F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > When do you get the service book
proTUNING Freaks

04-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
M3 VUN
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

When do you get the service book

Alright chaps

Reading the posts on here seems that there are quite a few members who buy brand new from BMW.

My question is simply, when you buy a brand new car from dealership, when do you receive the service book?

Do you get it when you take ownership or after the first service?

I'm asking as went to view a F30 from a private seller who did not have the service book. Car had done 17k. I had already confirmed with BMW UK and the dealership about their work and knew it had not done any servicing work.

The scenario was that I suspected the private seller was trader and did not have a clue about car/spec/servicing etc.. but still wanted to know the answer.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
ColinDuff68
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40d

There is no service book. all the info is on the idrive under vehicle info.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

i will be getting / (demanding if need be) a service book the first time it goes in - i don’t care if it is all on the key - i will be keeping the car beyond 4yrs and i will be using an independent garage later in its life - IMO there is no substitute for a properly stamped book to show the car is well / properly looked after.
if / when it comes time to PX/ sell privately, i want to be able to show the service history in a stamped book rather than ask the garage for a printout.
thats my view on the matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
c.grex
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
i will be getting / (demanding if need be) a service book the first time it goes in - i don’t care if it is all on the key - i will be keeping the car beyond 4yrs and i will be using an independent garage later in its life - IMO there is no substitute for a properly stamped book to show the car is well / properly looked after.
if / when it comes time to PX/ sell privately, i want to be able to show the service history in a stamped book rather than ask the garage for a printout.
thats my view on the matter.
I'm with you on that. Although I think you may have to buy a service book, as I don't think BMW even make them anymore.

The other thing I have found far better than stamps in a book is just to keep the invoices. This way a seller can see what's been done and even contact the garage for further info.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Usually in the glove box like all cars but now looks like they are electronic?
      04-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
uzi9mm
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

I think they made it electronic so other garages can`t update the service records on the car. Resetting the indicator is possible. Anything to keep you in the BMW network.
      04-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.grex View Post
I'm with you on that. Although I think you may have to buy a service book, as I don't think BMW even make them anymore.

The other thing I have found far better than stamps in a book is just to keep the invoices. This way a seller can see what's been done and even contact the garage for further info.
Much better than a service book which can easily be made up with a rubber stamp.

I scan all my invoices and can easily pass them on to the next owner if required.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
petew
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d msport

I requested a service book when I bought my 320d from main dealer and they supplied one, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

All data is also available by having the key fob read by a dealer. It will confirm mileage and service record. A service book can be easily doctored whereas fob can't be programmed elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Aktivemac2
Rep
Drives: F30 320i M-sport

Think it makes sense and fine as long as you stay main dealer. But once BMW warranty has finished, think its a false economy staying with main dealer as good third party garages will do decent job on car that age & any loss in value due to it having last couple of yrs non-main dealer will be more than made up in servicing savings.

Also, although I keep all invoices and that does serve as a full track of my servicing history - think a lot of private buyers expect to see a service book and will find it a bit fishy if you dont have one. So just optically it might be useful to acquire one from somewhere (ebay? or maybe a generic one?) and get it stamped each time

Only got my new F30 2-weeks ago so I have a bit of time to consider my options before 1st service I think (hope)!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
M3 VUN
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Thanks chaps and interesting debate.

I personally would ask for a service book if I bought from a dealer, surely when buying an item of this value the charge of a blank service book is negligable.

The problem with the data on the keys and serive is when its old enough to not be in the BMW network, how would the seller or buyer see this data? Would you meet up at a BMW dealer for this service?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proftinkerpot View Post
All data is also available by having the key fob read by a dealer. It will confirm mileage and service record. A service book can be easily doctored whereas fob can't be programmed elsewhere.

That is the biggest issue, even main dealers will 'add in' missing entries.

The number of dodgy log books or garages happy to give you a stamp for no work being carried out.

Yes agreed should be physical copy log book, however it have no faith in them.

Want a brand new log book, just check eBay, stamps, eBay etc etc.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...ervice-history
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #13
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Maybe just keep invoice/receipts from your services as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Maybe just keep invoice/receipts from your services as well.
Best idea if selling private.

Was with a mate last May looking at cars.

One audi this guy was selling looked good, until guy mentioned bits and pieces of work carried out, he had no receipts and mot carried out at different car to details in service book.
Appreciate 0