THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions M235i Coding Adventure

04-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

M235i Coding Adventure

Finally had enough time off work to get all the software installed onto my laptop (over 7GB of files). Once installed I took my new E-SYS cable and connected to the OBD II port in the car. Note, if you haven't found this connection yet it took me a while. My old E92 had a little plastic door right above the hood release, not on the F22. Everything being black I had to take a flashlight up under the driver side before I found it. No cover on it, just sits along the side kick panel above and back from the trunk release button.

Fired up the car (you can put your car on battery tender instead) and connected my new cable to the port and into the laptop. Fired up my new software (without the needed token files) and hit "connect" and prayed it would work. After two or so minutes of files loading and the LAN connection establishing communication with the car I had an active connection

Not having all the software fully licensed for use yet I did some simple looking around and check to see if my car was supported with the default F20 file set. I was able to the read my cars VIN and populate all the internal settings in the software configuration. Really cool! I now have access to all the internal data settings stored in my ECU. Save a copy of the original settings (will back them up to be safe) and shutdown. Once i get the token files I will begin finding and coding the different settings.

Pretty exciting stuff that I get to be my normal computer geek self and play with my favorite toy at the same time. Will keep this thread updated with my experience as I proceed.
Appreciate 4
      04-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Very nice! I am seriously thinking about getting set up to do some coding, but have found the entire process to be rather cryptic. It seems that the people who know how to do it are keeping everything quite technical and somewhat obfuscated. Maybe that is a good thing as it prevents people who shouldn't be messing with the ECU from screwing up their cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

You don't need to be a computer software developer to install and use the software, but that won't hurt either. The reason you are finding it difficult to find all the required information and setup in one location, as best I can tell, is that a lot of what is being done could be consider in violation of warranty and/or software rights. I think the people who have ventured into this are vary worried about being exposed to the powers to be, or worst held in some legal contempt for helping others change computer settings in someone else's vehicle.

I had to make contact with no less than 3 individuals who have experience with the process and access to the software before I could even get it started. Now that I made it pass the initial issues I feel pretty good about performing these changes to my own car. I guess we will see shortly as I now have my token to perform the actual updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Where did you get the cable?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

You may be correct about the reason and it would surprise me at all. Even so, you would think that one of the coding related discussion forums would have a more straightforward FAQ or wiki.

Personally, I think what can be done is crazy cool. Things like enabling no-dazzle headlights, tire temperature monitoring and disabling disclaimers are crazy and just the tip of the iceberg.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyinko View Post
Where did you get the cable?
The cheapest I could find. And it works perfectly!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201056990534...S:1123&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
You may be correct about the reason and it would surprise me at all. Even so, you would think that one of the coding related discussion forums would have a more straightforward FAQ or wiki.

