E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Going out of warranty

10-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
mou11002
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi (E90)

Going out of warranty

So my 335xi has about 15 days of warranty left. It has 32k miles and it does not have any major issues. Water pump went out a few weeks ago and was replaced, and muffler has been replaced.

Here and there I get a low battery/discharging battery warning, so I am planning on bringing that up with my dealer and also checking some weird metallic noise coming from the exhaust during cold start.

I don't think I'll buy the extended warranty, should I take my car to an independent shop and have an inspection done so I can find out if anything is wrong before the warranty expires? Have anyone done that? Is it worth it?

Should I have the dealership check anything on my car before it expires?

EDIT: The "Gold" warranty package would cost $3.6k and Platinum $4.1k. Do you guys think I should consider it?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
MARZPOPS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xdrive sedan NOT STOCK

If you had the car for a while consider getting a new car because the warrenty is always helpfull, also if your encountering problems that early maybe you have one of the bad 335 of the bunches. If you cant afford a new car and want to keep yours then hey, keep up with your oil and your flushes that should do.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mou11002 View Post
So my 335xi has about 15 days of warranty left. It has 32k miles and it does not have any major issues. Water pump went out a few weeks ago and was replaced, and muffler has been replaced.

Here and there I get a low battery/discharging battery warning, so I am planning on bringing that up with my dealer and also checking some weird metallic noise coming from the exhaust during cold start.

I don't think I'll buy the extended warranty, should I take my car to an independent shop and have an inspection done so I can find out if anything is wrong before the warranty expires? Have anyone done that? Is it worth it?

EDIT: The "Gold" warranty package would cost $3.6k and Platinum $4.1k. Do you guys think I should consider it?
Dealer will check car for you. Its in their best interest to find issues as they get paid for warranty work. I would never keep 335 out of warranty. I had hpfp, injectors twice, steering pump, 2 steering hoses, radio, suspension bushings twice etc etc all around 45,000 miles. I got rid of it as fast as I could after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Dealer will check car for you. Its in their best interest to find issues as they get paid for warranty work. I would never keep 335 out of warranty. I had hpfp, injectors twice, steering pump, 2 steering hoses, radio, suspension bushings twice etc etc all around 45,000 miles. I got rid of it as fast as I could after that.
Its weird. I have the same car you did with the same mileage and none of that happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
mou11002
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi (E90)

I guess its all about luck. I had a 2006 330i and sold it with 110k miles. Nothing went bad on that car, besides the starter and an actuator. Even the water pump was original.

I'm more concerned about the turbos and the water pump going bad again. But I guess these two do have extended warranty. I heard the injectors are something I should be worrying about. I just don't know if I should save the money for the future repairs or just pay upfront for them. The Ford ESP warranty is basically bumper to bumper but costs $4500 for the 7 years/100k. That is pretty much a down payment on a car. Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
Its weird. I have the same car you did with the same mileage and none of that happened to me.
Well I hope you escape but virtually every 335 has these problems at some point. They ALL have injector problems. Intake will need $900 cleaning soon too. Some of that happened right at 50,000 miles as warranty was running out.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
CaliBMW86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i; Ducati S4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mou11002 View Post

Do you want to pay $3600 to $4100 for something that may happen, or save that $4100 for a repair fund? That is the question you should ask yourself. Me personally my car came with 6yr, 100k warranty, after the six years I will keep the car, and keep $5000 for any repairs down the line. Its cheaper then buying a car every 5 years.

I know some people that keep their cars for 200k miles, and just replace parts as they go. The only time you really need to replace a car, is if the cost of the repair is more then the car is worth.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

I have the platinum warranty on my car until 2017 I believe, once that is up I am going single turbo, upgrade fuel pump and never looking back.

I barely have 50k miles on my car, and i can tell you the amount of work that was done to it is insane, brakes 2x in front (due to squealing), rear brake sensor malfunction, both turbos replaced, charge pipe cracked (replaced with $50 deduc), hpfp (2x I believe) and evap was replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBMW86 View Post
Do you want to pay $3600 to $4100 for something that may happen, or save that $4100 for a repair fund? That is the question you should ask yourself. Me personally my car came with 6yr, 100k warranty, after the six years I will keep the car, and keep $5000 for any repairs down the line. Its cheaper then buying a car every 5 years.

I know some people that keep their cars for 200k miles, and just replace parts as they go. The only time you really need to replace a car, is if the cost of the repair is more then the car is worth.
I have a 94-97 accord that has 220k and is STILL going strong, I keep up on regular maintenance, oil, brakes, etc and some preventive -- motor mounts, trans mount and p/s pump, which wasn't even the problem as it was one of the hoses that had a slight crack.

I had to replace the valve cover gasket, valve seals, oil pan gasket and did a full service (pulley, timing belt, etc) about a year or so ago. The car runs so QUIET that you can barely tell its running if you have the AC off.

Car is SOLID. No issues and I will never sell it.
Appreciate 0