E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How long was it before you curbed your New Wheels!!!

03-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

How long was it before you curbed your New Wheels!!!

I'm curious! Is it just me or does everyone curb their wheels, the more I tried not to the more it happens With my old rubbish wheels not a single scratch (they were 17s) Bought some new 19s, wide rears and I've curbed them
Who else has been through such emotional times...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Lci

Not curbed on in quite a few years
Park in the middle of the road, that tends to help
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

I had a mk4 gold slammed on the deck, got some porsche wheels had them refurbed looked lovely, on the same day i fitted them went to get petrol and got tugged by the old bill for too much poke, tyres were under rim was miles out, half hour later parked at a mates and done nearly the hole rim front and back on the near side i was in bits
      03-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Thedirtymex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i cabrio M sport

I had a Chrysler Crossfire. Spent $6300 fitting offset Stance CS5 wheels wrapped in Pirelli p zero. On day 2 moving the car out of the driveway for my mum and bam. Huge chunk taken from the front left. Couldn't believe it. Almost cried
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

I'd never kerbed a single wheel ever until I bought the 335i. The guy I bought it from seemed to have a magnetic attraction to kerbs though, so I had the MV4s powder coated in Shadow Chrome.

2 days later the missus asked me to do her a favour and rush up to her sisters to look after her kids and somehow I managed to scrape the nearside rear down a kerb. No worries I thought..bit of a pain but I'll just get that one refurbed again.

Then a few weeks later I had a slight mishap on the motorway and glanced off a crash barrier, taking the powder coat off the two offside wheels. They were refurbed again by the bodyshop, leaving me with just the nearside rear to sort.

Then yesterday I was cleaning the car and noticed that both of the wheels that the bodyshop refurbed have dirty great stone chips in them

Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get all 4 done again lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

i think mine was about 4 months after i fitted the Hartge's - the morning of a car show!
wasn't technically my fault though...more of the pot holes fault and the bus driving driving straight at me!
      03-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
330ray
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Had mine a week so far no scuffs yet. But im touching plenty of wood after this post!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsport View Post
Not curbed on in quite a few years
Park in the middle of the road, that tends to help
LOL doesn't go down so well when you do that around London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I had a mk4 gold slammed on the deck, got some porsche wheels had them refurbed looked lovely, on the same day i fitted them went to get petrol and got tugged by the old bill for too much poke, tyres were under rim was miles out, half hour later parked at a mates and done nearly the hole rim front and back on the near side i was in bits
Yeah the po po stopped me the day I got mine, BS it was a random check! I feel ya, that alloy scratching noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedirtymex View Post
I had a Chrysler Crossfire. Spent $6300 fitting offset Stance CS5 wheels wrapped in Pirelli p zero. On day 2 moving the car out of the driveway for my mum and bam. Huge chunk taken from the front left. Couldn't believe it. Almost cried
It's always when you are doing something for someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
I'd never kerbed a single wheel ever until I bought the 335i. The guy I bought it from seemed to have a magnetic attraction to kerbs though, so I had the MV4s powder coated in Shadow Chrome.

2 days later the missus asked me to do her a favour and rush up to her sisters to look after her kids and somehow I managed to scrape the nearside rear down a kerb. No worries I thought..bit of a pain but I'll just get that one refurbed again.

Then a few weeks later I had a slight mishap on the motorway and glanced off a crash barrier, taking the powder coat off the two offside wheels. They were refurbed again by the bodyshop, leaving me with just the nearside rear to sort.

Then yesterday I was cleaning the car and noticed that both of the wheels that the bodyshop refurbed have dirty great stone chips in them

Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get all 4 done again lol
Wow, perfection costs! I've had mine a week and all apart from the front drivers side are curbed, Seems impossible to avoid, I'll give it some time before I go do a refurb, get all the curbing out my system lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
i think mine was about 4 months after i fitted the Hartge's - the morning of a car show!
wasn't technically my fault though...more of the pot holes fault and the bus driving driving straight at me!
Oh damn before a show! It's always the pot holes fault or the random curb that appears out of nowhere lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

First time my wife drove my car, kurbed the brand new alloys... then it was 3 kerbs from four drives.. needless to say she no longer drives my car
      03-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
I curbed my wheels the day before I planned to switch to my oem with winter tires on them. Sucked!

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Haven't kerbed my rims in nearly a year... TOUCH WOOD
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

Had a set of new reps fitted at motor sport wheels in stockport. I left the fitting centre which was on an industrial park and came to a road narrowing set up to stop lorries from using the route through a residential area. I dropped the drivers side window right down and gave my full attention to just clearing by a couple of inches the solid stone bollard on my side. I got halfway through when I heard and felt this horrible grating sound. Now I have this dilemma, do I carry on going forward or back out. The bollards were stopping me getting out of the car to find out what the problem was. I inched forwards very slowly and the noise stopped, thank god I thought, and then the grating noise began again as I carried on through. I was bricking it when I got out of the car, wondering what damage had occurred. Yeah, your right, both wheels on the passenger side were write offs. The road had sunk on that side leaving a 5in. crater which had filled with water.
I now claim the all time record for wrecking two wheels after only driving 50 yards from new lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
john-vfr
spender of the kids inheritance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW xdrive touring

took me 6 days to kerb my AC Snits on my E46.Wife got out to look.....not that bad.About eight inches long on nearside front bad. Women!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
regy53
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d

I have never curbed wheels in my life until I got my BMW with MV4's

My front passenger I noticed has about 4 kerb marks in it and I only know of one that I did
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

never ! lol

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
Kassim786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d (E93) M-sport

I did one in my VXR (19" snowflake alloys" .... There was a damn police car behind me forcing me onto a huge kerb to get by ... Ended up scraping the bumper and the wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 Carbon

Never kerbed the rims in my compact, 20 hours after picking up this car from bmw kerbed the back one coming out from my parking space. Salesman warned me dont park how i normally park, since then kerbed 2 more. Im used to it now i dont get that sinking feeling. And they gave me new wheels and tyres with the car
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #18
SM8
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've always wondered this so maybe some of you guys can enlighten me. But let's say you have really expensive custom forged rims or just really expensive rims in general that are like hand brushed or polished etc
If you were to curb them what the hell do you do? Aside from the obvious refurb, could you ever get the same original finish back and if so how? Because a new wheel could cost a huge amount so there must be a way with so many people buying expensive rims over the world etc or not lol?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
simmo1985
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Took 6 months after a refurb to do mine, then 1 month after fixing that mishap i did it again. Gutted is an understatement.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #20
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

I never leave mine parked on the road, so doesnt see a kerb, so, it doesnt have marks and i cant remember the last time i ever have kerbed a rim..
      04-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #21
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Bought my car on Sep 7 2013, had a food coma on Thanksgiving, thought I had enough space to clear the curb making a U-turn leaving my friend's house... But didn't. 1/2" scrape on my FR wheel, dislodged a few clips on the side panel and slamming the car down.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #22
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassim786 View Post
I did one in my VXR (19" snowflake alloys" .... There was a damn police car behind me forcing me onto a huge kerb to get by ... Ended up scraping the bumper and the wheel
Same thing happened to me, vowed never ever to do it again for an emergency vehicle.
I'll stop to let them by but if they hit me they'll suffer the consequences of a hit and run.

Very uncharitable I know, but the last incident cost me £350 to repair.. good deed, indeed....
Appreciate 0