F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Wheel arch gap different on either side?
GetBMWParts

04-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Wheel arch gap different on either side?

I've noticed the drivers side looks like it has a smaller gap between the tyre and the arch, I've even put my fingers in there and it feels like there is more room on the passenger side (left) but when I measure the arch to the ground its the same both sides, I looked at an E90 that was parked near mine and it looks the same with a bigger gap on the left, I asked two other people and we all agree it looks bigger on the left and we all measured it, now if the wheel is the same size and the arch is the same height how is it possible one side looks and feel bigger? Or have I lost the plot?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Is this on completely flat and level ground?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Yes, I checked it on different places, but my garage is level
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Is this on completely flat and level ground?
My first thought. Turn the car around and see if the gap difference changes sides
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077
Yes, I checked it on different places, but my garage is level
Can you measure the gap properly using a ruler or something straight to lay on top of the tyre then measure to top of arch?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

I'm sure I could, I'll try at some point, and I've tried turning the car around, looks the same, the car is dead level, but the gap looks bigger
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
I've noticed the drivers side looks like it has a smaller gap between the tyre and the arch, I've even put my fingers in there and it feels like there is more room on the passenger side (left) but when I measure the arch to the ground its the same both sides, I looked at an E90 that was parked near mine and it looks the same with a bigger gap on the left, I asked two other people and we all agree it looks bigger on the left and we all measured it, now if the wheel is the same size and the arch is the same height how is it possible one side looks and feel bigger? Or have I lost the plot?
I remember this very thing with an E36 328i Lux coupe I had years ago and took it up with the dealer and the answer I got was they were all the same, slightly larger gap on passenger side compared to drivers side, apparently they were set that way from build as it compensates for the weight of an average driver on board on his own! Thought that was bullshit at the time but now you've got me wondering!
I'll try and check my 435i M Sport and see if mine's the same!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I remember this very thing with an E36 328i Lux coupe I had years ago and took it up with the dealer and the answer I got was they were all the same, slightly larger gap on passenger side compared to drivers side, apparently they were set that way from build as it compensates for the weight of an average driver on board on his own! Thought that was bullshit at the time but now you've got me wondering!
I'll try and check my 435i M Sport and see if mine's the same!
Then surely the gap would be larger on the drivers side!?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Then surely the gap would be larger on the drivers side!?
The other bit of suspected bullshit from the dealer was that they were only set up like that for the LHD market regardless of which market they were built for!......can you believe that crap?

Nah!.....Me neither!

......still OP's got me wondering now though!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

My nephew is a mechanic and he mentioned Mercedes seem to be higher on the drivers side, but as I said the arch is the same height from the ground both sides, I just measured the wheel height and they look the same as you would expect, so maybe its a trick of the eye
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I may be way off but there is a thing called "setback" in wheel alignment which is where a wheel on one side is marginally in front of the other side. I don't know the f30 settings but this may explain the "optical illusion"
Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
I may be way off but there is a thing called "setback" in wheel alignment which is where a wheel on one side is marginally in front of the other side. I don't know the f30 settings but this may explain the "optical illusion"
Just a thought.
Setback is if the car has been is a collision though isn't it? Not because the car was built like it!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #13
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

It is designed in on some I think, and a certain amount is accepted as "within tolerance".
I'm not saying it is setback, just throwing an idea out there. It may explain why some dealers can't seem to align the car with the steering wheel straight too?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Stupid thought but could one tyre be softer than the other allowing a little less height in the tyre wall?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Like I said I looked at an e90 335i parked near me and even that looked lower on the right, all I know is every time I see a BMW now I'll be looking at the ride height each side lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My nephew is a mechanic and he mentioned Mercedes seem to be higher on the drivers side, but as I said the arch is the same height from the ground both sides, I just measured the wheel height and they look the same as you would expect, so maybe its a trick of the eye
Still trying to find some perfectly level ground to check mine for your info....nowt's bloody level here in the North East!
Taking the missus' 120i to our dealer tomorrow to have the winter bouncy balloons swapped for the M 313's for 'summer'( ha! lol...this is the North East!) so I'll ask the techs about this out of curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Are you parked on a kerb....?

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
      04-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apl335d View Post
Are you parked on a kerb....?

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Would suggest running shoes as well!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #19
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Spoke to the techs a my dealership this afternoon and whilst they haven't noticed this as we have, their opinion is that it is probably due to the location of the fuel tank the shape of which is such that a greater volume of fuel is carried more to the offside of the vehicle than to the nearside. Thus slightly more weight is placed on the driver's side suspension which may result in lowering it more compared to the passenger side. Also the fuel draw off is from the offside and the tank is designed such that the fuel is siphoned from the nearside to the offside so will drain away from nearside to offside as it's used up, meaning there will always be more weight of fuel on the offside of the vehicle.
Does that make an sense to you the way I've tried to describe it? Thinking about it, it would seem to be a reasonable explanation to me!
Meaning the answer I was given all those years ago about my E36 was, as I suspected at the time, probably bullshit!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Spoke to the techs a my dealership this afternoon and whilst they haven't noticed this as we have, their opinion is that it is probably due to the location of the fuel tank the shape of which is such that a greater volume of fuel is carried more to the offside of the vehicle than to the nearside. Thus slightly more weight is placed on the driver's side suspension which may result in lowering it more compared to the passenger side. Also the fuel draw off is from the offside and the tank is designed such that the fuel is siphoned from the nearside to the offside so will drain away from nearside to offside as it's used up, meaning there will always be more weight of fuel on the offside of the vehicle.
Does that make an sense to you the way I've tried to describe it? Thinking about it, it would seem to be a reasonable explanation to me!
Meaning the answer I was given all those years ago about my E36 was, as I suspected at the time, probably bullshit!!!
This does sound feasible! And if so was probably designed so with the driver sitting in a LHD the car will sit level!? Meaning our RHD cars will be double lop sided when driven!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #21
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

Quote:
This does sound feasible! And if so was probably designed so with the driver sitting in a LHD the car will sit level!? Meaning our RHD cars will be double lop sided when driven!
But with the general road camber leaning toward the nearside it will balance it up a touch