F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > break-in period?
GetBMWParts

02-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
habs33
Rep
Drives: bmw

break-in period?

Hi all,

have been driving my 335xi GT M-sport for about a month now and have around 500km

its my first Bimmer so i was wondering what is the typical break in period for the 335 engine?

so far most of the driving is in comfort mode and must say am not impressed with the power….especially torque.

at the sametime i don't want to drive it too hard right now since its new this is why i ask about the 'break-in' period.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
It's in the manual. 2,000km IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

what break in period?

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:21 AM   #4
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

My dealer laught when I asked about it and told me to push it from day one...

Every demo car at the dealer is driven flat out from the start and with a cold engine aswell.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #5
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

No break in period will result in:
- higher oil consumption
- less hp / torque
- earlier engine failure

The dealer's demo cars are for sure affected by all of these. But the dealer will never know, because he sells the car after 6 months.

Modern cars and their engines can take a lot of stress. The engine won't fail immediatly if you drive a car with 0km from the dealer straight to the Autobahn.

Braking in is advised because the cylinders and pistons have very very small fabrication annomalies. If you run the engine at low revs they grind evenly off and they become a perfect match. If you put too much stress on the engine, "lager" (but by no means really large... :-) chunks break off and the engine loose a small amount of efficency.

During the first 2000km - just keep your revs low (below 3/4 max rev.) drive at alternating speeds/revs highway/interstate/city etc. and you'll get the optimum out of your car.

Btw: breaks, suspension and tires also need ~300km to be fully functional!

bye,
Darky
      02-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
habs33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOBLAST View Post

Every demo car at the dealer is driven flat out from the start and with a cold engine aswell.
yes that's b/c he would love to service your car…this is how they actually make $$. in warranty or not, someone has to pay for his time which is expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
habs33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
- higher oil consumption
- less hp / torque
- earlier engine failure

The dealer's demo cars are for sure affected by all of these. But the dealer will never know, because he sells the car after 6 months.

Modern cars and their engines can take a lot of stress. The engine won't fail immediatly if you drive a car with 0km from the dealer straight to the Autobahn.

Braking in is advised because the cylinders and pistons have very very small fabrication annomalies. If you run the engine at low revs they grind evenly off and they become a perfect match. If you put too much stress on the engine, "lager" (but by no means really large... :-) chunks break off and the engine loose a small amount of efficency.

During the first 2000km - just keep your revs low (below 3/4 max rev.) drive at alternating speeds/revs highway/interstate/city etc. and you'll get the optimum out of your car.

bye,
Darky
Thx Darky! for the amount of consumption the N55 engine uses i don't see a real benefit over the 328.
I figured to get the Heavier GT xdrive model moving quicker the 335 is a better choice. almost seems like i need to drive in sport+ mode to see a real difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
yes that's b/c he would love to service your car…this is how they actually make $$. in warranty or not, someone has to pay for his time which is expensive.
I guess so. I did as the manual said anyways, just to be sure...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Hi all,

have been driving my 335xi GT M-sport for about a month now and have around 500km

its my first Bimmer so i was wondering what is the typical break in period for the 335 engine?

so far most of the driving is in comfort mode and must say am not impressed with the power….especially torque.

at the sametime i don't want to drive it too hard right now since its new this is why i ask about the 'break-in' period.
If you perform a search, you will see many, many discussions concerning the break-in period.

Personally, I do not strictly adhere to the manufacturer's suggested break-in. I follow it somewhat (e.g., I keep the car below triple digit speeds for the first few hundred miles as the tires break in).

I avoid WOT throttle operation for the first 4-500 miles as well. Furthermore, it is good to vary the engine speed during the first 1,000-1,200 miles. Too much highway driving in the same gear at the same engine speed isn't the best for the motor.

However, most of the time, after the car's vital fluids (oil, in particular) have reached normal operating temperature, I let 'er rip. For me, this has always resulted in "strong" motors that don't burn oil, make the power they're expected to make, etc.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Unless you are beating the crap out of the car from the start, there is no point in a "break-in period" anymore with these cars.

BMW does not put a different type of oil in there like they do with the M cars for the first 1,000 miles.

Also, you'll be lucky to see results from breaking in a car after 100,000 miles. How many of us are keeping these cars past 60k miles and more than 5-6 years?
      03-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
TheWhiteStig
Tame Racing Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOBLAST View Post

Was joking with the salesmanager the other day, and he said: "Never trust a salesman!" I think he was only half (maybe less) joking on that thou.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
habs33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
If you perform a search, you will see many, many discussions concerning the break-in period.

Personally, I do not strictly adhere to the manufacturer's suggested break-in. I follow it somewhat (e.g., I keep the car below triple digit speeds for the first few hundred miles as the tires break in).

I avoid WOT throttle operation for the first 4-500 miles as well. Furthermore, it is good to vary the engine speed during the first 1,000-1,200 miles. Too much highway driving in the same gear at the same engine speed isn't the best for the motor.

However, most of the time, after the car's vital fluids (oil, in particular) have reached normal operating temperature, I let 'er rip. For me, this has always resulted in "strong" motors that don't burn oil, make the power they're expected to make, etc.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
habs33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
- higher oil consumption
- less hp / torque
- earlier engine failure

bye,
Darky
I noticed this about the brakes
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #14
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteStig View Post
Was joking with the salesmanager the other day, and he said: "Never trust a salesman!" I think he was only half (maybe less) joking on that thou.
He might just be crying on the inside... Why is every used car "good looking", "perfect condition" and so on? Someone must be lying I've even seen "- Never driven in rain...".
Appreciate 0