M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

10-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
dieseldub
Private
Rep
Drives:

Anyone come from a GTR?

Hey guys. I drive a full bolt on GTR runs in the 10.7 range over 130mph. Loud. Rough and fun as hell. But being a car enthusiast I want to experience all levels of performance cars. Always admired the m5. I'm a big guy and the comfort of the m5 is HIGHLY attractive. I know it won't be as fast but at 30 years old I'm wondering if the m5 will bore me quickly?

Just curious of your experiences.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

It delivers. Plenty of torque. All around car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Sejzilla
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW 14 M5 ZCP

I come from a gtr and while the gtr is a beast when it comes to performance....it lacks the daily drive ability luxury and comfort....I don't regret at all coming back to M, it's just Ina different class than the gtr...if you Goto the track a lot or u wanna be the fastest car in your neighborhood stay with the gtr though, if you dont, I'd say m5 is definitely the right choice
      10-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

I've got both. M5 is much more comfortable. GTR is more raw and fun to track. I actually don't mind the harshness of the GTR though. As a family car, the M5 is much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Just think of the F10 M5 as a 4 Door, RWD GTR that feels like a leather couch. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

If you still want trips to the drag strip putting up decent times, M5 can do it. It's fast as hell, faster than a stock GTR under some circumstances (not from a dig). Unlike the GTR, the M5 can relax when you want it to. Or you can hop in a supercharged E92 M3, find a used R8 V10, GT3, or CLK 63 Black Series. The possibilities are endless. I want to advocate the M5, but there are a lot of cars in the price range to consider!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

The tuning game for the m5 is horrible right now so your GTR will be faster. You can certainly make it loud and rough though, mine sure is.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
The tuning game for the m5 is horrible right now so your GTR will be faster. You can certainly make it loud and rough though, mine sure is.
Agreed. Horrible! The F10 M5 has been out for 2 years already and we have yet to see a legit reliable full ECU remap to turn the boost up to make over 800hp in this engine. How much longer? Hmmm...,

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
L8ESTCO
l8estco
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTR

Funny that you mention.. I'm thinking of adding an m5 to the stable as well. Need a daily driver.. I def dont daily the gtr. lol. I think itll be something that you can relax in but def has a punch to it when you need.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I built a 2900 lb awd DSM that did 700+ whp on a Mustang Dyno and the car always scared me on the street. Whatever I drive now I always go back and compare it to the DSM. At the end of the day nothing I have driven makes my knees shake as much as that car did, but I can honestly that the f10 is truly amazing. I liked my e39 m5 a lot because it represented mechanical engineering, I disliked the e60 m5 because the car was confused itself and no torque made it no fun to drive. I complained a lot before ordering the f10 because of the weight and all the technology that the car was packed with. With that said.....I used hard break in from mile 1 in Munich and never looked back. The car and technology proves that power to weight ratio theory goes out the window. It's fun, exciting and almost makes my knees shake. It's an amazing machine and if I were you I would definitely go for it. As I said before this one might be a keeper.
      10-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Agreed. Horrible! The F10 M5 has been out for 2 years already and we have yet to see a legit reliable full ECU remap to turn the boost up to make over 800hp in this engine. How much longer? Hmmm...,
Seriously, I just don't get it. Not even anything to unlock the limiter. I still have confidence it will come though..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldub View Post
Hey guys. I drive a full bolt on GTR runs in the 10.7 range over 130mph. Loud. Rough and fun as hell. But being a car enthusiast I want to experience all levels of performance cars. Always admired the m5. I'm a big guy and the comfort of the m5 is HIGHLY attractive. I know it won't be as fast but at 30 years old I'm wondering if the m5 will bore me quickly?

Just curious of your experiences.
Do a "Search" on here and you will get plenty of Info.
I extensively tested the GTR whist still in my E90 M3, and stuck with the M3.
Crashing and banging on all but the smoothest of roads just gave me a headache. The tyre and wind noise is terrible also.
Here in the UK the GTR is only good for track work, as a daily driver it stinks IMO cheap looking interior does it no favours either.

The LCI M5 is a mile better in every dept and if you think it lacks power keep your GTR.
The M5 is all things to many people.
      10-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #13
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Stupid thing is that as an actual driving experience the M5 is much more rewarding. 4wd obviously offers amazing levels of traction and grip but is also less of a challenge. I have come from 400bhp + 4wd car and it took me a while to remember how to drive properly in the M5. Turn MDM mode on and drive it hard on semi wet roads and it will test you...quite brutal!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #14
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

my friend had gtr, i was driving it on DD basis for couple of weeks

he had 700hp, crazy car, but no way close luxury/comfort/sexy as m5

turbo boost in m5 is what it makes m5 fun thing to drive + not a fun of awd

RWD FTW
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
dieseldub
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys. I have a daily driver Acura that gets driven less than a show car. When I get into the garage the GTR always wins. I would love to have it and a new m5 but that's way too much for me to swallow (that's what she said).

