BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2014 Range Rover Sport vs BMX X5

I understand there are many threads about the comparison between Range Rover vs BMW X5. However, i don't see any thread to debate over between 2014 RRS vs X5.

2014 RRS is all new model available in market from Sep 2013 at base price of $63K.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum considered RRS in their shopping list. If not, why.

Price:

Its common perception that RR vehicles are pricey and its true until RRS (all new).

2014 RRS HSE with technology options and third row coming out at $74K
2014 X5 M Sport with leather, technology, 3rd row and premium packages can go beyond $74K

so, the price is almost same between both.

Prestige: I was told that RR carries better badge value than BMW. May be right or wrong and it depends.

Handling: Both have their own pros and cons.

Looks: I think RRS is clear winner (Red looks awesome)

Interior: RRS is winner

Technology: X5 is winner (2014 model)

Re-sale value: BMW X5

I spoke to the local RRS dealer and they are not willing to discount from MSRP and they are selling out so fast.

What's your take on RRS over X5?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

4 years no charge maintenance is another factor you may want to think about.
BMW only needs gas and the tires during first 4 years.

RRS looks def great and I do agree that RRS looks more upscale but resale value will be pretty bad...

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
I gotta disagree on the interior
I think X5's looks and feels better (with nappa package)
MPG and acceleration most likely will be better on X5
Price:
while msrp is close, X5 will will get you much better deal if you lease
If not, your trade-in in a few year will be a lot better than RR's

However, RRS is very attractive option no matter how we look at it

Last edited by AndreyATC; 09-24-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

If you load the RRS up the way I would order it, it quickly jumps into X5m territory. Neither has been shown to be reliable (my perspective from my x5m vs the history of any RR). As bad as the resale will be on the x5m, the RRS will be even worse.
      09-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Since you just coined the phrase "badge value," I implore you to please go buy the RR
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
BMW603
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

I think RRS is an amazing vehicle.. but, as the dealers and fellow car guys say right out the box-- once the warranty is up it's junk. (yes the sales guy said this to my face)=' don't keep it out of warranty'

BMW is better in my book. have two actually- my 2010 with 11k miles on it just went in for service and was told the tires and alignment were bad-- pay for alignment and we buy tires for you. I'm still in shock a 3 yr old vehicle got free tires =)

FYI- I'd be all over a LR4 if it was diesel like UK.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdewd
Ever driven one of those? Talk about body roll....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

If you plan to lease like I do through my business then the X5 is stunningly better. 1050 vs 1550 for apples to apples comparison at 36m/12k miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdewd View Post
I think RRS is an amazing vehicle.. but, as the dealers and fellow car guys say right out the box-- once the warranty is up it's junk. (yes the sales guy said this to my face)=' don't keep it out of warranty'

BMW is better in my book. have two actually- my 2010 with 11k miles on it just went in for service and was told the tires and alignment were bad-- pay for alignment and we buy tires for you. I'm still in shock a 3 yr old vehicle got free tires =)

The reliability is getting better and the reviewers states its the best of rover.
Also, RR offers 4 year 50K warranty excluded maintainance like oil change.
There is usually a decent 20K difference between X5 and RRS. With 2014 RRS, the price is reduced (along with specs). So the price difference between them is almost nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
HHSAM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10/ X5 F15 M Package

bmw will always be the winner. Its reliable, safe and good ownership experience. the RR in general is being too full of themselves and charge a hefty premium for every option. the range rover is just another look at me car with poor material and build quality.
      09-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F15 M-Sport 30d

This is the exact dilemma I am fighting now
I'm in Europe, so for me it's RRS 258 hp diesel Vs. 30d 258 hp X5.
(There are two versions of diesel in RRS, both 3-liter, 258 and 292 hp).

I tried RRS for myself last week at my local dealer, before jumping into conclusions and blind ordering X5. Few days later I went to IAA Frankfurt to see and touch F15 in person and to have a fresh comparison. And to be honest, it's a very, very tough choice to make, as I can have both vehicles at quite similar price (OK, X5 with more gadgets).

