F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW AUC - My rights???
proTUNING Freaks

04-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d F36 GC

Hi all,

Purchased an AUC BMW about a month ago. Pre-purchase the salesman and I went around the car where I mentioned scratches all around the car. Was assured that it would all be sorted.

Picked up the car after their prepping and all seemed fine.

Notice a couple of things that needed repairing (rusting car seat, water in tail light) so took car in for it to be done.

Went to pick up my car yesterday and not only did they scratch the front bumper , all the scratches which were supposed to have been repaired reappeared after a clean!

So effectively it feels like they have tried to fob me off by doing a half-assed job. Not impressed!!!

Refused to take the car now until the new scratch has been investigated (they allegedly take a video of the car when it comes in) and salesman that sold me the car calls me next week about the scratches identified pre-sale.

Not happy!!

Anyone know what my rights are since I signed off the work initially but that was obviously down to them doing what was effectively a temporary repair?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

What did he say about the scratches?

What did he assure you?

If you bought it as seen and you both new about scratches, unless he said would have smart repair etc carried out then no grounds.

In the past when buying car have taken photo or scratched where mark that need touched up is and not collected car until done.

Or if minor have haggled for better price.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
What did he say about the scratches?

What did he assure you?

If you bought it as seen and you both new about scratches, unless he said would have smart repair etc carried out then no grounds.

In the past when buying car have taken photo or scratched where mark that need touched up is and not collected car until done.

Or if minor have haggled for better price.
Salesman assured me it was all going to be sorted - repaired and dent removed (one of the scratches was also part of the dent).

The problem is the car looked fine when I picked it up, but seems like all they did was polish it and now it's all washed off!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theone88 View Post
Salesman assured me it was all going to be sorted - repaired and dent removed (one of the scratches was also part of the dent).

The problem is the car looked fine when I picked it up, but seems like all they did was polish it and now it's all washed off!
Take it back and complain, your are on dodgy ground, however being AUC, they should act in good faith and repair specific scratches not just disguise, same with dents.

This is why I take photos and advise others to as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
mikewhitef30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: white m sport

I had problems with an approved used e90. Complain direct to bmw , that gets the bu*gers moving!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Write to the general manager of the dealer, explaining everything, how dissatisfied your, how it's soured your purchase and experience of BMW, and state that you await his reply, before taking it further. If they don't play ball, write to BMW UK. Remember to push for a goodwill gesture (i.e. Free service, etc.) on top of sorting out the issues, for your inconvenience.

When I had a Mercedes CLK years ago, got rust repaired on the rear wheel arch under warranty. Picked the car up in Perth, drove back along the dual carriageway to Dundee at 80mph, then next day experienced vibration through the steering wheel when braking. Only time I'd experienced that before, was when I'd had a tyre replaced (at a well known fitting company) on a previous car, the wheel nuts hadn't been tightened properly. If I hadn't noticed in time, the wheel would've came off!! Anyway, as I'd experienced that previously, stopped the car immediately to check it, and discovered both rear AMG alloy wheels were secured with 2 out of the 5 wheel nuts (the other three were wrapped in an oily rag in the boot!). Had my wife and kids in the car at the time, so was shaken up and angry, remembering that I'd been driving at 80mph for 26 miles the previous day, with the wheels secured like that!!
Anyway, wrote a very angry letter to them, explaining that if I wasn't happy with their response, would be taking it further. Got sent a grovelling letter saying they were investigating. Then got a telephone call (and subsequently a letter) explaining what happened. Turned out, another car was waiting to get in the paint booth, so they fitted the wheels temporarily to move my car, with the intention to fully secure asap. Several employees (apparently, if you believed their reply) got written warnings for this failing to be picked up, before the car was eventually handed back to me. As a gesture of goodwill I got my upcoming (inspection 2) service free of charge. Thinking back, should have probably rejected that as being insufficient, but the inspection 2 service would've been fairly costly.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

that sounds familiar to me...
i bet it was coloured wax in the stone chips and scratches,
washes out after a few go's.