Driven the r8. Barely fit. As well as the gallardo. Part of me wants to wait for 2015 GTR and see what they deliver. But then my logic kicks in and I'll be paying 50k more for 99% same car. Which is stupid. I don't want to dump more money in it as it's already crazy fast.

997.2tt would be a nice choice. Also tight. M6 gorgeous and m5. Gotta drive them and see
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
///man
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldub View Post
Thanks guys. I have a daily driver Acura that gets driven less than a show car. When I get into the garage the GTR always wins. I would love to have it and a new m5 but that's way too much for me to swallow (that's what she said).

Driven the r8. Barely fit. As well as the gallardo. Part of me wants to wait for 2015 GTR and see what they deliver. But then my logic kicks in and I'll be paying 50k more for 99% same car. Which is stupid. I don't want to dump more money in it as it's already crazy fast.

997.2tt would be a nice choice. Also tight. M6 gorgeous and m5. Gotta drive them and see
It seems like you don't really know what you want.

A four door luxury performance RWD all around complete package sedan?
or a two door AWD faster-than-everyone-else Nissan?
or a previous generation two door AWD turbo charged 911?
or a German mid-engine AWD supercar?
or an Italian mid-engine RWD supercar?

You have to figure out what you need out of the car. To be a DD? To be a track car? to seat 4+ adults comfortably? a family car? a tail happy RWD fun car?

You can't have it all. But the M5 will give you most of that in a single package. If you need all of that.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

I came from a full bolt-on E85 tuned GT-R (trapped 131mph and 7.04s 60-130mph on pump gas and 6.67s 60-130mph on E85, it would have likely trapped 135+mph on E85 but never made it to the track with that set up).

Obviously the acceleration and handling of a full bolt-on GT-R are other worldly in comparison to pretty much any stock car this side of a Veyron. So comparing it to a 4,300lbs sedan is futile. I will say that my M5 with just drop-in air filters and Supersprint Race Mufflers is FASTER than my GT-R was when it was similarly moded with HKS drop-in filters and mid-pipe. The best 0-60 for the GT-R on my vbox was 4.1s without launch control. My best in the M5 is 3.67s without launch control. I never did a 60-130mph pull in the GT-R when it was stock, but it was likely a 10s car and did 8.45s with a Cobb stage 2 93 octane tune along with mid-pipe and filters. My M5 ran 8.57s 60-130mph.

The interior and luxury amenities of the M5 completely blow the GT-R away. The M5's 7 speed DCT is so much more refined and just as quick as the GT-R's 6 speed one. I also don't have that uneasy feeling that the transmission is going to explode as I did with the GT-R (due to the inherent defects in the designs of the GT-R's tranny).

The GT-R was a bit of a "rock star". I would have younger kids to soccer moms whipping out their cell phones to take pics and videos (not exaggerating) of the GT-R. You don't get that same sort of attention in the M5....which I much prefer...but some people need to be glory hounds so the GT-R would be the better choice for them.

I am happy with my decision to trade the GT-R for the M5. However, most of my decision was based on a change in my priorities. My daughter absolutely hated going in the backseat of the GT-R. I got tired of the antiquated gauges, punishing ride and cheap interior materials. I reached the point where I would trade some of the performance for upgrades in those other areas. Now if the aftermarket would finally provide decent performance upgrades it would be even better.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Very much agree with Tom above, as in trading some performance, for quality etc. I wonder if age and maturity, has a forebear on our car buying decisions. A young chap in his 30s, i would wager a bet, would pick the GT-R every time, because in his mind, he wants the fastest, most easily tuneable, lastest gadget, badass car he can have, and i think the GT-R fits this role well, whereas the older chap, wants performance and quality etc, of course this might be tosh, but its interesting in regards to, what makes us want, what we want.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

i think there are to many people out there who are having unreasonable doubts of the M5,
get out there, drive it! get some track-like turn and you'll be amazed on how big and how fast this thing is!
      10-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
dieseldub
Private
Rep
Drives:

Funny you mention the tranny issues. I blew mine already. Have a 2013 in it now and feels solid. I'm a bachelor. No kids. No wife. A gf. I enjoy driving a lot! I put 30 000km in a 15 month span. Put my fav tunes and go for a nice drive.

After a long day at office. I love hearing my catless cold start. Puts a smile to my face. I got to drive an m5 and see what's up or an m6. Ill report back
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
dieseldub
Private
Rep
Drives:

Swung by dealer. Sakhir orange m6. Off the bat offers me 25k off. Need to move it before winter. I don't like the color. But that's a good deal I think? 148k msrp on that one. Sat in the 2014 m5 so comfy. Can you get the same carbon fiber center console as m6?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I own both. If you want luxury and great engine with plenty of power and great transmission, the M5 is a great car. On the negative side, it feels bigger than GTR, and overall handling and steering is inferior to GTR. I used to be focused only on power in my amateur days, at the present time I prefer crisp steering and handling and power will be a plus. I own a BRZ with only 200 hp, but that car puts a smile on my face every time I drive, because of the over all feel and handling
Appreciate 0