E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2010 "CPO" 335i has been in shop 3x only 1 month after purchase...Help?

11-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
G30Nashville
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i

2010 "CPO" 335i has been in shop 3x only 1 month after purchase...Help?

So I bought a 2010 CPO 335i Coupe in Alpine White with 22k from United BMW in Gwinnett GA about 45 days ago for $31,950. Sport package, premium package, M-Sport wheels, gray leather, new tires, etc. Great looking car and I love it....when it isn't in the shop.

First week I had in, I am in the middle of rush hour driving home, and I get this sudden smell of gasoline in the cabin. Wasn't sure if it was my car or something outside on the highway. 10 secs later, I am dead in the middle of a 6 lane interstate with no power and the car won't start. Long story short, I get it towed to the dealer and they find out it needs two fuel injectors and a high pressure fuel line or something, not the HPFP.

Get this....They said whoever put the fuel injectors in at 3,000 miles at a BMW dealership in CA, installed the wrong. How does a certified BMW Tech put injectors in wrong?? And would they not notice this on a CPO check before it was sold??

Anyway, I get the car back and things are good for a few weeks. Last week, I notice I am getting long cranks, like 2-3 seconds and a very rough idle. Exhaust has an annoying rattle at start up too. So I take it to the shop and they have it for two days and find nothing wring with the car. I get it back last Thursday.

Sure enough, I hop in the car yesterday and the service engine soon light is on. I'm like WTF. I Call the GM of the dealer and explain that I haven't even had this car 45 days or made a payment on it and its been in the shop 3 times. He says bring it in, we will make sure a good tech checks it out.

So the dealer came back today and notified me that now the other 3 fuel injectors are bad.

This has me furious because I forgot to mention earlier that according to the service records, this car had new fuel injectors at 3,000 miles, when they "supposedly" were installed wrong.

So when I had three new ones put in a few weeks ago, now apparently the other 3 "old" ones are going bad. How does a car go through fuel injectors not once, but twice before 25k?'
Not only this, but how do you miss these problems before the car is placed on the lot as a CPO, and then again when it's brought in for service??

I'm thinking of going back to the dealer tomorrow and just asking for all my money back so I can buy a different vehicle. Something is up with this one. Any other advice?
Any input is appreciated. I love the car I have, but at the same time I just feel this is too many problems to have right away.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I dont see a big deal here. injectors were bad and you got them replaced for free....end of story and hopefully that will put an end to above problems. BMW is not exactly a very reliable car and you should have known that before purchase....especially 335i with coil packs, turbos, and HPFP problems...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
repslol
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had the same problem with my car. It was in the shop 3 times the first month i got it. I was in the same position as you so i wouldnt worry cause after they fixed the problem my car ran great and i was able to actually drive it. Its been running perfect for 10 months since they fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
NorthernCAE90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

damn man im sorry to hear that, that's sad. Shoulda went with a NA motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Bimmertech113
Private
Rep
Drives: None

If they aren't bad when the card in the shop than we can't replace them. Also removing the engine cover and inspecting fuel injectors for proper fitment is not part of the CPO inspection process. Everything was covered. Chill out.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
feconi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

BMW techs can screw up anything. I went through a similar debacle as you because a tech butchered the install of a coil on my car, which is about as simple as it gets. My confidence level with dealership service techs is about zero.

Injectors are a common failure item on the N54, so having to get them replaced is not unusual.

Based on what you said, the dealer realized that the injectors were previously installed incorrectly but only replaced 2 of them, and left the other 4 installed incorrectly. Now they are going to replace only 3 more and leave you with still one faulty injector? That's not right.

ALL of the injectors should be properly replaced and that should be the end of your troubles for a while.

These cars have their issues for sure. But sometimes it's not the car so much as the way these shitty dealerships refuse to do proper diagnoses and repairs that drags out these issues and makes them much more aggravating and time-consuming than they should be.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

If this were 2008, I'd be very concerned whether the problem could be fixed, or not. But it's 2013, problems with N54's exist, but they can be solved....my .02
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
MARZPOPS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xdrive sedan NOT STOCK

Bmw= break my wallet FIX IT !
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

You bought a German luxury vehicle. I don't know what else you were expecting. Let the CPO warranty cover all your worries and move on with life with a smile because you're behind a wheel of a speed demon (stock or modded)!
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #10
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I'm sure they'll take care of you and your car will be fine afterwards, John 070 said it best.

