E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clunk while shifting gears

05-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Clunk while shifting gears

Hey all,
Ever since having a Quaife LSD installed a couple years back, I've been having a clunk while shifting gears. Typical scenario:

From dead stop, put shifter into 1st and set off. Then, when time to shift into 2nd, I move the completely depress the clutch, move shifter out of 1st, into neutral, and as soon as the shifter moves into the 2nd gear gate, soft clunk, then I continue pushing into 2nd and engage. Same exact thing going into 3rd. 4-6 are fine, though.

Now, if i'm coasting at say 30mph with the clutch all the way in, and I move the shifter back and forth from 2-3 without letting the clutch out at all, it clunks every single time right at the entry of the respective gate. Somehow if I do the same thing from 1-2, the clunking only happens the first time and no clunking subsequently.

Also of note, the clunking causes some resistance while shifting fast, so either I really have to force the shifter into each gear to compensate, or shift more slowly.

The only other drivetrain modification I have is the modified CDV. Power wise running e30 PTF COBB with cPE DCI and AMS FMIC.

Can anyone diagnose the problem? Appreciate the help!

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Just found this thread by dzenno... Didn't find it while searching because I didn't think to search "thud" instead of "clunk" haha...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409095

Possibilities include:
Misalignment of LSD during install
Backlash not set properly
Normal / non-issue (although I'm skeptical, as some report no thud/clunk with their LSDs)

I had my LSD installed at VAC (the standard in these settings) so I'm sure it was installed correctly and the backlash was set properly... But maybe I should call them up for a discussion...

Any other ideas welcome
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Pinion angle or backlash...