M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

02-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Good-bye M3, M5's a keeper

I let my E92 M3 go today and it was bittersweet. I drove it for the last time with the new owner in it just to show him a few things about the car, especially the DCT. I hadn't driven it for a while and had forgotten how razor-sharp the steering is. The M3 is just a great car. It was very gratifying to sell it to someone who really appreciated it. He just lit up when he got behind the wheel, especially when he felt how responsive the steering and the throttle was. It was basically his dream car and I really enjoyed his enthusiasm. He is in his mid-thirties which is probably the perfect age for that car. He's already talking about an exhaust and maybe wheels. He got a gem (always good to buy from a car lover). I absolutely babied that car - always garaged, always serviced, 28,600 miles on a 2008, almost new Pilot Super Sports, never a problem of any kind, fully loaded. Yes, I felt a few pangs when he drove off but I was truly happy that it went to an M3 enthusiast.

When I got back into my M5 the first thing I noticed was the luxurious feel of the car, the cabin is so well appointed. I got in and it was just "ahhhh". Yes, the steering is not as sharp as the M3's but it's damn good and the ride is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I know I am getting old because the M3 feels just a bit too firm for me now- not harsh, but I simply prefer the M5. The new owner was very impressed with the power of the M3 and I must admit it felt pretty fast, especially from the passenger seat. However, hopping back into the M5 made me realize that this car is in a different league. The rolling acceleration of the M5 is mind boggling - when you hit the sweet spot of the gearing and the revs it feels like warp drive. The M3 is fast but the M5 is a monster. I think that I have finally found a car that doesn't have me longing for something faster.

Will I miss the M3? Probably a little, especially its nimbleness and size. However the M5 offers so much that I lost my desire to drive the M3 and couldn't justify having it. I had it listed for sale for a while but I kept toying with the idea of keeping it just because. However, I was raised by Depression-era parents to not be wasteful and it would just seem wrong to me to let such a fine car sit. So, all in all, it was a very good day for an extremely happy new M3 owner and an extremely happy old M5 owner.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Wow, great story! Yeah M3 and M5 two different cars, but they compliment each other well. Still love M3's though.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

You'll probably find that you will miss the M3 in some aspects, but the M5 makes up for it in other areas.

This is how I felt and still feel coming from owning 3 E60 M5's from 2006-2010 and now driving a 2013 F10 M5.
      02-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I am happy I had the E92 M3. It was a great BMW entry car for me. That car was amazing. But this F10 M5 is on a different level.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

It's funny how people post typical main section posts over here in the "M5 vs." section now. More fun here :-)

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Well congrats. I still don't have the heart to give my E90 M3 up.
Appreciate 0