E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320d E92 Fumes coming from the engine (DPF?)

01-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
kvnhawk
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320d Space Gray

320d E92 Fumes coming from the engine (DPF?)

Hi all,

I took the car to BM for a service to look at a Bluetooth fault and a faint smell of fumes when the aircon is on. (The car was and is driving fine, slightly uneasy on idle in the cold, but apart from that no performance issues) After BMW looked at it they told me there was a problem with the engine\exhaust and that they do not recommend me driving the vehicle. They said it the DPF might be blocked and it is causing fumes to come back up the engine. So they quoted 6K excluding VAT to replace the DPF and the majority of the engine, even though they can’t tell me for sure what is causing it… Ha! I said no thanks.

So here is a video of what’s happening;

There is fumes coming from the Rocker Cover area, it has melted the foam on the engine cover and caused a real mucky mess in that area. The foam has hardened and is basically like a weak form of cement. I initially was convinced it was the DPF, but there are no errors. Sure if it was that the dash would be lit up!

Has anyone come across this and have any ideas to clean that off the engine? BM said they have never seen it before, typical!

(BM have had the car for a week and a bit, I got it back and parked it outside the house, the next day the front drivers side spring snapped overnight… nightmare)

Kevin
Attached Images

Last edited by kvnhawk; 01-28-2014 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Duplicate links
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Sorry i cant help with whats happened but what year and mileage is your car?
Thats terrible and imo bmw should be covering that, its not like tyres brakes etc which you expect to replace etc.
Thats surely got to be a design fault
      01-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 MT

That happened to my mums e270cdi, one of the injector seals had blown and the fumes formed a crust around the faulty injector.

Alpina D3 sold 2015
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #4
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Injector seal has failed and allowed combusted hot particles to escape marketing the cover.Seen this before.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
kvnhawk
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320d Space Gray

The car is 2007 and has 115K miles on it, but I had to put a new engine in it at 93k because a pistol split and shot out the side of the engine. BM said they had never seen that happen before either! They also wouldn't fix it out of warranty.

If it is an injector seal is that a big job to fix? I have managed to clean a lot of the rubbish out. I am thinking of putting a bit of engine grease cleaner on it and power hosing the rest off?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Nah easy job ,if it is that you should hear a chuffing noise around the suspect injector.Makes even more sense that it's occurred if it's had a new engine.
Fuel pipe off,injector collar off then pull it out, clean it up new seal on then refit.
Appreciate 0