BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

11-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

M3 Pricing is $62,000 Base, $70,000 loaded

I can't believe I'm the first to post. Car and Driver Shootout (On stands now) of the C63, RS4 and M3 quotes actual pricing. The Rs4 is $80k!!! The C63 is actually a tad more than the M3.... but ... oh FU*K!.... 0-60 in 3.9, demolishing the M3's 4.3 seconds....

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...08-bmw-m3.html

Last edited by NewhouseEnt; 11-07-2007 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Info
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No, I didn't buy and scan the mag because I'm a cheap bastard and was really not very happy.

Here's my tout... I'm in my favorite mid $60's ride on the freeway, and a C63 comes along and I have to actually NOT tangle with this thing in any way, because even if I was the finest driver on earth, I know a total, real life Zoo Monkey driving the C63 is going to as a fact, whip the dog shit out of me?

C63 Quote "a more restrained squeeze yields a fuss-free launch, followed by a hair-raising 3.9-second explosion to 60 mph, easily outrunning the other two. Upshifts happen quickly, leaving just the smallest interruption in the surge of power on the way to a blazing 12.3-second quarter-mile at 116 mph, and the Benz keeps charging hard until it runs headfirst..."

This is not a "Driver wins the race" dual here. The M3 tested at I belive it was 4.3 seconds. The C63 at 3.9 and pulled all the way to the end. Quarter mile gap is pretty significant going to the MBZ. This is a guarenteed you're getting your ass kicked alley fight where you lose. No feathering the clutch, no furious shifting will help... you're getting your ass kicked, period.
Although... The caveat is that the M3 WON.
IS NUMBER ONE in the test.

The RS4 was LAST.

The C63 got 10mpg in the city, (Quote "averaging 10 mpg over 700 miles") was a super harsh ride. The the M3 was cheaper, got better MPG and is a daily driver.

I guess BMW is eyeballing this shootout and saying, now we know what we have to do to the CSL.

Last edited by NewhouseEnt; 11-07-2007 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: More Info
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post
I can't believe I'm the first to post.
You aren't (...we talked about it last month)!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92041

....and that base price is just an estimate!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wait for the duel in the turn

Well you don't even have to wait for track vs. track comparisons. We know the M3 not only pulls more lateral g's, does the lane change and slaloms way faster but it will likely post better track times as well. Add DCT and the gap and effort to get it will significantly decline, strip and track.

This is classic AMG vs. M no surprises. AMG faster in a straight line, M3 on the track (again that has not been "proven" yet but I suspect that is the way the cards will fall. The two surprising role reversals this time are 1. The the AMG has good handling and steering as opposed to many complaints about the M3s steering and 2. The M3 is more comfortable. Odd.

Bottom line if all your need to feed your ego is the ability to best M3s at stop light or freeway races buy the AMG, simple!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You aren't (...we talked about it last month)!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92041

....and that base price is just an estimate!
Unless I misread the charts which are NOT in the Online version or the article, the figures are not estimated because thewy got to the prices from a base and then added options. The figures where written as solid quoatable figures. I have seen other articles say "est" but not in the paper version of the mag... Maybe I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater

Feel free to pay 62K base for yours.:sad0147:

I plan on taking mine for a ~10% price increase over the 2006, or 47K.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Unless I misread the charts which are NOT in the Online version or the article, the figures are not estimated because thewy got to the prices from a base and then added options. The figures where written as solid quoatable figures. I have seen other articles say "est" but not in the paper version of the mag... Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah I forgot that BMW planned to release their pricing through a US publication called Car and Driver. Oh wait......

No official pricing yet

Jason
      11-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
"truthiness" is quickly and deftly punished here on the M3post board ain't it?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

Car and Driver posted their estimated price. $70 K. When I talked to my dealer last week, he wasn't far from what Car and Driver was estimating. The
cost of the car keeps increasing as the value of the dollar drops!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Or people keep comparing the price of the M3 to the Merc and Audi equivalents... which makes no sense since historically the M3 has been much cheaper than the RS4 and AMG's....
      11-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Yeah I forgot that BMW planned to release their pricing through a US publication called Car and Driver. Oh wait......

No official pricing yet

Jason
Thats the funniest thing I've read all day. Classic.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater

Or people keep comparing the price of the M3 to the Merc and Audi equivalents... which makes no sense since historically the M3 has been much cheaper than the RS4 and AMG's....

+1
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick berry View Post
The
cost of the car keeps increasing as the value of the dollar drops!
I don't doubt that. BMW is very smart to hold onto pricing until the last possible second.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #14
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was wrong... partially

I went back to the magazine and looked again. There is in fact a "est" box that isn't inline with the price, so I didn't see it the first time. However, the magazine goes to great lengths to say the M3 is the cheapest in several spots in the article, and gives very exact numbers, such as the "$62,000 base." Not $59,000 or $60,000 but $62,000.
In saying it is the cheapest, it is only cheaper from their posted price by about $1,000 under the C63. That also tells me the figures are dead on, or the assertion that the M3 is cheapest would be a ridiculous statement being so close in price to the MBZ. By $1,000 - $2,000, I they didn’t know what the price really was, they wouldn’t know it was $1k - $2k in the first place. The C63 for all they know could be $3,000 cheaper, preventing them from speculating at all. I hope everyone gets what my point is.

