BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Interior Design Packages.

Do you know if the interior design package comes with Leather dashboard?

The interior design package is $1950 which includes Nappa Leather and special trim selection (not sure what are those).

so, you are just paying $500 more for Nappa over Dakota?

Also, if you select Premium Package in addition to interior design package you would still pay $2700 despite already being paid for the leather. it doesn't make sense unless its a bug.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Both design packages come with a leather dashboard. The ivory package has a gray leather dashboard and the mocha package has a black leather dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Both design packages come with a leather dashboard. The ivory package has a gray leather dashboard and the mocha package has a black leather dashboard.
That's nice. The Leather Dashboard option alone charged at $1200.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
skins08
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

See this thread on Bimmerfest:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=709737

Some of us had the same belief about paying for leather with the design package and paying again for leather if the Premium Package is additionally ordered. I tried to clear this up with the local dealer and was told (although online configurator still says NO) that Mocha Interior Design Package requires purchase of Premium Package. I still don't know which is correct, the online configurator or what the dealer told me. I have never seen such confusion with BMW in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
Do you know if the interior design package comes with Leather dashboard?

The interior design package is $1950 which includes Nappa Leather and special trim selection (not sure what are those).

so, you are just paying $500 more for Nappa over Dakota?

Also, if you select Premium Package in addition to interior design package you would still pay $2700 despite already being paid for the leather. it doesn't make sense unless its a bug.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

if anyone opted interior design package and premium package, they are charged twice for leather. so sad.

Premium package is not mandatory per order guide.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
skins08
Registered
Rep

Agree. Doesn't make sense. Dealer told me his internal ordering system requires Premium Pkg. with Design Pkg. I told him website doesn't and he said he would contact his BMW rep. Never heard back.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

You don't pay twice. If an option is included in one package you don't pay the package price plus the stand alone price(s) of the components of that package. The way BMW has presented some of these packages is a little confusing, but they don't charge you twice for the same thing.

Ex. The m sport line requires you to select leather, but it is not included in the price of the m sport. If you then select the premium package, your total price goes up by 1250, not 2700, since you had already added the 1450 for the leather. If anyone sees any different on any packages, it's a glitch, not a double charge.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

As another example, for F15 X5 50i's, which include Dakota leather as standard, the $1,950 charge for the "Interior design packages" (which includes the Napa leather dash, upgraded seating surfaces w/stitching, and a few other swatches) is more or less inclusive of the cost of the Napa dashboard ($1200 as an individual option) plus the added cost of Napa leather on the seating surfaces, etc.(about $750) - so there is no "double charge" as it were.

Last edited by NikonMan; 11-01-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes. That makes sense for xDrive50i.
Consider xDrive35i, you can place order with Ivory Design Package for $1950 and add MC seats for $1300.

For Dakota leather alone one should pay $1450.

That's insane.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5
Consider xDrive35i, you can place order with Ivory Design Package for $1950 and add MC seats for $1300.

That's insane.
The multi contour seats have nothing to do with the leather. They are entirely different seats, mechanically, that's what you're paying for. The leather design packages vs regular Dakota leather give you more leather, and better quality leather, thus the extra charge.

The multi contour seats are as good as it gets. They're the already awesome sport seats on steroids. You can literally shape the seat around every curve of your body with all the extra adjustments. The seat back bends in half so you can curve it around your back. Compared to the standard seats, they are well worth the $1300.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

BMW must have legions of PhD type marketing, consumer psychology, design and cost accountants whose sole purpose is to determine option package trending, margin and customer profiles in order to extract the most possible profit per unit based on segments ("value" shoppers, "loss leader" shoppers, "cost is no limit" customers, typical lease customers vs. typical buy customers, etc.).

Example - every BMW X5 should have XM radio as standard (meaning it isn't just "pre-wired") - however, it is not unless you choose it as a bundled package with other items that you may not want, etc.

If you then choose the package, a one year subscription is included as a "bonus".

They are, however, getting much better than they used to be, and the F15 does have many standard features that were previously optional.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan
BMW must have legions of PhD type marketing, consumer psychology, design and cost accountants whose sole purpose is to determine option package trending, margin and customer profiles in order to extract the most possible profit per unit based on segments ("value" shoppers, "loss leader" shoppers, "cost is no limit" customers, typical lease customers vs. typical buy customers, etc.).

Example - every BMW X5 should have XM radio as standard (meaning it isn't just "pre-wired") - however, it is not unless you choose it as a bundled package with other items that you may not want, etc.

If you then choose the package, a one year subscription is included as a "bonus".

They are, however, getting much better than they used to be, and the F15 does have many standard features that were previously optional.
BMW and every other luxury brand. It's frustrating considering Ford packages some of these "options" standard... But you're right, standard Nav, pano roof, etc.. It is getting better. But people who used to buy the stripped down model without any of that for a much lower base price may disagree lol
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
skins08
Registered
Rep

Unfortunately, it looks like what the dealer told me is the correct information (premium package IS required with the interior design package), despite the fact that the BMW online configurator is wrong and has been wrong for many months now (premium package NOT required with interior design package). On carprices.com, the following information can be found:

ZMD Mocha Interior Design Package $1,775 $1,950
Includes: Poplar Wood Trim; Mocha Nappa Leather Package; Mocha Nappa Leather (Includes Black Nappa leather dashboard with contrast stitching)
Requires The Following Option: Premium Package
Excludes The Following Option: Nappa Leather Dashboard
Requires One Of The Following Options: Luxury Seating Package or Multi-Contour Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post

That's insane.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the clarification. Interior package is an additional cost of $1950 which includes upgrade to Nappa Leather, $750 and leather dashboard for $1200. The online configurator is wrong.
I don't know why a global brand website team can't get this configurator right.
Appreciate 0