F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Finally passed 1200 miles!
proTUNING Freaks

04-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
RichardJS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW330D

Finally passed 1200 miles!

I'm one of those people who run their car in by the book - it was so tempting to "see what it would do" but I resisted. But finally after just over 3 weeks I passed the magic 1200 and started to put my foot down a couple of times. It picked up speed very quickly but I was a little underwhelmed. But then, with 1400 miles on the clock as I was returning home, I put my foot hard down leaving a 40 mph average speed camera bit of motorway and found kick-down for the first time. Very impressed! The cars that had been alongside me were just dots in the mirror. They probably thought I was an idiot but never mind.

Last Monday I went up the A682/A65/B6479 from Nelson to Horton in Ribblesdale (for a walk in the Dales) and got a chance to properly use the paddles for manual changes. I love the way that in manual you can get the power down out of a corner properly and feel the rear wheels working. The handling and body control (M Sport Adaptive in Sport) on the twisty undulating roads was very good, although I had to take it quite steady as I had my dog on the (covered) back seat and could hear her sliding from side to side if I went a bit too fast!

Actually, I got a bit of a shock on the silly 50 mph limit section north of Gisburn when, doing a bit more than 50, I looked in the mirror and saw a police BMW right behind me. I thought he might want to have a word with me but he just followed me (now doing no more than 50 of course). Interestingly, I opened up quite a gap on some of the tighter bends - even though I thought I was taking it easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

I must admit I was a little disappointed that nothing happened. Not sure what I expected, maybe just a little motif on the dashboard, a little icon to say "well done, she's all yours, enjoy", but no. She just kept on rolling like nothing had happened.

Still it's nice to be able to open the taps

Nice too that the rozzers took a pragmatic view of your driving
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Forgot to attach a little memento.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Wdaauto
Private
Rep
Drives: 330D touring

I am about to take receipt within the next couple if weeks. I am 50/50 on either ragging the potatoes out of her from day one, or 'run in' steady. (330d)��
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
RichardJS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
I must admit I was a little disappointed that nothing happened. Not sure what I expected, maybe just a little motif on the dashboard, a little icon to say "well done, she's all yours, enjoy", but no. She just kept on rolling like nothing had happened.
Yes - that would be great wouldn't it - perhaps a little firework display shown on the screen?

In your picture am I right in thinking your range is just 4 miles?!?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
RichardJS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdaauto View Post
I am about to take receipt within the next couple if weeks. I am 50/50 on either ragging the potatoes out of her from day one, or 'run in' steady. (330d)��
This has been debated a lot on here already. I take the view of better safe than sorry as you don't get a second chance. And anyway there's a sort of masochistic pleasure in the anticipation.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Mine has done 2300 now and i'm sure it has loosened up since 1200, it definitely feels faster than it did then!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
alex_chung
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive M Sport (Plus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJS View Post
Yes - that would be great wouldn't it - perhaps a little firework display shown on the screen?

In your picture am I right in thinking your range is just 4 miles?!?
Its what shown when you are running on eco mode and start 'gaining' miles by driving economically.
Alex
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
RichardJS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_chung View Post
Its what shown when you are running on eco mode and start 'gaining' miles by driving economically.
Alex
Oh that explains it then - I only tried eco mode for about a mile and haven't bothered again!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #10
Deimos
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJS View Post
Oh that explains it then - I only tried eco mode for about a mile and haven't bothered again!

hahaha
Appreciate 0