Bad luck but the car is worth it

Btw it sounds like a great car for the money. Its almost brand new for little over 30k with all those options and cpo in white.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
zoso4534
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

I don't understand the posts that basically say deal with it. You buy a luxury vehicle, and you expect a luxury experience. It's understood that BMW and Mercedes require more maintenance, but this is absolutely overkill.

A newer CPO BMW should not be in and out of the shop so soon. It's very frustrating and time consuming. This is not a 10 year old car here. This is not a Volkswagen or Dodge. This is a BMW.

I would give the dealership an opportunity to resolve the fuel injector issue. I would also carefully review the Carfax and repair history for this car. I hope you looked at the history before buying it. Like you, I just bought a CPO BMW, and the dealership provided me with the complete repair history.

I'm not sure what legal recourse you may have. You might have to deal with more trips to the dealer. Given that you just bought the car, don't give them a penny. Every part, labor hour, towing, whatever you need should be paid entirely by the dealer. Keep dated records of every experience and expense incurred. If necessary, remind them - I bought a BMW, not a VW. You expect much better.

If you reach your limit, you could try demanding a full refund, and tell them you would be willing to buy another car from them. If necessary, call corporate. This is my first BMW, but from what I've heard, they will do almost everything to keep their clients happy.

Good luck, and hello to another BMW driver from Atlanta. I just bought a 2011 CPO 328i. Love the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I'd contact BMW of North America/Consumer Relations. Looks like your dealer threw you a lemon.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Give them a fair chance to fix it, if they can't demand a refund, look for another one and maybe consider a 328!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

N51/N52 FTW! Lol No matter what car you get where you want performance out of it, it'll have its fair share of problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
You bought a German luxury vehicle. I don't know what else you were expecting. Let the CPO warranty cover all your worries and move on with life with a smile because you're behind a wheel of a speed demon (stock or modded)!
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep
Drives: I has a E92!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. While the 335i is a wonderful car, the N54 is an enthusiast's engine. Sounds like this isn't the proper vehicle for the OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #17
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

I went through a very similar issue with my 335 when I got it. Many members chimed in with experiences that matched or were even worse. It would seem that a CPO check isn't that thorough, but the value comes in when they are held liable for fixing the issues without charge. I'd say let them fix it, then enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
mynycbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 328xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSSon View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. While the 335i is a wonderful car, the N54 is an enthusiast's engine. Sounds like this isn't the proper vehicle for the OP.
It's a bmw, not a Ferrari. These cars are mass produced daily drivers which shouldn't be spending several days each year in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynycbimmer View Post
It's a bmw, not a Ferrari. These cars are mass produced daily drivers which shouldn't be spending several days each year in the shop.
Well a Ferrari wouldn't even be sitting at the shop. It would just be caught on fire alongside the road. Ba-zing...
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

lol @ when people complain about problems from buying a used car. hahahahah

CPO or not, a used car is a used car. there have been several threads awhile back about new vs. used. any car, new or used, have an inherent risk of having problems... it's just a matter of which has a "higher/lesser" chance of having them. ive bought both used and new cars in the past and generally, the used cars have "more" problems only because theyve already have several thousand miles used on them. new cars arent immune to problems either, but they definitely have a less CHANCE of something going wrong. throw in German engineering to the mix and the chances just get higher of something going wrong.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
mynycbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 328xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
lol @ when people complain about problems from buying a used car. hahahahah

CPO or not, a used car is a used car. there have been several threads awhile back about new vs. used. any car, new or used, have an inherent risk of having problems... it's just a matter of which has a "higher/lesser" chance of having them. ive bought both used and new cars in the past and generally, the used cars have "more" problems only because theyve already have several thousand miles used on them. new cars arent immune to problems either, but they definitely have a less CHANCE of something going wrong. throw in German engineering to the mix and the chances just get higher of something going wrong.
Plus so many bmw's are leased and probably driven really hard for the 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
BostonB6
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSSon View Post
So enthusiasts expect to endure and are OK with the situation the OP is experiencing?
Appreciate 0