Here are my pros and cons for both (I judge things which I find personally important for me)

RRS:
pros:
  • design: it's light, smooth, everything fits and flows in this car, Vs very heavy looks of X5
  • very smooth driving, but handling sporty enough to take some twisty curves at 70-80 km/h
  • extremely quiet, I didn't expect it to be sooo quiet in fact. Only after 150-160 km/h (100 mph?) at motorway drive you start hearing a noise coming from those huge mirrors, but neither the diesel engine nor the windscreen give any significant noise (this is what actually scared me off from buying E70 few years back)
  • 7 seats very clever and comfortable, electric control = quite useful.
  • digital TFT dash (no-cost option in some EU countries) - looks amazing. Absolutely love it.
  • choice of colours, exterior and interior + materials used is incomparable to BMW's. It truly suits all possible desires and you can mix it all in almost every possible way (red chilli with panoramic roof + santorini black roof would me my choice, absolutely stunning in person)
  • fantastic seats.

cons:
  • horrible media in general. Navigation screen in a very awkward position and angle. For a person like me - used to the iDrive's intelligence and ergonomics for years now, and someone who's grabbing it all the time to search, tune, navigate, phone, etc Range Rover's system is almost useless while driving.
  • First of all, it touchscreen - meaning you take your eyes off the road completely in order to try to hit a small specific box or icon on the touch screen. It's responsiveness is nowhere near the capacitive screens, so you're never sure if you touch was a hit or not... moving around menus is also a horrible experience. Screen is installed in the angle that with sun coming from the sideways, I couldn't see a thing on it. Meridian audio system: I took it for a standard, base system, so I made a remark that it sounds very average, and then.. a seller tells me it's not standard what I'm listening to, but already a 1000 EUR upgrade... Wow. So, again nowhere near BMW's Harman Kardon
  • As much as I loved the driving , I hate what I see as average consumption (based on my calculations, experience with BMW's diesels, research done on RR forums and tests, + some comparisons, I estimate that similar size and weight RRS will drink about 30-40% more than new generation X5 diesel. And that is a bit too much, I would say. During test I couldn't get below 12l/100km (light foot).
  • of course, once you start reading thorugh RR forums, you get all the standard issues on top of that: so 1) reliability 2) resale value loss 3) expensive servicing. Unfortunately, numbers 1 & 3 become BMW's problem as well.

X5 F15 (not driven, can only judge the exposition car)
I went to see it with a friend who got his E70 LCi a bit over a year ago, to see his impressions. And, yes he's so impressed that started to discuss with his wife all the reasons why should they switch almost new E70 for a F15....
pros:
  • Beautiful finish all around, modern styling,
  • 10,2" navigation looks huge, I wish they kept it inside the dashboard as before, but it seems that all carmakers have "a thing" for a "ipad sticking out of the dashboard" these days (Audi, Mercedes, even good old mazda glues their screens into dash). But the colors, resolution, hyper-fast reaction to commends, touch iDrive, 3D graphics, it all looks and works so amazing that for a gadget-geek it's enough reasons to choose BMW over anything else (I recently cross-shopped Audi and Mercedes as well...). Apps, internet, all those things don't even exist in RRS - if they are important for you.
  • fantastic seats, both Sport and comfort ones. In fact, it will be hard to choose (in M-package comfort seat are inexpensive upgrade here)
  • Harman Kardon sounds just about what you expect from 1000 EUR upgrade (Vs awful RR's Meridian, or even worse: audi's horrible and flat Bose...)
  • 7-seater is very clever, as you still have some space left for 2 small bags behind. Then the second row moves, slides and bends as well. All great, but you miss the electric control from RRS.

cons:-
  • analog gauges look quite dated now, compared to digital ones from 5, 6 or 7-series now, and not to mention those of RRS.
  • overall outside design is veeery heavy, especially in m-package form + light colour, which unfortunately I consider my only choice and we'll probably get eventually (M - for its value for money, light color - I hate dark cars). The wheel arches are so huge, that even biggest 20" wheels look strangely small. In RRS at least it seems like they used a different wheel / tire ratio (I can't understand how it's possible in fact, so they can use so much more "gum"?). In a SAV I would prefer to stick to 19 or 20" wheels but have more gum. RRS will win any battle in terms of overall design here.
At the end of the day, I will probably get X5.
I will just wait 2-3 more months before ordering hoping that they will soon get rid of this old fashion analogue gauges; so XX century..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

WRT 'Luxemberg's' comment on the RR ICE system,
My wife drives an Evoque and if it's ICE is anything like its bigger brothers I would stick with the Bimmer.