Personally, I think what can be done is crazy cool. Things like enabling no-dazzle headlights, tire temperature monitoring and disabling disclaimers are crazy and just the tip of the iceberg.
Here is the .pdf I'm using right now to install my software. Total cost of out pocket thus far is $65.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTALL E-SYS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01) Run "E-Sys_Setup_3_24_3_RC_b38445" to install program to default location "C:\EC-Apps\ESG" (i.e. "C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys\")
02) When prompted, accept to default installation location Data Path of "C:\Data\".
INSTALL E-SYS EST PATCH & TOKEN (NOT INCLUDED)
03) To use E-Sys, you must have a Token solution. There are two kinds of token solutions, "patchless" and "patched".
PATCHLESS TOKEN SOLUTION:
The "patchless" token solution exclusively from TokenMaster includes a custom .jar file and an .EST Token file. This token solution will work, so far, with any
version of E-Sys (3.22.x, 3.23.x, 3.24.x). This token solution though can ONLY use matching .EST Token file from TokenMaster, and is NOT interchangeable
with .EST Token files developed for the "patched" version.
Contact TokenMaster for "patchless" Token Solution:
Installation typically involves:
A1) Copying a custom .jar file to the following folder:
C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys\lib
A2) Editing C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys\E-Sys.bat file and adding a line to reference above custom .jar file.
A3) Setting E-Sys => Options => Settings => EST tab => EST: to point to your .EST Token file (e.g. "C:\Data\EST\My-EST.est").
PATCHED TOKEN SOLUTION:
The "patched" token solution from akiss and others includes two patched E-Sys system .jar files and an .EST Token file. While the .EST Token itself, so long as it
has current validity, can be used with any "patched" E-Sys version, the two patched .jar files themselves are E-Sys version specific, and can ONLY be used with
the specific E-Sys version they were developed for. If you change E-Sys versions, then you MUST get updated patch files specific to the new version of E-Sys
you are using. Generally speaking, .EST Token files used with a properly patched E-Sys version are interchangeable.
Contact akiss for "patched" Token Solution:
bmwesys@yahoo.com
Installation typically involves:
B1) Replacing two E-Sys sytem .jar files with patched versions in the following folders:
C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys\lib\PsdZ\
C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys\lib\estcm\
B2) Setting E-Sys => Options => Settings => EST tab => EST: to point to your .EST Token file (e.g. "C:\Data\EST\My-EST.est").
*NOTE: E-SYS TOKEN SOLUTION IS NOT INCLUDED AND MUST BE OBTAINED SEPERATELY.
*NOTE: ABOVE INSTALLATION IS A GUIDELINE ONLY. USE ACTUAL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED FROM TOKEN SOLUTION PROVIDER.
*NOTE: Both "patchless" and "patched" Token Solutions work equally well, are comparably priced (approximately $50-$70 USD), and one is NOT
recommended over the other. Choose one based on your level of comfort with the above installation requirements and/or provider's
pricing.
INSTALL PSdZData (NOT INCLUDED)
04) If existing "psdzdata" folder exists in "C:\Data\" (i.e. "C:\Data\psdzdata") DELETE it.
05) Copy downloaded "psdzdata" folder to "C:\Data\" (i.e. "C:\Data\psdzdata")
*NOTE: Do NOT Copy new psdzdata folder onto older esiting psdzdata folder (merging them) as you end up with corrupt PSdZData as a result.
*NOTE: E-SYS PSdZData IS NOT INCLUDED AND MUST BE OBTAINED SEPERATELY.
CONNECT AND CONFIGURE E-SYS
06) Make connection from car's OBDII port to computer LAN port with OBDII-ENET interface cable.
07) Ensure Car has adequate power and is switched on.
*NOTE: A continuous power source of at least 12.6 Volts is needed. Failure to maintain proper voltage can lead to corruption of ECU Data. As such, ideally\
the car is connected to an external charger. In lieu of using an external charger, the car can instead be coded with the engine running in order to
maintain proper voltage, which is acceptable for coding all ECU's EXCEPT the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) ECU or DDE (Digital Diesel Electronics)
ECU. The DME/DDE are typically not coded anyway, so this ECU limitation is generally not an issue.