same with my BMW AUC there wasn't a mark on it when i bought it.
i drove it home and after snow foam, 2 bucket wash, APC, and clay ready for polish and wax.
about 15 stone chips and a deep scratch on the boot lid suddenly appear....

done a chip and scratch repair myself from paints 4 U,
then sanded and rotary mopped. can't see them now...
mind you i now have about 5 or 6 new ones, as that was done 12 months ago...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethefish
that sounds familiar to me...
i bet it was coloured wax in the stone chips and scratches,
washes out after a few go's.

same with my BMW AUC there wasn't a mark on it when i bought it.
i drove it home and after snow foam, 2 bucket wash, APC, and clay ready for polish and wax.
about 15 stone chips and a deep scratch on the boot lid suddenly appear....

done a chip and scratch repair myself from paints 4 U,
then sanded and rotary mopped. can't see them now...
mind you i now have about 5 or 6 new ones, as that was done 12 months ago...
Davethefish did u complain and did it get you anywhere?

I think what makes it worse for me is that it feels like they've tried to pull a fast one!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cey
Write to the general manager of the dealer, explaining everything, how dissatisfied your, how it's soured your purchase and experience of BMW, and state that you await his reply, before taking it further. If they don't play ball, write to BMW UK. Remember to push for a goodwill gesture (i.e. Free service, etc.) on top of sorting out the issues, for your inconvenience.

When I had a Mercedes CLK years ago, got rust repaired on the rear wheel arch under warranty. Picked the car up in Perth, drove back along the dual carriageway to Dundee at 80mph, then next day experienced vibration through the steering wheel when braking. Only time I'd experienced that before, was when I'd had a tyre replaced (at a well known fitting company) on a previous car, the wheel nuts hadn't been tightened properly. If I hadn't noticed in time, the wheel would've came off!! Anyway, as I'd experienced that previously, stopped the car immediately to check it, and discovered both rear AMG alloy wheels were secured with 2 out of the 5 wheel nuts (the other three were wrapped in an oily rag in the boot!). Had my wife and kids in the car at the time, so was shaken up and angry, remembering that I'd been driving at 80mph for 26 miles the previous day, with the wheels secured like that!!
Anyway, wrote a very angry letter to them, explaining that if I wasn't happy with their response, would be taking it further. Got sent a grovelling letter saying they were investigating. Then got a telephone call (and subsequently a letter) explaining what happened. Turned out, another car was waiting to get in the paint booth, so they fitted the wheels temporarily to move my car, with the intention to fully secure asap. Several employees (apparently, if you believed their reply) got written warnings for this failing to be picked up, before the car was eventually handed back to me. As a gesture of goodwill I got my upcoming (inspection 2) service free of charge. Thinking back, should have probably rejected that as being insufficient, but the inspection 2 service would've been fairly costly.
That sounds awful r1cey!! I would've been fuming!

Already have 3 yrs free servicing as that's what came with the car, let's see what they say next week when the sales guy calls me back and will go from there.

I've been (surprisingly!!) very calm and reasonable about it thus far!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

If you buy a Ford Direct which I think is their approved scheme you can exchange the car within 30 days or 1000 miles is there a similar policy on BMW used cars?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
If you buy a Ford Direct which I think is their approved scheme you can exchange the car within 30 days or 1000 miles is there a similar policy on BMW used cars?
yes,
but only if they accept there is a fault,
it's their fault,
and they have failed to fix it after about 3 goes first iirc.....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theone88 View Post
Davethefish did u complain and did it get you anywhere?

I think what makes it worse for me is that it feels like they've tried to pull a fast one!
that was my second car a 320i,
i was relived just to have a car that worked and didn't have an engine that sounded like a bag of spanners rattling in a tin box.

i had a 320d as my first car, looked amazing and drove like a dream....
until the engine got warm and then the clutch would hammer and judder,
and you could hear and feel the engine vibrating through the pedals and steering wheel.
their 'tech' said it was an engine characteristic. though the loner F30 diesel and about 4 other 320d's i test drove were perfect.

they eventually swapped out the 320d for a 320i that they had in stock.
Appreciate 0