E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Optima Battery Replacement on my E90??

11-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very Slow

Optima Battery Replacement on my E90??

Hey Guys I just wanted to check and see what your thoughts on replacing my 07 335i battery with an Optima I searched to see if anyone else has started this thread and nothing came up.

Unfortunately its getting cold and I notice my car almost not wanting to start, I have charged the battery a few times since I got the vehicle. I have changed my previous vehicles with optima's just making sure it wont affect anything electrical seeing as our batteries are the size of a flux capacitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

A few times?! I have the first bach of e90s ever and that's march of 05 and replaced mine once. Buy it and get the dealer or Indy to register it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
A few times?! I have the first bach of e90s ever and that's march of 05 and replaced mine once. Buy it and get the dealer or Indy to register it.
yeah 3 times to be exact and the first time was me putting my daughter in her carseat at night so the dome lights were on and my battery died B.S. if our batteries cant keep lights on for an hour at least. What do you mean by get the dealer or Indy to register it?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

BMWs include an IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which communicates with the alternator to control the rate of charge. It must be informed of the new battery so that it will not over or undercharge, and this is done by registration.

Also, since the E90 has a number of different OEM batteries, I choose to have my dealer install the correct unit and properly register it.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sinister_ View Post
yeah 3 times to be exact and the first time was me putting my daughter in her carseat at night so the dome lights were on and my battery died B.S. if our batteries cant keep lights on for an hour at least. What do you mean by get the dealer or Indy to register it?
You have to register a battery to tell your car it has a new battery. Also if you originally have a lead acid battery in your car, it will have to be programmed to handle the optima battery because it is a gel mat battery. These have a different charging current.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep

Got it thanks Guys this really helps
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i 6MT

Sorry to hijack, but is there a way to tell which battery I have? Its white if that helps
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep

Is it Huge? should have a model number you can reference.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringS2k View Post
Sorry to hijack, but is there a way to tell which battery I have? Its white if that helps
lead acid
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

OP some facts
Your battery negative post has a black connector which is actually the IBS which does not communicate with the alternator but the DME. The DME has memory holding the algorithm that it uses with input from the IBS to determine how to charge the battery. The IBS collects well over 20 parameters and reports them to the DME all to help lengthen the life of your battery.
Overly complex system. Registering your battery is just telling the DME that you have installed a new battery. It expects that you installed a battery of the same amp hours (AH) and cold cranking amps (CCA) that was there before. Frankly it hardly matters if it is within 10% of what the previous battery was.
For example if your AH was 90 and you installed 80-100 and CCA was 800 and you used 900 I hardly think you would need to do anything but register it. In other words close enough.

BMW batteries for the E90's are both wet cell lead acid and absorbed glass mat (AGM). My E93 was 900 CCA AGM battery. Most are wet cell lead acid. Allowing the battery to discharge like you did killed it. It is sulfited now and toast.

I would suggest using a local auto supply house like Advance Auto, NAPA, Auto Zone, etc to source your battery. Even Walmart has a couple batteries that fit perfectly and are the correct or close AH and CCA. Whoever replaces the battery needs to be careful and not rush to do this. I don't recommend the free auto supply stories that do this unless you help them and watch them like a hawk and take pictures of where the connectors go.
The IBS connector is fragile and given it is part of the negative cable harness and is EXPENSIVE like north of 160 bucks. So be careful.

I would guess and I say guess because I don't know your car that your battery is a wet cell lead acid battery.

I am an Optima fan and had two on my Super Duty Diesel and they are magnificent. However BMWs don't seem to take well to them in the E90. The lead acid battery should not be as expensive as the Optima anyway for the size you need.

Oh and Excide makes batteries for BMW and Bosch and the other main manufacturer is Douglas. BMW is currently sourcing another battery supplier so this list is outdated.

Please post what you did to help the rest of us learn for you experience...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info fun2drive and ill definitely post my battery decision and install.
Appreciate 0