08) Wait a few minutes until the wired network adapter icon shows a Connection with the yellow exclamation point over it.
*NOTE: The car does NOT have a DHCP server, so it does NOT assign an IP Address to the computer. Both the computer and the car will go into DHCP
fallback mode, each assigning themselves a random Class-B IP Address so that they can talk to each other. This can take up to 60 seconds, so you
have to wait until the PC has an IP address before you try to connect). Class-B IP Address range is from 128.0.0.0 to 191.255.255.255. Automatic
Private IP Addressing (APIPA) is a network client-side process used as a fall-back position when DHCP services are not available on the network but the
client devices are configured to use DHCP for their IP address configuration. APIPA allows the client device to randomly choose one of the 65,534
addresses available in the Class B network address of 169.254.0.0/16.
*NOTE: If you are running E-Sys in a Virtual Machine (VM), make sure you set the VM NIC to bridging mode. Do NOT use NAT.
09) Launch E-Sys from Desktop shortcut or run "C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys\E-Sys.bat"
*NOTE: It will take E-Sys a while to write the log file.
10) Under Options => Settings:
A) On the PROGRAM TAB, set the Directories - Data Path to "C:\Data"
B) On the EST Tab, set the Developer-Soft-Token EST Path to match EST Token installed in Step 03) above
C) (e.g. "C:\Data\EST\My-EST.est")
11) Hit the Connect Button on E-Sys toolbar and in the "Open Connection" window under "Target", select desired Target Vehicle based on car's Chassis.
(e.g. "TargetSelector:Project=F010-13-11-504, VehicleInfo=F010")
*NOTE: Do NOT use the Target with the _DIRECT suffix (e.g. TargetSelector:Project=F010-13-11-504, VehicleInfo=F010_DIRECT).
*NOTE:
F001 psdzdata covers the F01/F02/F03/F04/F07 (5-Series GT is an F07 NOT an F10)
F010 psdzdata covers the F06/F10/F11/F12/F13/F18
F020 psdzdata covers the F20/F21/F22/F23/F30/F31/F32/F33/F34/F35/F36/F45/F80/F82/F83 (There is no Z4 F-chassis yet)
F025 psdzdata covers the F15/F16/F25/F26/F48/F85/F86
F056 psdzdata covers the F64/F55 F56 (Cooper Mini's)
I001 psdzdata covers the i3/i8
12) In the "Open Connection" window under "Interface" select "Connection via VIN".
13) In the "Open Connection" window under "vehicle-specific parameter (optional)" Interface" select "Series, I-Step Shipment", and leave the two Dropdown
boxes blank.
14) In the "Open Connection", select "Connect" button.
*NOTE: Window should pop up confirming successful connection)
-------------------------
NOTES:
-------------------------
A) Each time E-Sys is launched, the first time the FDL Editor or CAF-Viewer is invoked, either directly via "Editors & Viewers => FDL-Editor" or "Editors &
Viewers => CAF-Viewer" or indirectly via right-clicking on a module's read CAFD and selecting "Edit FDL", you will need to enter the EST Token PIN. This PIN
comes with the Token solution.
B) Coding KOMBI (Instrument Cluster) module will cause the car to chime and the dashboard to reset including the clock. Simply reset the vehicle Date and
Time via iDrive when done coding module.
C) Coding some ECU's can result in a variety of initial Error Messages appearing on CID Screen. This is common. Just click on "Ok" to dismiss them, and they
should NOT reappear again.
D) Some ECU's take a long time before the changes begin working (e.g. trunk and mirror close). If still not working after a full hour of car being shut off, try
recoding the module again, even if it looks like the correct parameter (e.g."nicht_aktiv") is set.
E) If you want to read an ECU CAFD's last as-coded settings (i.e. net coding data), go to the "Editors & Viewers => FDL-Editor", put your PIN in, and then
navigate to your CAF folder (C:\Data\CAF) and select the desired CAFD file's corresponding read coding data .ncd file. You do NOT need to be connected to the
car.
(e.g. Module CAFD Name cafd_000000f9.caf.007_003_167 = CAFD_000000F9_007_003_067.ncd)
F) If you want to look at an unread CAFD file, go to the "Editors & Viewers => CAF-Viewer", put your PIN in, and then navigate to your CAFD folder (C:\Data
\psdzdata\swe\cafd) and select the desired CAFD. You DO NOT need to be connected to the car.
(e.g. Module CAFD Name cafd_000000f9.caf.007_003_167)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Thanks for posting this. Fellow computer nerd here, so I will be venturing into this very deeply.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