She can load only TEN cd's on its hard drive.
You cannot transfer music from a USB so she has my USB permanently plugged in to play any music.
It has no capability to have an integrated mobile you have to use blue tooth and a separate power cord to charge up her iPhone.
Like your comment you have to take your eyes off the road to navigate your way round the un-user friendly interface.
Every time you use the Sat Nav you have to 'agree' to Ts & Cs and to manoeuvre carefully!

It's dreadful....but she loves the car...go figure!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
texvette
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Since you just coined the phrase "badge value," I implore you to please go buy the RR
Badge Value does affect what a car will bring. If a RR bring more attention at
work or home driveway than it is worth more. If had studied the X5d more
and read all the poor reports on emission controls with carbon build up would
have gone Range Rover Sport. The 13 would have been a better value than
the 14 in my opinion. Looking at options. Interior just looks more upscale
than a BMW.

The maintenance of BMW is of no value to me. Drive just too little miles.
Might get one service out of them in 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by texvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Badge Value does affect what a car will bring. If a RR bring more attention at
work or home driveway than it is worth more.
More value to one's ego, sure, if that's what you're after. Worth more? Again, only if what you want in a car is to impress your neighbors and co workers. If I paint an '82 pinto fluorescent orange, that'll get a lot of looks too
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxembourg View Post
This is the exact dilemma I am fighting now
I'm in Europe, so for me it's RRS 258 hp diesel Vs. 30d 258 hp X5.
(There are two versions of diesel in RRS, both 3-liter, 258 and 292 hp).

I tried RRS for myself last week at my local dealer, before jumping into conclusions and blind ordering X5. Few days later I went to IAA Frankfurt to see and touch F15 in person and to have a fresh comparison. And to be honest, it's a very, very tough choice to make, as I can have both vehicles at quite similar price (OK, X5 with more gadgets).

Here are my pros and cons for both (I judge things which I find personally important for me)

RRS:
pros:
  • design: it's light, smooth, everything fits and flows in this car, Vs very heavy looks of X5
  • very smooth driving, but handling sporty enough to take some twisty curves at 70-80 km/h
  • extremely quiet, I didn't expect it to be sooo quiet in fact. Only after 150-160 km/h (100 mph?) at motorway drive you start hearing a noise coming from those huge mirrors, but neither the diesel engine nor the windscreen give any significant noise (this is what actually scared me off from buying E70 few years back)
  • 7 seats very clever and comfortable, electric control = quite useful.
  • digital TFT dash (no-cost option in some EU countries) - looks amazing. Absolutely love it.
  • choice of colours, exterior and interior + materials used is incomparable to BMW's. It truly suits all possible desires and you can mix it all in almost every possible way (red chilli with panoramic roof + santorini black roof would me my choice, absolutely stunning in person)
  • fantastic seats.

cons:
  • horrible media in general. Navigation screen in a very awkward position and angle. For a person like me - used to the iDrive's intelligence and ergonomics for years now, and someone who's grabbing it all the time to search, tune, navigate, phone, etc Range Rover's system is almost useless while driving.
  • First of all, it touchscreen - meaning you take your eyes off the road completely in order to try to hit a small specific box or icon on the touch screen. It's responsiveness is nowhere near the capacitive screens, so you're never sure if you touch was a hit or not... moving around menus is also a horrible experience. Screen is installed in the angle that with sun coming from the sideways, I couldn't see a thing on it. Meridian audio system: I took it for a standard, base system, so I made a remark that it sounds very average, and then.. a seller tells me it's not standard what I'm listening to, but already a 1000 EUR upgrade... Wow. So, again nowhere near BMW's Harman Kardon
  • As much as I loved the driving , I hate what I see as average consumption (based on my calculations, experience with BMW's diesels, research done on RR forums and tests, + some comparisons, I estimate that similar size and weight RRS will drink about 30-40% more than new generation X5 diesel. And that is a bit too much, I would say. During test I couldn't get below 12l/100km (light foot).
  • of course, once you start reading thorugh RR forums, you get all the standard issues on top of that: so 1) reliability 2) resale value loss 3) expensive servicing. Unfortunately, numbers 1 & 3 become BMW's problem as well.

