E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Can I use an "I" tophat / strut mount instead of "xi"?

04-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
instigat0r
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

Can I use an "I" tophat / strut mount instead of "xi"?

I just replaced my stock front struts with Bilstein HD's and noticed during the install that one of my tophats/strut mounts needed replaced too (there was a fair amount of play in the bearing). I completed the install of the HD's but now I need to buy new tophats. Is there any reason why I can't use a rwd ("I") tophat instead of the "xi" tophat? The rwd ("I") tophat is a lot cheaper ($35 instead of $75).

I know that some people have used front lowering perches along with "I" tophats but can this be done to my "xi" without the lowering perches?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I have the I tophats on my car. Yes I used them for the lowering perches, but they would work with the factory perches. The xi tophats are just slightly wider than the i tophats, that is why they don't work with lowering perches. They still perform the same and will work fine for you.
Appreciate 0