I also have a solution to my "whine" about the C63 smoking your ass in a race... A ProCeed or other system will drop you dead into the 3.9 sec range for very little money. I bet $$ Vishnu comes out with a ProCeed system within 4 months of release of the M3. That will care of any C63 advantage. The chances of even coming up on a C63 on the road would be remote; the chances of meeting a modded C63 are even more slim-to-none.

Someone made mention that if I wanted straight line speed only, get the C63. In SoCal there are very, very few twisty roads. Its almost 100% nothing but straight line conditions here, so a straight acceleration tussle is the only race most people will ever see, barring a track.

I believe anyone driving the C63 would be right on your tail on a track. The numbers are too close. But there are many other factors in cars to choose.

I'm off the C63. It is just one of the ugliest machines I have ever witnessed coming out of Germany. It looks like a Kragen kit car. That and Consumer Reports listing just about every Mercedes made on the Worst Reliability list makes me also seriously off the C63. The C Class did receive decent marks, but with the overall brand and the C63 being a new model, who wants to play around with $70,000+?

Sounds like the C63 will beat the living tar out of you on daily commutes. This is where the M3 shines…. being a smoking fast daily driver, BMW pays for maintenance, looks gorgeous, has respect…. To me there is no choice after thinking about it the last few days.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Quote:

I also have a solution to my "whine" about the C63 smoking your ass in a race... A ProCeed or other system will drop you dead into the 3.9 sec range for very little money. I bet $$ Vishnu comes out with a ProCeed system within 4 months of release of the M3. That will care of any C63 advantage. The chances of even coming up on a C63 on the road would be remote; the chances of meeting a modded C63 are even more slim-to-none.
The Vishnu tune remaps the computer control of the 335i's twin turbos. They have no chips/piggybacks/programs for normally aspirated engines, so a Proceed or a Xede or anything else they sell won't help a bit with the E92 M3.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/products.htm

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #16
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln View Post
The Vishnu tune remaps the computer control of the 335i's twin turbos. They have no chips/piggybacks/programs for normally aspirated engines, so a Proceed or a Xede or anything else they sell won't help a bit with the E92 M3.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/products.htm
Dang it!

What are the options for less than a few grand that would drop it to 3.9 seconds?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Get out more

Quote:
Someone made mention that if I wanted straight line speed only, get the C63. In SoCal there are very, very few twisty roads. Its almost 100% nothing but straight line conditions here, so a straight acceleration tussle is the only race most people will ever see, barring a track.
You have got to be kidding.

Do you ever get off the freeways? Do you ever just go driving for the fun of it - exploring? I have lived all over OC and San Diego and spent some time around LA as well. There are twisties, beautiful canyon roads, hills/mountains and all amazing driving roads littered ALL over So. Cal. I guess I could list some for you but note sure it would do any good with your bizarre view of So Cal.

Get the C63, get some softer springs and shocks, try to find as many of the engine mods as possible that wil probably take the beast up to 500 hp (many wil be available from MB!) and have fun drag racing M3s on all of those straight roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #18
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Dang it!

What are the options for less than a few grand that would drop it to 3.9 seconds?
Nothing. If Vishnu could tune the regular engine, they would've released a product for E90 back in 2005 and made tons of money. btw, no other product can "drop" the M3 for almost 1/2 second for less than a few grands. I may look at $10k.
      11-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

Do you ever get off the freeways? Do you ever just go driving for the fun of it - exploring? I have lived all over OC and San Diego and spent some time around LA as well. There are twisties, beautiful canyon roads, hills/mountains and all amazing driving roads littered ALL over So. Cal. I guess I could list some for you but note sure it would do any good with your bizarre view of So Cal.

Get the C63, get some softer springs and shocks, try to find as many of the engine mods as possible that wil probably take the beast up to 500 hp (many wil be available from MB!) and have fun drag racing M3s on all of those straight roads.

+10

I was just about to comment on his bizarre (..and incorrect) view of So.Cal, but you've handled that for me ol' Swamp. He definitely needs to get out more.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #20
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

That's not what I meant. I'm saying on the twisty's, you'll never come across a C63 (being there at the same time you're there...)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not what I meant. I'm saying on the twisty's, you'll never come across a C63 (being there at the same time you're there...)
Sounds very different than what you actually said,
Quote:
"In SoCal there are very, very few twisty roads. Its almost 100% nothing but straight line conditions here..."
It appears to be some major back pedaling to me...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #22
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
How old are you?
Appreciate 0