M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

12-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

My independent shop said oil change voids warranty

that if he changed my oil my warranty would be voided by BMW. True?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

No it's not true.

If it's a scheduled chance I go to BMW. But I get oil and filter service in between by an Indy shop.

Did you buy it? Keep records for when you sell it.
      12-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Simple oil change is always a plus, especially if you plan on keeping it. The service intervals are long so no harm in doing a mid change and there is no way it will void unless you put the wrong oil in.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

Tp be extra careful you may want to keep documentation on the type of oil utilized.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

This troubles me. I'm seriously considering, and most likely will buy an M5 after the first of the year. I have complained/lamented on this board that BMW does not include dipsticks with these cars as a duplicate check to their cute little oil level system. Certainly, the primary demographic associated with buying these cars is not one prone to changing oil. BMW further drives behavior, and discourages DIY maintenance in any number of ways. Beyond the initial 1,200 mile service, I don't anticipate my car visiting the dealer very often. Quite frankly, I am much more careful with my stuff than even the most attentive tech. If the warranty is impacted by my servicing the car, I've got a problem...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
that if he changed my oil my warranty would be voided by BMW. True?
What a moron!

BMW cannot do that. They also can't mandate you even change the oil - it is a "suggested maintenance schedule". They also can only deny warranty if your lack of maintenance caused the failure - so they can't deny warranty on your headlights because you didn't do an oil change. They also can't deny warranty on your powertrain if you did maintenance yourself or through third-party.

Here is the FTC position on this:
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

That said I always change my oil at the dealership. Don't see why I would go to an indy. The dealer does my off cycle oil changes and charges me 1 hour labor (I provide the Castrol 0W-30 and BMW filter). For the on-cycle oil changes, I provide the Castrol oil, they do the labor and filter for free and then they give me 9 bottles of BMW 5W-30 since it has to be booked against the job when it is done under the maintenance plan.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 12-12-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

If you dont drive your alot:

My SA said that if my mileage interval doesnt hit and its been a year since my last BMW authorized service; I can bring my car in for the change.

This worked with my M6 (e63) as I didnt put a lot of miles on it but had for more than a year after the 1200 mile break in service.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I would be upset if they changed to 5-30. There was a tag in my engine bay that said it was filled with 0-30 from the factory, hand signed from a tech I guess. I would assume that they would keep the same oil in it?? Is this diff from '13?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'm using 5/30 castrol
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I provide the Castrol oil, they do the labor and filter for free and then they give me 9 bottles of BMW 5W-30 since it has to be booked against the job when it is done under the maintenance plan.
What do you do with the oil? can't you figure out a way to put those 9 quarts toward the one hour labor for the off-cycle change?
      12-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
What do you do with the oil? can't you figure out a way to put those 9 quarts toward the one hour labor for the off-cycle change?
Not worth my while to be selling oil. I can't throw it in the trash for environmental reasons. So I just give it to a guy in my office who has a old Land Rover Defender.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

yeah I figured... couldn't see you trying to sell off some oil from a dealer
      01-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
That said I always change my oil at the dealership. Don't see why I would go to an indy. The dealer does my off cycle oil changes and charges me 1 hour labor (I provide the Castrol 0W-30 and BMW filter).
Enquired about an unscheduled oil change with my service dept (I have 5 year Service Inclusive); was told by the SA that the parts dept had to confirm the oil from the chassis number. Patched through to parts and was put on hold whilst they confirmed the details on the computer (probably went to service dept to confirm what the dealership uses ).

Came back with 0w-30 and when I asked if this was Castrol, was encouraged to not by my own oil, but use the dealerships oil, as worst case, if there was a future related warranty claim, the use of my own oil could be questioned and this was not worth it for what I could save.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Enquired about an unscheduled oil change with my service dept (I have 5 year Service Inclusive); was told by the SA that the parts dept had to confirm the oil from the chassis number. Patched through to parts and was put on hold whilst they confirmed the details on the computer (probably went to service dept to confirm what the dealership uses ).

Came back with 0w-30 and when I asked if this was Castrol, was encouraged to not by my own oil, but use the dealerships oil, as worst case, if there was a future related warranty claim, the use of my own oil could be questioned and this was not worth it for what I could save.

My dealer, fortunately, has done nothing of the sort. To their credit-(it is rare that I'd give credit to a dealer service dept)-they have no issue with the oil that will always be used from the first change-on. I told them that it will be M1 0W-40 Euro Formula. Heck, the manual states that this is an acceptable grade. How in the "Wide World of Sports" can they look at you with a straight face and spew such silliness that they wouldn't use it?... (beyond wanting the benefit of marking up that Castrol stuff they use?). That would be no different than the Harley Davidson dealer telling me I can't use M1 V-Twin 20W-50 instead of the HD 20W-50 for warranty reasons. It is, undoubtedly, pure poppycock.

I really do love this car; it is my first BMW. That said, my only complaint with the company from the factory through the dealer is what I call "The Wizard of Oz" component/theme that seems to be found with respect to anything but driving these vehicles. (No real oil dipsticks, if only for verification of the electronic oil level wiz-bangery, no capacities in the owners manual beyond maybe fuel, no part numbers, and an overall incredulous or condescending tone toward individuals desirous of doing the majority of their own preventative maintenance, if only to take interim measures that are over and above the factory schedule. I need a little transparency here, but don't think I'll get it without a bunch of legwork on my part (which I will do)...

OK, rant over--back to the NFL playoffs...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post

Echoes my visit to the Atlanta dealer except they tried to peddle 5W-30 here and I made them use my oil and note in the service record that it was Castrol Edge 0W-30 made in Germany and bearing BMW LL01 certification.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
If you dont drive your alot:

My SA said that if my mileage interval doesnt hit and its been a year since my last BMW authorized service; I can bring my car in for the change.

This worked with my M6 (e63) as I didnt put a lot of miles on it but had for more than a year after the 1200 mile break in service.
+1 Same thing in northern Canada.
Appreciate 0