F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335D Boring?
Studio RSR

04-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Redben
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport X drive (gone)

335D Boring?

Enjoyed the power for about a month. Now done 7000 miles and am starting to find it a bit boring. Although its mega secure and grips well it doesn't handle well enough and I yearn more a bit more interaction with a manual box.

Wishing I had bought the petrol, bring on decent M3 deals please BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

What bit do you boring?

Is all your driving in East Anglia?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redben View Post
Enjoyed the power for about a month. Now done 7000 miles and am starting to find it a bit boring. Although its mega secure and grips well it doesn't handle well enough and I yearn more a bit more interaction with a manual box.

It is crazy how us humans can get complacent and bored of things!

Do you realise your 335d is faster than a Ferrari Testarossa, considered the ultimate rich mans toy just 30 years ago!?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I completely understand what you're saying, the performance is so subtle it's easy to use and get used to. This is both it's best and worst trait. Get a bare bones racer to remind you how nice and easy the bmw is
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

Do you realise your 335d is faster than a Ferrari Testarossa, considered the ultimate rich mans toy just 30 years ago!?
Also 7000 miles in Norfolk.....

Long sweeping roads, deep valleys, tight bends over high hills.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:

Completely with you there. It's a great car but not what I wanted - shame as the drivetrain's a belter. Just such a crying shame the handling is pants. That's what you get for taking the chance and buying one of the first - ah well.

Problem is the jump up to next level (M3/M4) ain't going to be cheap until they start doing deals next year.

Just waiting for the final quotes to swap over to come back. 3/435i is a lovely car - can't help but think if I did buy one there would always be a 'what if' scenario with the M's. Big question still remains on how much discount I'm going to get.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:

A 747 is faster than a Testarossa but riding in one is normally less than thrilling.

It's not absolute speed and performance that thrills (usually) as we humans are terrible at feeling constant speed, especially if we are isolated from it. What thrills is the sensation changes in speed and G.

Again a big competent diesel cosseted in sound lagging maybe fast and efficient but is less than thrilling (hence Active Sound).

Get a stripped out (original) mini or similar with a screaming small bore petrol engine and hoon at around at legal speeds....all the thrills you could ever need.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
A 747 is faster than a Testarossa but riding in one is normally less than thrilling.

It's not absolute speed and performance that thrills (usually) as we humans are terrible at feeling constant speed, especially if we are isolated from it. What thrills is the sensation changes in speed and G.

Get a stripped out (original) mini or similar with a screaming small bore petrol engine and hoon at around at legal speeds....all the thrills you could ever need.
When i said faster i meant acceleration!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
When i said faster i meant acceleration!
Ah well fast and acceleration are not the same are they?

When all you can do is get to legal speeds in around 5 seconds with no drama then very soon there is no thrill either.

The 335D is a very efficient motorway cruiser. It's not really a thrill machine....that's why I love my petrols, they may be thirstier but their is still some "passion" in a screaming petrol.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ah well fast and acceleration are not the same are they?

When all you can do is get to legal speeds in around 5 seconds with no drama then very soon there is no thrill either.
It is the same when you're talking about fast acceleration!

Anyway all performance cars have the same top speed these days as they're limited to 155mph!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
douglasgdmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster Spyder

Maybe need a handling kit to get some of the joy back? Did you get the adaptive suspension or just standard?

Also have you thought about adjusting the geometry to sharpen it up a bit?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Again a big competent diesel cosseted in sound lagging maybe fast and efficient but is less than thrilling (hence Active Sound).

It is strange driving at 140+ on a straight road and other cars are doing about the same! it gets very bland.

However shove some power off / power on G inducing bends an fit livens up even doing just 50mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
It is strange driving at 140+ on a straight road and other cars are doing about the same! it gets very bland.

However shove some power off / power on G inducing bends an fit livens up even doing just 50mph.

Go have a blast on 200cc go karts...50ish mph top end, snail like acceleration compared to a 335D yet blatting round a track some proper thrills
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
Redben
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgdmw View Post
Maybe need a handling kit to get some of the joy back? Did you get the adaptive suspension or just standard?

Also have you thought about adjusting the geometry to sharpen it up a bit?
Have the adaptive but just find it nose heavy and ponderous compared to even the 320i sport I had for a few days.

Its a great car but I just feel like its driving me rather than the other way round.

Contrary to popular belief there are some good roads in norfolk and I'm fortunate my route to work is a good mix of fast B road and light trafficked A road.

Perhaps I should go with my instinct and chop in the wifes mini, give her my car and get a three year old M3!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
badders74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d X Drive

I guess boredom can happen with any vehicle. 335d, M3 or whatever. It comes down to how much you drive it quickly and how you can also get used to the power too. Why do you think people buy power upgrades or faster vehicles?? Its equally true that different cars put the power down in such a way it may not be inspiring. I remember many years ago thinking the Citroen Saxo VTS being stupidly quick and felt quicker with the car being so small and less refined.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

You need a petrol man, and quick!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Go have a blast on 200cc go karts...50ish mph top end, snail like acceleration compared to a 335D yet blatting round a track some proper thrills
One of the places I lived we had our own kart track on camp, excellent way to spend a Thursday afternoon, couple hours blasting round track, then off to bar for refreshments - bliss.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by badders74
I guess boredom can happen with any vehicle. 335d, M3 or whatever. It comes down to how much you drive it quickly and how you can also get used to the power too. Why do you think people buy power upgrades or faster vehicles?? Its equally true that different cars put the power down in such a way it may not be inspiring. I remember many years ago thinking the Citroen Saxo VTS being stupidly quick and felt quicker with the car being so small and less refined.
I agree with this, I start getting bored after about 18 months usually, then come 3 yrs I've had enough and am due a change. It's worrying though as in the end where do you go with that? Weekend car is what I expect, not quite there yet though.
      04-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
badders74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquein View Post
I agree with this, I start getting bored after about 18 months usually, then come 3 yrs I've had enough and am due a change. It's worrying though as in the end where do you go with that? Weekend car is what I expect, not quite there yet though.
I found having a weekend car and a 1.0 litre rounaround the best formula.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #20
Redben
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
You need a petrol man, and quick!
I'll whisper it but I think I made a boo boo not getting the 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
I'll whisper it but I think I made a boo boo not getting the 335i
I normally get bored of cars very quickly, but get the sunroof open and blat my 335i down some lanes in manual mode and the grin is very wide.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
dannywooly77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive

Not thrilled to hear this picking mine up next weekend hope going from Qashqai I'll find it slightly more exciting!
Appreciate 0