Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Has the M4 vert lost weight?

When I compare the weight difference between the 435 coupe and 435 vert there is only 200 lbs difference, there was 400 lbs difference between the e92 and the e93 including M models.

These figures come from the specs on the BMW website and the weight listed in the 435 vert launch in this forum.

Have they changed the hardtop convertible mechanisms to be half the weight?

Can anyone confirm if this is accurate?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Anecdotally, I've heard that the convertible mechanism is the same, which is why the 4-series convertible is still a hardtop and not a soft-top -- BMW didn't want to invest in a new mechanism. There will probably be some weight savings, though those will come from elsewhere.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm3cab View Post
These figures come from the specs on the BMW website and the weight listed in the 435 vert launch in this forum.

Can anyone confirm if this is accurate?
I can't confirm or refute your info, but one thing I would be careful of is to make sure you are comparing equivalent weight standards. Sometimes figures are curb weights, sometimes they are GVW, etc. You have to do apples-to-apples to get a meaningful answer.

Off the cuff I would have to say that I doubt there has been any significant decrease in the weight difference between a coupe and convertible for the F3x 4 Series as compared to the 400 lbs. that separated them for the E9x generation cars. In turn, I would guess the same for the F8x vs. the E9x M3. That being said, it is definitely possible that the F83 will be lighter than the E93 M3 just as the F82 is lighter than the E92 M3.
Appreciate 0