M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

03-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Damn. Ferrari knows how to make a Twin Turbo V8!

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

Now why can't other manufacturers take note? A turbo engine does not have to sound bad! Thank you Ferrari!

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...n-decades.html

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

Now why can't other manufacturers take note? A turbo engine does not have to sound bad! Thank you Ferrari!

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...n-decades.html
i dont agree

NA california sounds OK if we are talking ferrari standards! its quietest and slowest model they had to date, now its california T, it sounds as shit and as quiet as stock M5
i know i am judging california T by commercial below, by i hear NA californias every day, so unless u go catless with T you won't hear it

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Eh... Its okay. I prefer the M5 Turbo sound
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21
Sounds horrible...!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
i dont agree

NA california sounds OK if we are talking ferrari standards! its quietest and slowest model they had to date, now its california T, it sounds as shit and as quiet as stock M5
i know i am judging california T by commercial below, by i hear NA californias every day, so unless u go catless with T you won't hear it

I agree and disagree. I think the Cali sounds AWESOME! That's part of why I thought about keeping mine.

This turbo version sounds very much like a turbo and not like a Ferrari. I was worried about that when I heard that they were going with turbos. How can you own a Ferrari that doesn't have that glorious pitch?! Ugh...

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
That whistle at the start of the video - from a Ferrari?

It's loud, but sonorous would not be a description I would use.

+1 on preference for M5 turbo sound, at least from listening to this video.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
ace10
Rep
Drives: Various and Sundry

288 GTO and F40 weren't too shabby.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

A. I agree with ColdList. I think the first gen California sounded great.

B. I wish I had the production budget to make a video like that for my M5.

C. I gotta disagree. In the video I thought the sound of the new California T sounded good, but I can't decide if it sounds better than a stock F10 M5 with Comp Pack exhaust.

D. I wonder what the new California T would sound like with mufflers removed and maybe catless.

And

E. I know the alphabet.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Out of the 3 Ferraris the California T sounds the worst in this video IMO. It does not have that presence the non turbo Ferraris have
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
2013 M5 Black Sapphire( Retired )
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

The production car better not sound like in the video or it'll be the start of Ferrari's decline...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
A. I agree with ColdList. I think the first gen California sounded great.

B. I wish I had the production budget to make a video like that for my M5.

C. I gotta disagree. In the video I thought the sound of the new California T sounded good, but I can't decide if it sounds better than a stock F10 M5 with Comp Pack exhaust.

D. I wonder what the new California T would sound like with mufflers removed and maybe catless.

And

E. I know the alphabet.
Thankfully sound is subjective and what sounds terrible to some sounds good to others
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

I would reserve judgement till I actually heard one live! Sound is subjective and may be affected by quality of recording equipment, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #13
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
I would reserve judgement till I actually heard one live! Sound is subjective and may be affected by quality of recording equipment, etc.
Agree, but the two other Ferrari's sounded as usual in the video though...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

I think these manufacturers in general, including Ferrari need to stop putting mufflers on their turbo engine'd cars. The turbos themselves and the catalytic converters muffle the sound of the engine enough.

Case in point, the Fiat Abarth. 1.4L 4 cylinder Single Turbo engine that comes from the factory with no resonators and no mufflers and sounds like a mini Ferrari. In many ways I think the stock exhaust note on the Abarth sounds much more exotic than the F10 M5, even though one is an Italian Hot Hatch and the other is an German Sports Sedan, but my point being that with the right exhaust setup a turbo car can sound good. I kept the exhaust on mine stock cause it doesn't need an exhaust and I daily drive it and get pure enjoyment from the stock exhaust note every day.

I think that if you opened up the exhaust a bit on the new California-T, you would find an exhaust note worthy of a Ferrari. From what it sounds like Ferrari went through great lengths to try and keep that Ferrari exhaust note with the flat-plane crank shaft and equal length exhaust manifolds. It's just a shame that they have to bottle up that sound due to EU and U.S. db sound regulations. I think there's the great sound of a Ferrari engine hidden behind the mufflers on the new California-T. So far as I can tell from the videos there are hints of some Ferrari flavor sound from the new California-T engine, but it's just too muffled to tell. I will say that most of you are right, compared to other more natural Ferrari's, the California-T pales in comparison.

I will never give up hope that a turbo engine can sound every bit as good as a NA engine, you just have to design it right.

The performance of the engine seems legit too.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think these manufacturers in general, including Ferrari need to stop putting mufflers on their turbo engine'd cars. The turbos themselves and the catalytic converters muffle the sound of the engine enough.

Case in point, the Fiat Abarth. 1.4L 4 cylinder Single Turbo engine that comes from the factory with no resonators and no mufflers and sounds like a mini Ferrari. In many ways I think the stock exhaust note on the Abarth sounds much more exotic than the F10 M5, even though one is an Italian Hot Hatch and the other is an German Sports Sedan, but my point being that with the right exhaust setup a turbo car can sound good. I kept the exhaust on mine stock cause it doesn't need an exhaust and I daily drive it and get pure enjoyment from the stock exhaust note every day.

I think that if you opened up the exhaust a bit on the new California-T, you would find an exhaust note worthy of a Ferrari. From what it sounds like Ferrari went through great lengths to try and keep that Ferrari exhaust note with the flat-plane crank shaft and equal length exhaust manifolds. It's just a shame that they have to bottle up that sound due to EU and U.S. db sound regulations. I think there's the great sound of a Ferrari engine hidden behind the mufflers on the new California-T. So far as I can tell from the videos there are hints of some Ferrari flavor sound from the new California-T engine, but it's just too muffled to tell. I will say that most of you are right, compared to other more natural Ferrari's, the California-T pales in comparison.

I will never give up hope that a turbo engine can sound every bit as good as a NA engine, you just have to design it right.

The performance of the engine seems legit too.
I have to agree. Having the turbos is enough of a muffler. When I wanted to remove the mufflers on my car I was told I might have problems passing inspection in Pennsylvania. Well I thought just go to a good friend who can do inspection no matter what. What I later found out, was that if you have turbos on your car it counts as a muffler and it is perfectly legal! So I am in the same boat as you, remove those dam mufflers!
Appreciate 0