E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Need Advice...

11-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Need Advice...

My neighbours parents are visiting their daughter (my neighbour) and they have left their Audi A8 parked on the driveway. I suspect they are all away visiting my neighbours country retreat for the weekend, but the A8 has its follow me home lights on (the xenons!!!) and they have been on for about 30 mins

I've just had a peek at the A8 and the entire dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree with a big battery graphics symbol showing as well as the yellow engine diagnostics light and a seatbelt fastening light!!!! I don't think there is anything I can do as I don't have contact details for them, but how long do you think before the battery goes completely since the xenons must surely be quite draining?
      11-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Gordon, I'd have a set of weighty jump leads at the ready for when they return!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Its a shame Peter, I can see the back lights getting dimmer, but the xenons are still going strong. I reckon they've been on just over an hour now!
      11-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Its a shame Peter, I can see the back lights getting dimmer, but the xenons are still going strong. I reckon they've been on just over an hour now!
Is there an Audi emergrncy phone line number on the windscreen tax disc holder or on the website.

Might be worth a call to see if there are any help.
      11-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Update - the back lights are sooooo dim they are hardly on. The alarm led on the doors that Audi's have have stopped flashing, the dashboard lighting is off apart from a few warning lights.... but the xenons are still on!!! The lighting switch is set at AUTO but I suspect the follow me home has malfunctioned

Even if they are all just out for dinner and return later, I think the battery must be pretty dead now.
      11-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Is there an Audi emergrncy phone line number on the windscreen tax disc holder or on the website.

Might be worth a call to see if there are any help.
The car seems to have been bought from Audi Edinburgh.
      11-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
You are obviously a good neighbour. If it had been me I would have complained about the lights shining too brightly near my living room and disturbing my TV watching.

Seriously though, don't think there's much you can do. as suggested, jump leads for their return.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Just leave a note i guess... Do you have the leads ?

SJ
      11-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Update - one of the xenons has just went out... it flickered for a bit then went off completely. I really hope the bulb hasn't blown because of this. The dash has all the red and yellow warning lights on (ABS, airbag, traction control, battery, engine diagnostics, seatbelt fastening sign).

I'll leave a note for them and I guess its Audi Emergency Service when they get back. Its a shame - the car is only about 2 years old and pretty high spec... I remember my neighbour telling me about it when her father bought it (A8 3.0tdi quattro).
      11-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
well its good that they was so wrapped up in having a good evening that they forgot to turn em off!

Just do thje neighbourly thing and offer them a jump

CAsrlos
      11-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #11
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Gordon, read all the above. What is the upshot then?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Isn't watching a battery drain akin to watching grass grow or paint dry?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Gordon,

Sounds like there's not a lot you can do, apart from let them know when they get back. However, I'd be extremely happy to have a neighbour as caring and conscientious as you!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Gordon,

Sounds like there's not a lot you can do, apart from let them know when they get back. However, I'd be extremely happy to have a neighbour as caring and conscientious as you!
Bumps i think this all ended sometime yesterday? we just dont know the outcome yet of what ''exactly'' happened
      11-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Ok, I left a note for my neighbour last night, saying that the headlights (xenons) were on for about 3 hours, before the car finally went into darkness about 9pm. My neighbour and her parents returned about midnight and obviously got the note, as Audi Emergency Rescue arrived early this morning and got it going.

However..... this is the scary part! ... was chatting to my neighbour this afternoon and it turns out her dad had an incident earlier in the day with it. I did notice a large chunk out of the rear bumper and a lot of scrape marks. It seems that when they were re-ordering the cars in the driveway, my neighbours dad (who owns the car) approached the car and unlocked it using the comfort access option (not sure what Audi calls it), but the car automatically started and went into reverse (even though the gear lever was in Park) and reversed back itself and hit a wall! The car has apparently had a new ECU but seems it has left its lights on and drained the battery a few times. I found the story about it moving itself pretty shocking, as it actually could have killed someone - surely if the gear lever is in Park the wheels should basically be locked?

Anyway, they did thank me for leaving the note, which was the advice given here, so thanks to everyone for their comments.
      11-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #16
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Ok, I left a note for my neighbour last night, saying that the headlights (xenons) were on for about 3 hours, before the car finally went into darkness about 9pm. My neighbour and her parents returned about midnight and obviously got the note, as Audi Emergency Rescue arrived early this morning and got it going.

However..... this is the scary part! ... was chatting to my neighbour this afternoon and it turns out her dad had an incident earlier in the day with it. I did notice a large chunk out of the rear bumper and a lot of scrape marks. It seems that when they were re-ordering the cars in the driveway, my neighbours dad (who owns the car) approached the car and unlocked it using the comfort access option (not sure what Audi calls it), but the car automatically started and went into reverse (even though the gear lever was in Park) and reversed back itself and hit a wall! The car has apparently had a new ECU but seems it has left its lights on and drained the battery a few times. I found the story about it moving itself pretty shocking, as it actually could have killed someone - surely if the gear lever is in Park the wheels should basically be locked?

Anyway, they did thank me for leaving the note, which was the advice given here, so thanks to everyone for their comments.
Eeek! I had an alfa once that had a mind of its own (often returned to car to find all windows open, usually when pissing it down and once in a very dodgy part of Glasgow!!).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #17
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
holy shit, started the engine and pulled off ?

Not doubting the story, but sounds like a lot of "safety" measures to get through, i.e. In gear, parking brake off, throttle applied etc.

I bet audi would be INCREDIBLY interested to hear of this...

Just image the court case...

Fandango - "no, m'lud, I had applied juditious levels of torque to the emergency parking brake before diactivating the vehicle and returning to the sweet embrace of the Miswah"

Fandango - "Yes, m'lud, I also find it astonishing in the extreme that the vehicle might have decided to "Drive itself at one hundred and thirty" of her majesty's miles per hour and per chance over take a fair few Patrons of the road trafic network..."

Fandango - "Tea, m'lud? why I serve the best and finest blend in the county of Essex... Oh you'd heard that had you... hmmm

SJ
      11-18-2007, 03:41 AM   #18
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post

Not doubting the story, but sounds like a lot of "safety" measures to get through, i.e. In gear, parking brake off, throttle applied etc.

SJ
I think they are going to get onto Audi first thing Monday morning. It does sound very odd behaviour, but on auto gearboxes is the gear lever a mechanical lever, or basically just a 'software' selector?.... I guess if the electronics on the car are acting up then anything is possible.

Liked the Fandango comments
      11-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Fandango - "no, m'lud, I had applied juditious levels of torque to the emergency parking brake before diactivating the vehicle and returning to the sweet embrace of the Miswah"

Fandango - "Yes, m'lud, I also find it astonishing in the extreme that the vehicle might have decided to "Drive itself at one hundred and thirty" of her majesty's miles per hour and per chance over take a fair few Patrons of the road trafic network..."

Fandango - "Tea, m'lud? why I serve the best and finest blend in the county of Essex... Oh you'd heard that had you... hmmm

SJ

Your a boy maye aint ya...
      11-18-2007, 04:37 AM   #20
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Audi almost lost it all in the US in the 80s with cases of "unintended acceleration". However back then I believe at least the cars had to be occupied and running!!! Lucky you didn't walk round the back to leave the note

Quote:

SJ
Appreciate 0