E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW 325 d remap

11-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

BMW 325 d remap

SORRY to be a plank .now just say i went into my local bmw dealer and ordered a new ecu ?for a 330d could i take this home and swap it for my 325 ecu and transform my car to a similar state of tune as factory 330d ? and am i correct in thinking this would also set the box to match bmw spec as in shift patters etc

I have a e90 auto 2008 spec ,i think im correct in saying 325/330 d same engine turbo etc and almost sure the auto box is the same because if this is the case i am up for this mod thanks for any help/advise
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

No it doesn't work like that unfortunately. The ECU will have to be recoded to the car, the car recoded to the ECU, and then it will also depend on what options you have on your car as well which will determine the connections to the ECU. And the other thing, BMW won't sell you a replacement ECU as it's technically only available as a service-replacement part. If they did sell it to you, it'd be MEGA bucks...!!

If you want to get more power, just remap your standard ECU. The gearbox shift patterns you will fine, as all a good remap should do is increase your torque and hp curves, but keeping the same response pattern. I spoke to Birds and he agrees that the remap of the 325d is one of the best in terms of value for money, as the improvement per pound is astonishing...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Thanks e92

So i belive i am correct in saying my car in stock condition 325d auto is 197 bhp and 400 nm torque my 3.0d x5 was 218bhp and 500nm torque this felt very different and sounded like it was whistling under load ie foot down.

Can you advise me what would be the best map to go for or should i just take kevin birds advise ?? I only drive 3k miles a year so i dont think i want a new Lsd or anything of that sort of performance issues .
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Scooba as you are in Sussex,I would recommend DMS (Based in Totton, Southampton, which is actually in Hants)
or E-maps.

I'm sure either would answer all your questions and give good advice

speak to Mike Cooper: DMS:http://www.dmsautomotive.com/

Or Simon: http://www.e-maps.co.uk/

Or if you are minted stick with Bird's
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

If you are going e-maps ,I have a customer who wants a re-map done soon, so maybe you could both get them done together to save some dollar!!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
So i belive i am correct in saying my car in stock condition 325d auto is 197 bhp and 400 nm torque my 3.0d x5 was 218bhp and 500nm torque this felt very different and sounded like it was whistling under load ie foot down.

Can you advise me what would be the best map to go for or should i just take kevin birds advise ?? I only drive 3k miles a year so i dont think i want a new Lsd or anything of that sort of performance issues .

Right here are the different engine details:

1) your 3.0d X5 had the M57N/TUD30 engine in it, which developed 160kW/215hp with 500nm/369lbft torque

2) the current 325d/330d engine is the M57N2/TU2D30 designation, which is the same capacity as your previous X5 engine, but with better breathing and other tweaks. This M57N2 engine is available in two states of tune, depending on whether you have the 325d or 330d.

In 325d spec, it produces the following - 145kW/197hp with 400NM/295lbft torque.

In 330d spec, which is created by using a different ECU program, it produces the following - 170kW/228hp with a nominal 500NM/384lbft torque

The engine installation in the E90 is more refined than the previous installation of the M57N in the E53 X5. You will notice a more linear response too throughout the rev range, and you won't notice that whistling noise anywhere near as much.

I don't know what the best map to go for would be, with regards to the 325d. Certainly there are sizeable gains to be had, and in terms of value for money as I said it is fantastic being able to remap the 325d engine. I am sure that the likes of CA or E-Maps will have good solutions for the car. Kevin Bird at Hartge also has a good solution, and if it were me I would head his way to look at one of his remaps. I say this because I've seen the way he works first hand, I now know his staff and am very pleased with the level of service and quality of work that they have provided. Also, in driving the Hartge 335i demo car, I was blown away by how 'normal' everything felt, despite it being considerably faster and better handling. The Hartge gear does feel exceptionally well engineered, and feels as though it is an integral part of the car rather than being an add-on (in this instance, I'm talking about the hardware, not the aesthetics!). However, you do pay more for the Hartge gear, although in my view I wouldn't mind spending the extra for the knowledge that my car really is in safe hands.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0