My first visual success tonight! I was able to code the TPMS to allow display of the tire pressures and temperatures.

Now to do some really cool coding next...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Interesting seeing your rears much cooler than your fronts... I suppose more surface area in the rears that are contacting the cement.

Current: 2015 Cayman S on HRE P101
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Was given the Coding for the F30 which I been told is very close to our F22 codes.

Seatbelt warning still on, but bitches longer/shorter
disable seat belt reminder - driver
disable seat belt reminder - passenger
disable seat belt status display - driver
disable seat belt status display - passenger
disable sound on disconnect SB - driver
disable sound on disconnect SB - passenger
Edit short click on indicators
Desired amount=werte+1. So werte=4 gives 5 blinks
Window rolling up/down is not interupted by opening door
Will turn on left/right fog when turning in that direction
Leds on doorhandle will light up when driving backwards
Will turn on left/right fog with the welcomelights
Brightness Ambient light
Brightness setting of Ambient light becomes independant from the brightness setting of the instrument cluster.
Amount of seconds that interior lights will remain on while locking
Amount of seconds that interior lights will remain on while unlocking
Set memory side mirrors (memory saved on profile/fob?) Testing needed with car that has foldable mirrors, does not work if you dont have foldable mirrors
Code for making the side mirror go down when parking. Memory setting required
Side mirror engine built in yes/no
Closing side mirror with Fob
Opening side mirror with Fob
Speed @ which the sidemirror will auto-unfold
Button on driver-side will be enabled to CLOSE the trunk (Requires hardware that is possibly only available in the f10)
Button on key fob will be enabled to CLOSE the trunk (F10 only)
Button on key fob will be enabled to CLOSE the trunk (F10 only)
Adds a slider for the ambient lights in idrive - settings - light
Adds DRL on/off as an option in the idrive (most euro countries are forced DRL while its no required by law)
Adds weatherband to radio
Digitale radio (digital tuner required ofc)
Limited success, i get more stations in the FM range, but nothing in the actual DAB section.
Also the 'saved stations' no longer work.
Also started receiving RDS info on some stations (song name etc) I do not get this on my car w/o these options
OEM alarm required, will give option in idrive to make audible sound when locking/unlocking the car
Sport display. (Doesn't work on diesel? If you have a diesel car and this works, PLEASE let me know)
In iDrive under language selection, the option to change values for Sport display are available (KW to BhP etc)
Ringtone from phone is used.
you can configure the sport mode in idrive
Go to "Route Information" on iDrive when you're going somewhere and it will tell you at what point(s) along your journey you'll likely need to fill up. You can then select that notice and it will tell you about the stations in the area at that point on your trip.
Disable DVD Speedlock - Part 1
Disable DVD Speedlock - Part 2
Video just in combination with handbrake
Change DVD region code. EVENTUALLY THIS WILL LOCK IF YOU CHANGE IT TOO OFTEN (Rumored to be 7 changes max)
Replaces "Surround" on/off checkbox with "L7 Surround" Slider (-5/+5) on Settings=>Tone screen
I presume this is iBrake Distance for Active Cruise Control
Disables iDrive legal disclaimer during iDrive startup. Change the value: ld_mit_timeout --> kein_ld
Disable legal disclaimer on PDC and Sideview Cameras
Disable legal disclaimer on Night Vision Camera (F10 only)
Enables SPORT+ mode (You'll get an error about RPA after coding. Restart car and it goes away) Additional coding required to get the FDS menu complete will come in a later update.
Digital speed in BC cluster
Set to orange/grau to get the light orange or greyish lines as background for your instrument cluster (Only for instrument cluster high)
Same as above, but for daytime
White instrument cluster instead of orange @ night. It disables the navi switch to night as well.
At the start of the HUD will appear, this screen for encoded time. In 1 s increments. 0s = no display
Displays M performance logo in the cluster instead of BMW logo when starting car. (should be one for CIC sidplay too somewhere)
Auto-Start-Stop by default off
Auto-Start-Stop will remember it's last setting
When vehicle is turned off, all doors unlock automatically
Turns left front sidemarker (amber light) off, blinker still works
Turns right front sidemarker (amber light) off, blinker still works
Turns off radio and navi when the door is opened.
NBT ONLY!! Change the startup animation on idrive (default is BMW connected drive) selections: Variant 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 = The default one || Variant1 = M logo || Variant7 = White BMW logo || Variant8 = Brown bmw logo (same as hu_CIC) || Variant9 = Merry Xmas
NBT ONLY!! selects the type of startup (Black screen, Splash screen, Welcome animation) I have not tried this yet.
Max speed when visible and audible warning is given with PDC (km/h in hexadecimals)
Adjustment above or below to CUT_OFF_SPEED (in km/h hexadecimal)
Turns left side tail light (only outside part) on with DLR
Turns right side tail light (only outside part) on with DLR
Turns left side tail light (only inside part) on with DLR (changed with PszData 48.2 no longer working)
Turns right side tail light (only inside part) on with DLR (changed with PszData 48.2 no longer working)
Max. speed to disable top camera view (FF = 255 km/h)
Max speed to disable rear camera view (FF = 255 km/h)
Max distance in meters to disable top camera view (FF = 255 meters)
Max distance in meters to disable rear camera view (FF = 255 meters)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
Interesting seeing your rears much cooler than your fronts... I suppose more surface area in the rears that are contacting the cement.
Drove 50 yards just to get them to register. I'm sure they become more inline after a few miles and the all the tires heat up.

