why but there's codes thrown that don't have any meaning.
Ohh, okok thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Check your vaccuum lines. I was receiving 30FF codes and resolved it by changing them. It costs $5 in parts and 15 minutes of effort. There are a few recent posts about this very issue. Hopefully this is the source of your issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
b3njam1n
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Check your vaccuum lines. I was receiving 30FF codes and resolved it by changing them. It costs $5 in parts and 15 minutes of effort. There are a few recent posts about this very issue. Hopefully this is the source of your issue.
Ok, i will take a look at my vaccuum lines tomorrow, hope thats the problem and could be fixed that easily THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
+1 ....The lines that run just behind the oil cooler were the culprits in my case, you will need to take the engine cover off the access one end of them....
      05-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
+1 ....The lines that run just behind the oil cooler were the culprits in my case, you will need to take the engine cover off the access one end of them....
I think you meant to say "oil filter".
If so, that's exactly where my issue was also.

OP, you're going to need 5/32" inner diameter tubing. Pepboys (usually referred to as Poopboys) has this tubing for $5 for 6ft. Don't make the mistake of purchasing it from Autozone. Autozone's vaccuum tubing has an outer diameter of 5/32".
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
I think you meant to say "oil filter".
If so, that's exactly where my issue was also.

OP, you're going to need 5/32" inner diameter tubing. Pepboys (usually referred to as Poopboys) has this tubing for $5 for 6ft. Don't make the mistake of purchasing it from Autozone. Autozone's vaccuum tubing has an outer diameter of 5/32".
My bad...yep thats what I meant...the two lines "T" of the vacum line that clips to the stock air box....FYI OP the stock lines may not come off easy just use a razor knife to cut the hose, cut GENTLY in the direction of airflow...then peel