F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Which are the best countries for driving? / Left Hand for iDrive
ARMA SPEED

03-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
E90F30er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI E90 320i

Question Which are the best countries for driving? / Left Hand for iDrive

In terms of the roads quality, driver courtesy, obeying the Highway Code, is the UK The Highway Code the most detailed?, etc.

Btw, for right hand drive cars you have to use your less dominant left hand to control the iDrive knob - isn't it a bit awkward? Something you have to live with.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90F30er
In terms of the roads quality, driver courtesy, obeying the Highway Code, is the UK The Highway Code the most detailed?, etc.

Btw, for right hand drive cars you have to use your less dominant left hand to control the iDrive knob - isn't it a bit awkward? Something you have to live with.
Hmmm, probably best to have your dominant hand on the steering wheel! Bit worse if you steer into something and have a bad crash, than selecting the wrong song on idrive!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Germany is a nice place to drive, except in tourist areas in the summer, where all bets are off! They take the rules of the road and driving very seriously, and what some would consider just being polite, is the law there. For example, when you come to a merge, their law requires people to 'zipper' (i.e. one from each lane) to merge alternately. I found it a pleasure driving there - more so than in the UK, but I had more experience in Germany than the UK. Many of the small streets in the city do not have traffic controls as in yield, stop, or lights...you must know and abide by the rules of the road or you'll have an accident there. ANd, it all works, because they do. While living in Germany, the only accident I had was when a Frenchman rear ended me when I was stopped (following too close and not paying attention). As it turned out, my (then) 5mph bumpers got a scratch, and his Renault ended up with all lights, bumper, smashed, and the fan into the radiator. So, when the roads are highly populated with tourists, I don't think any country in Europe is fun, but are still safer than most any Middle Eastern country (I lived in both Kuwait and Jordan for awhile, so have at least a little experience with them and their driving techniques)!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

I think the UK highway code is peanuts comparing to other countries in Europe. There are so many rules written in details you have to obey with exact explanation what where and when. Much more road signs, speed limits rather than big SLOW before the bend etc. You can be fined for not indicating manoeuvres or turning or obviously going through junction on the red light which is so common in Scotland. You can be fined for taking a wrong lane ( fex going straight on filter turn left only lane ) or obstructing traffic due to that etc etc. There are plenty of things drivers in the UK do not even consider as wrong are restricted by law in many countries.
On the other hand we were stopped by police car in New Zealand when we were driving about 80-85 km/h with a fully loaded car on a quite busy twisted road and policeman had a word with a driver about going to slow on 100km/h road ( You are doing 80km/h !!! ) and causing obstruction. He instructed us to pull over and let faster drivers pass or we can get a fine the next time , nice

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90F30er View Post

I am left handed so don't count lol.

However, I have found the further east you go, the worse the driving.

Have driven in majority of countries, except china where I am a reluctant passenger.

Every country the further round you get is decidedly worse and more scary.
Appreciate 0