E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SOS malfunction- FUXK!

11-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

SOS malfunction- FUXK!

Bought a 08 E92 two weeks ago. Two days ago, I got a warning with SOS malfuncion, and as many of you have experienced, the audio shut off, no radio, CD player has no sound, idrive is freezing up on random occasion.
Tried the 3 button reset, doesn't work.
As I research on different forum, it seems to be a problem for a lot of owners. Whether if it's the TCU, fuse, optic fibre not working.. Etc...
Took it to Reeves BMW today, and they told me it is the RR CCC unit, part is 900 alone and with labor and everything it will be 1600 to fix it.

I am beyond frustrated that I have to shell out over 1500 dollars to fix a car after I have it for two weeks. I bought extended warranty for electrical but apparently it doesn't cover this shit. Even though I bought everything possible that was on the extended warranty for $2100.

Not sure if I wanna get it fixed at Reeves... But yeah, not a good experience so far dealing with BMW and a problem that seems to be common to lot of people, but there's no recall for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very Slow

Damn that sucks! WHY Doesn't the Warranty cover it? Shitty dealer warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I had a similar audio failure in my '07 which was preceded by Navi "cannot read DVD" messages over a period of a few months. Each time when I ejected the DVD, it was very hot and the system would not function until it cooled off and would cut off after it heated up again. So after the audio went south (with a number of weird side effects like speaker noises with the car turned off) and the $1,600 dealer estimate (over the phone) for repair, I tried replacing the Navi DVD. I had been using a DVD-R I burned as a copy of the 2011 upgrade I had purchased so as not to damage the original, and it had worked fine for over a year. And after I put the original DVD in, the audio came back, the drive does not overheat and I've had no further issues for over a month. So before spending the $$$ for a new CCC, you might check the system DVD. While a new 2014 set costs about $200 from a dealer, it's better than replacing the entire unit.

Of course, it's also possible that my problem was an intermittent and the system may go out again, but in the meantime, I'll hold on to my $1,600.

Good luck.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

I've read about 15 posts bout this issue. It seems like a TCU problem, but the dealer thinks it's the CCC. Can someone else chipped in for the problem causing this?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
toryjlarsen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMSE92_Harry View Post
Bought a 08 E92 two weeks ago. Two days ago, I got a warning with SOS malfuncion, and as many of you have experienced, the audio shut off, no radio, CD player has no sound, idrive is freezing up on random occasion.
Tried the 3 button reset, doesn't work.
As I research on different forum, it seems to be a problem for a lot of owners. Whether if it's the TCU, fuse, optic fibre not working.. Etc...
Took it to Reeves BMW today, and they told me it is the RR CCC unit, part is 900 alone and with labor and everything it will be 1600 to fix it.

I am beyond frustrated that I have to shell out over 1500 dollars to fix a car after I have it for two weeks. I bought extended warranty for electrical but apparently it doesn't cover this shit. Even though I bought everything possible that was on the extended warranty for $2100.

Not sure if I wanna get it fixed at Reeves... But yeah, not a good experience so far dealing with BMW and a problem that seems to be common to lot of people, but there's no recall for it.
Sorry to reopen this thread, but had you figured out this issue, im having the same exact problem (SOS malfunction, no audio, gongs) Nav works, the head unit displays everything for the radio and such but I have literally 0 sound from the audio system
Appreciate 0