E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 Rear Squeal

03-26-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

E90 Rear Squeal

I have the infamous squeal coming from the rear passenger side at low speeds.

I have tried:
cleaning out the brake dust
applying anti squeal on pads
sand down shoes and inner rotors

But the noise comes back after a day. Upon another (closer) inspection, there were some marks on the inner side of the rotor where the shoes may be rubbing. This was sanded / rubbed down but made no difference.

My mechanic tells me the discs and shoes fitted by the previous owner were not genuine and should be changed... Not sure if this will make a difference / resolve the issue, but dont fancy forking out 250.00 for discs and shoes unless theres no other option.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativ101
I have the infamous squeal coming from the rear passenger side at low speeds.

I have tried:
cleaning out the brake dust
applying anti squeal on pads
sand down shoes and inner rotors

But the noise comes back after a day. Upon another (closer) inspection, there were some marks on the inner side of the rotor where the shoes may be rubbing. This was sanded / rubbed down but made no difference.

My mechanic tells me the discs and shoes fitted by the previous owner were not genuine and should be changed... Not sure if this will make a difference / resolve the issue, but dont fancy forking out 250.00 for discs and shoes unless theres no other option.

Any suggestions?
I had the same issue. Shouldn't cost you $250 and you can do it yourself. Don't get new rotors unless you need to. Take them and have them turned shouldn't be more than $30 for the pair. Pads depending on what you get shouldn't be more than $70. I paid 45 for mine. Put anti squeal on the back of pads and you should be good. So unless your rotors are tore up you shouldn't have to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeuwunder View Post
I had the same issue. Shouldn't cost you $250 and you can do it yourself. Don't get new rotors unless you need to. Take them and have them turned shouldn't be more than $30 for the pair. Pads depending on what you get shouldn't be more than $70. I paid 45 for mine. Put anti squeal on the back of pads and you should be good. So unless your rotors are tore up you shouldn't have to replace them.
Thanks...
250gbp is just for the parts..!!! ;(

There were some marks on the inside of the rotors (seem to be from the shoes). These were sanded down and applied anti squeal paste on the paste. but has not made a difference.
The pads were replaced recently with genuine BMW pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

Oh dang I was thinking you was in the U.S. Sorry about that. That is some crazy pricing. If you have grooves I would still see if the rotors can be turned if you have that available there. If your pads are pretty new I would just sand them again after the rotors are turned smooth. That's about all I can think of to try and save some money. Y'all got some expensive parts there.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh dang I was thinking you was in the U.S. Sorry about that. That is some crazy pricing. If you have grooves I would still see if the rotors can be turned if you have that available there. If your pads are pretty new I would just sand them again after the rotors are turned smooth. That's about all I can think of to try and save some money. Y'all got some expensive parts there.
Yep - pricing is near double of what you guys pay across the waters....

The marks were not heavy... Just need to find someone nearby who can turn the rotors smooth.

Or find non genuine discs and shoes... Any recommendations?

Last edited by creativ101; 03-26-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

Just a thought but it could also be the emergency brake shoes rubbing. Did you take the rotor off and check that. I would also clean and lightly Lube all the moving hardware. May have some dust in there causing it to squeal.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just a thought but it could also be the emergency brake shoes rubbing. Did you take the rotor off and check that. I would also clean and lightly Lube all the moving hardware. May have some dust in there causing it to squeal.
sanded the shoes and cleaned them up also... No luck there either.
Appreciate 0