M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

03-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Mid cycle oil change

So I'm about to get the mid cycle oil change done and from what I've read on the forums the F10 M5 takes 9 quarts? Is that exactly 9 quarts or should I get an additional quart?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Found the answer, 8.9 quarts. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Are you doing this yourself? Would you mind posting some pix or a DIY of the process or things to watch out for?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

No I going to have it done at the dealership. Sorry. I'm going to try the Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-40.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx
No I going to have it done at the dealership. Sorry. I'm going to try the Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-40.
The M5's are filled up with BMW/Castrol 5W-30 at the factory. Knowledgeable dealers will put 5W-30 into the car during oil services. There have been multiple instances where dealerships put incorrect weights in the cars. So it's always a good idea to check on what they will use, or to bring your own oil to them.

I would recommend 0W-30, Castrol brand, European formula (often referred to as German Castrol).

German Castrol 0W-30 (code 06244) can be purchased from amazon. After you buy it, just verify it says European Formula on the bottle before you use it.

I am currently using 0W-30 since my break-in service. A few other members on here are using this as well. The car warms up faster, and some say the motor runs quieter at idle.

BMW recommends owners to always use Castrol brand oil. You can put any brand (meeting correct specs such as LL-01) fully synthetic 0-40 in the car, as it's an approved alternate weight for the S63TU engine. However, I would recommend Castrol brand, and would recommend 0W-30 weight.
      03-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Here is what Castrol 0W-30 looks like.
Attached Images

03-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
The M5's are filled up with BMW/Castrol 5W-30 at the factory. Knowledgeable dealers will put 5W-30 into the car during oil services. There have been multiple instances where dealerships put incorrect weights in the cars. So it's always a good idea to check on what they will use, or to bring your own oil to them.

I would recommend 0W-30, Castrol brand, European formula (often referred to as German Castrol).

German Castrol 0W-30 (code 06244) can be purchased from amazon. After you buy it, just verify it says European Formula on the bottle before you use it.

I am currently using 0W-30 since my break-in service. A few other members on here are using this as well. The car warms up faster, and some say the motor runs quieter at idle.

BMW recommends owners to always use Castrol brand oil. You can put any brand (meeting correct specs such as LL-01) fully synthetic 0-40 in the car, as it's an approved alternate weight for the S63TU engine. However, I would recommend Castrol brand, and would recommend 0W-30 weight.
Thanks for your insight avlnch! There is so much debate nowadays in regard to engine oil, so I thought why not try it, its cheap!

So far using Mobil 1 is just an experiment, but I gotta tell ya, I'm loving it!

This is what I have seen so far.

Engine warms up quicker.
I'm getting better MPG.
Turbos running cooler. (I had to do a Google search to make sure the turbos are oil cooled) The fan(s) are quieter after shutdown with multiple pulls over 100mph!

So far the engine seems to be running more efficiently, but I'll see how it holds up in 8000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
However, I would recommend Castrol brand, and would recommend 0W-30 weight.
Why? Because BMW has a marketing agreement with Castrol? This is no different than MB AMG's alliance with Mobil 1, and not the best reason to use as a determinant for oil selection...
Appreciate 0