BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

10-31-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

SatNav/Hi Fi question

Does anyone know if the Logic 7 optioned hi fi in the M3 will allow playback of MP3s from DVD and if so will it do so at the same time as using the SatNav?

It already has an IPOD connector I believe? Dont think Ill bother with the USB option.

Also, is it worth spending £820 on the logic 7 upgrade?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Does anyone know if the Logic 7 optioned hi fi in the M3 will allow playback of MP3s from DVD and if so will it do so at the same time as using the SatNav?

It already has an IPOD connector I believe? Dont think Ill bother with the USB option.

Also, is it worth spending £820 on the logic 7 upgrade?

Thanks
MP3's from DVD? I assume that you are referring to MP3's on disc (CD-R)? If so, it should! The E46 ///M3 allowed MP3 playback when on disc.

As far as whether it is worth it or not, the ///M owners will have to answer that question for you, as subjective a question as it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
MP3's from DVD? I assume that you are referring to MP3's on disc (CD-R)? If so, it should! The E46 ///M3 allowed MP3 playback when on disc.

As far as whether it is worth it or not, the ///M owners will have to answer that question for you, as subjective a question as it is.

Thanks but I didnt mean MP3s from CD-R but MP3s from DVD-R. The head unit I have in my Audi plays DVD_Rs full of MP3s. About 100 hours of music per DVD. I believe it does do this but I'm unsure if the SatNav needs its DVD in when in use?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I don't believe the Ipod connector will work with other mp3 players. If you have something other than a Ipod, you can hook it up via USB.
      10-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

The i-drive will play mp3's off a DVD, but since you will be using the DVD-Drive for the Mp3's you wouldn't be able to use the NAV, since the NAV-disk would not be in the drive.

You've got plenty of other options though. You could play mp3 off the CD drive, or simply use the 6FL USB/Ipod adapter as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
The i-drive will play mp3's off a DVD, but since you will be using the DVD-Drive for the Mp3's you wouldn't be able to use the NAV, since the NAV-disk would not be in the drive.

You've got plenty of other options though. You could play mp3 off the CD drive, or simply use the 6FL USB/Ipod adapter as well.
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. The SatNav needs the DVD in therefore DVD-Rs full of MP3s cant be used at the same time.

Standard spec states that an IPOD socket is included so Ill just buy a new IPOD. Especially as the additional USB stick option is £250 ish so I may as well just go buy a new IPOD (never bothered before as I have a hardwired in TomTom and a JVC DVD MP3 head unit so could use both together).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Can one of you ///M3 owners please take a picture of the IPOD/USB connection and its location???
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4Cx / X3 M40i

while we're somewhat on this topic, i wanted to know, how many speakers does the individual sound system have, and how many does the hi-fi have? is hi-fi = Logic 7??? is it just the number of speakers that differs both systems or is it more technical than that?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #9
ChrisW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Can one of you ///M3 owners please take a picture of the IPOD/USB connection and its location???
IPod and USB connections are both inside armrest. Photo shows USB memory stick which I'm using.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

Is there away to see actual dvd or ist just for nav, I read somewhere you could hack it and watch movies but it was maybe just bs.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

The DVD drive is either for the Map DVD or for data DVDs with audio tracks, like mp3 files. The system is not designed to playback Video DVD.

Aftermarket solutions are out there though, that use a external DVD player should you want to go that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. The SatNav needs the DVD in therefore DVD-Rs full of MP3s cant be used at the same time.

Standard spec states that an IPOD socket is included so Ill just buy a new IPOD. Especially as the additional USB stick option is £250 ish so I may as well just go buy a new IPOD (never bothered before as I have a hardwired in TomTom and a JVC DVD MP3 head unit so could use both together).
Bear in mind though thats just a standard 3.5mm audio input jack, allowing you to route any audio you want into the BMW system from a external audio source, such as a ipod. It does not control the ipod in anyway.

If you want full control of your ipod, with track information on the i-drive screen, you must choose option 6FL, the USB-iPod interface.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 03:55 AM   #13
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcars View Post
while we're somewhat on this topic, i wanted to know, how many speakers does the individual sound system have, and how many does the hi-fi have? is hi-fi = Logic 7??? is it just the number of speakers that differs both systems or is it more technical than that?
You can find Logic 7 specs under bmwusa.com 335 specs. It is standard in the 335 coupe and sedan. I had it in my 330i 06 model year. It was 13 speakers as I remember, including 2 subwoofers under the front seats. Clarity was exceptional and the base response would bounce you out of the car if you wanted. Like you, I am still waiting for confirmation in the USA market if Logic 7 is standard or is considered the "individual audio" option. If you want to see what the standard audio system "might" be in the M3 refer to the 328 USA model standard system.

"Is there away to see actual dvd or ist just for nav, I read somewhere you could hack it and watch movies but it was maybe just bs."

I have read "somewhere" that BMW actually enables the iDrive screen to play DVD's from the factory for some markets. Of course it is illegal in the USA and disabled...as you have said, there is probably a hack for it somehwere.
      11-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
IPod and USB connections are both inside armrest. Photo shows USB memory stick which I'm using.
Thanks!

Quote:
The DVD drive is either for the Map DVD or for data DVDs with audio tracks, like mp3 files. The system is not designed to playback Video DVD.

Aftermarket solutions are out there though, that use a external DVD player should you want to go that way.
Does BMW offer the TV option in Europe? If so, then we may just be able to order the wiring kit (..like w/ the E46) and software, and utilize the TV option here.

Quote:

If you want full control of your ipod, with track information on the i-drive screen, you must choose option 6FL, the USB-iPod interface.
That is what I'd like a picture of.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Leg,

If you are interested in quality I would save the money on the i-Pod and put it into a USB connection. The 3.5mm sockets aren't great for producing great sound, so unless you are keeping the bog-standard sound system that comes in the car, go the USB route.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #16
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Leg,

If you are interested in quality I would save the money on the i-Pod and put it into a USB connection. The 3.5mm sockets aren't great for producing great sound, so unless you are keeping the bog-standard sound system that comes in the car, go the USB route.
I agree and technically you are probably correct, but much depends on the bit rate at which the song was recorded. I had a cheap MP3 player plugged directly to the standard receptor and with the Logic 7 system, the clarity was outstanding. Mind you any song of average length in MP3 format that has a file size smaller than 4MB will perhaps give you very average sound quality. You can find the bit rate displayed at the bottom of Windows Media Player while the song is in play or in the file info when you mouse over it. 192kbs gives you decent sound although 320+ is better.