BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

12-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
muskanoosh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 2008 silverstone

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
master window switch broken - FIX or REPLACE?

So the master window switch (e92 m3) has a broken switch; it's the one that operates the passenger side; this is a mechanical thing - not electical

the switch just flops up and down - the usual "spring back" after you push the switch down doesn't work

I'm wondering if there's some spring in there that came loose or if I'm just better off replacing the whole unit; Ebay has $80 or so replacement units.

On a side note, I tried to take the whole thing out so I could further explore but once I released the unit from the springs I couldn't get the wiring bracket clip assembly harness disconnected from the unit. I tried gently with pliers but didn't want to force the issue and make the problem worse; Is this thing supposed to just pull out like a plug?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

Any picture? Usually there is a tab you have to push or pull to release the plug.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
muskanoosh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 2008 silverstone

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
it looks like it just plugs in

I just don't want to get aggressive with it and end up with a real problem
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

In case someone else tries to remove their driver's side window switch, don't do what I did and break the only one tab on the thing that can break! Pry the forward most (curved section) with a trim removal tool or if you are brave, with a thin, wide flat head screw driver. Then slide the window switch forwards about 1/2" to free the driver's side window switch. The front facing section is held in place by tension while the rear most section is held in place by plastic tab that cannot pull upwards, but must slide forwards to be removed. Take a look at this picture to see the only tab you can mess up. Also keep in mind there are some DIY guides out there for the non-M3 E9X series that show you should pull (or pry) the rear most section of the window switch upwards to remove it. Don't do that, I think the non-M3 may have a different tab configuration.

Appreciate 2
Mog-10145.00
      08-28-2023, 12:48 PM   #5
jaydv
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskanoosh View Post
So the master window switch (e92 m3) has a broken switch; it's the one that operates the passenger side; this is a mechanical thing - not electical

the switch just flops up and down - the usual "spring back" after you push the switch down doesn't work

I'm wondering if there's some spring in there that came loose or if I'm just better off replacing the whole unit; Ebay has $80 or so replacement units.

On a side note, I tried to take the whole thing out so I could further explore but once I released the unit from the springs I couldn't get the wiring bracket clip assembly harness disconnected from the unit. I tried gently with pliers but didn't want to force the issue and make the problem worse; Is this thing supposed to just pull out like a plug?
I know this is 10 yrs old but I’m having the same problem with the connector. How did you get it out?
Appreciate 0