Last edited by Delnari; 04-27-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Just curious, what's the benefit of doing this yourself for $75-ish or getting done at a shop for a bit more? Ability to change things and keep tweaking the settings? Most of this stuff seems like "set it and forget it" unless I'm missing something. This is new to me so just trying to figure out the best route for me personally.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

I think having it done all at once for under $100 is the best way to go. Once you know all the different settings possible. For me, the fun is in getting the changes to work myself. If I find I don't like it after a while I can undo my changes. And like all my accessories, I make sure they are reversible for the next owner to take over in pure stock form.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #15
JBizzle135i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
I think having it done all at once for under $100 is the best way to go. Once you know all the different settings possible. For me, the fun is in getting the changes to work myself. If I find I don't like it after a while I can undo my changes. And like all my accessories, I make sure they are reversible for the next owner to take over in pure stock form.
Plus it's way more fun doing it yourself
M235i Auto: Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather, Brushed Aluminium / High-gloss Black Interior, Driver Comfort / Professional Media / Sun Protection Packages, Harman Kardon Hi-Fi, Enhanced Bluetooth, Lumbar & Heated Seats, Adaptive M Sport Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Very awesome. I tried to mess around with this with my wife's F30 a while back but kept running into issues with having the right files. I'll have to start digging around again and see what I can come up with.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
jrstech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Just curious, what's the benefit of doing this yourself for $75-ish or getting done at a shop for a bit more? Ability to change things and keep tweaking the settings? Most of this stuff seems like "set it and forget it" unless I'm missing something. This is new to me so just trying to figure out the best route for me personally.
If you bring your car in for service they might update your software and all coding would be reset to stock. You would have to re code it.
'07 E92 335i (RET)
'89 E30 M3 (RET)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstech View Post
If you bring your car in for service they might update your software and all coding would be reset to stock. You would have to re code it.
That's a good point. Would someone like EAS save a copy of your settings and just hook you up and hit "restore" or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
modeboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp / HS / DCT

I found a guy in the Dallas area that came to my house and did some coding for me for free. Super nice guy. If anyone in the Dallas area is interested let me know.

He did the following for me:

Close windows/mirrors with FOB/comfort handle
TMPS displays temps/pressures
Disable iDrive warning on startup
Enable DVD video while driving

Those are the main ones.

JB
Attached Images

04-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #20
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for reminding me. I need to take a backup of my SVT file after each coding so I have fallback point in time in case something goes wrong. Will plug back in tomorrow and do some more coding.

Side mirrors fold/unfold using keyfob
Allow keyfob to roll up windows
Remove iDrive disclaimer
Change iDrive splash screen to //M logo
Remove DVD lock screen while driving
Add weatherband to Radio
Add ambient lighting slider to iDrive
Enable exterior mirror lights when in reverse
Change backup camera duration when put into forward drive
Add water and oil temps to BC display

Gotcha on that last one
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #21
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Where do you guys are finding out how to code each feature?
Do you guys can share the values and keys your are changing ?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Delnari! I just ordered a cable. Can't wait to play with it.
Appreciate 0