X5 F15 (not driven, can only judge the exposition car)
I went to see it with a friend who got his E70 LCi a bit over a year ago, to see his impressions. And, yes he's so impressed that started to discuss with his wife all the reasons why should they switch almost new E70 for a F15....
pros:
  • Beautiful finish all around, modern styling,
  • 10,2" navigation looks huge, I wish they kept it inside the dashboard as before, but it seems that all carmakers have "a thing" for a "ipad sticking out of the dashboard" these days (Audi, Mercedes, even good old mazda glues their screens into dash). But the colors, resolution, hyper-fast reaction to commends, touch iDrive, 3D graphics, it all looks and works so amazing that for a gadget-geek it's enough reasons to choose BMW over anything else (I recently cross-shopped Audi and Mercedes as well...). Apps, internet, all those things don't even exist in RRS - if they are important for you.
  • fantastic seats, both Sport and comfort ones. In fact, it will be hard to choose (in M-package comfort seat are inexpensive upgrade here)
  • Harman Kardon sounds just about what you expect from 1000 EUR upgrade (Vs awful RR's Meridian, or even worse: audi's horrible and flat Bose...)
  • 7-seater is very clever, as you still have some space left for 2 small bags behind. Then the second row moves, slides and bends as well. All great, but you miss the electric control from RRS.

cons:-
  • analog gauges look quite dated now, compared to digital ones from 5, 6 or 7-series now, and not to mention those of RRS.
  • overall outside design is veeery heavy, especially in m-package form + light colour, which unfortunately I consider my only choice and we'll probably get eventually (M - for its value for money, light color - I hate dark cars). The wheel arches are so huge, that even biggest 20" wheels look strangely small. In RRS at least it seems like they used a different wheel / tire ratio (I can't understand how it's possible in fact, so they can use so much more "gum"?). In a SAV I would prefer to stick to 19 or 20" wheels but have more gum. RRS will win any battle in terms of overall design here.
At the end of the day, I will probably get X5.
I will just wait 2-3 more months before ordering hoping that they will soon get rid of this old fashion analogue gauges; so XX century..
Luxembourg,Thank you very much for the detailed comparison between both.
I am sure this post will be a reference guide for shoppers on bench between RRS and X5.

One point really surprised me from your post is about the "very heavy" comment on the looks of new X5. I have not seen both these models in person yet. But, i thought X5 is the only vehicle in this category looks more smooth and muscular than heavy looks like Q7.

From pics, i thought RRS also looks heavy from both ends. One of the main reason, i have opted out Q7 is due to its heavy looks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I looked at the new RRS and btw folks that ordered are getting them now. However when I saw it in person I changed my mind. The back of it doesn't seem right and it looks bland.

Inside its all very nice but again RR have seem weird combination of packages and options. If you want the full LCD instrument panel you have to order the top of the range trim which is close to $100k

Still to see the x5 in person though. Really hoping its the opposite of the RRS - looks better in real life that photos.

The q7 on the other hand is just hideous in every way possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I looked at the new RRS and btw folks that ordered are getting them now. However when I saw it in person I changed my mind. The back of it doesn't seem right and it looks bland.

Inside its all very nice but again RR have seem weird combination of packages and options. If you want the full LCD instrument panel you have to order the top of the range trim which is close to $100k

Still to see the x5 in person though. Really hoping its the opposite of the RRS - looks better in real life that photos.

The q7 on the other hand is just hideous in every way possible.
You can also get the full LCD dash by getting the V8 and then adding the Dynamic Package. You don't have to get the Autobiography edition.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
You can also get the full LCD dash by getting the V8 and then adding the Dynamic Package. You don't have to get the Autobiography edition.
Didn't realize that ... And funnily nor do JLR dealers or their marketing dept.

Either way they need a diesel for the USA market. I'm not stopping every 350 miles to fill the thing up.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Didn't realize that ... And funnily nor do JLR dealers or their marketing dept.

Either way they need a diesel for the USA market. I'm not stopping every 350 miles to fill the thing up.
I didn't realize it either until someone pointed it out to me on a RR forum. They should have offered the full LCD as an option for the whole line or just made it standard.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
If money is no concern, I would take RR in a heart beat.
For me, it feels better, looks better and perceives better.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
Patarix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 30d

I was able to see live the new X5 F15 yesterday at the Panama Motor Show; fantastic, far better and with greater presence that what the pictures might suggest! I was able to compare it, almost side by side, with the new RR Sport...:

- The X5 looks much better in person that in photos...especially outside. The interior is fantastic and feels very high quality.

- The new RR Sport looks much better in photos than in rear life....both inside and out. My feeling is that in real life, the interior of the new RR Sport has lost a bit of that High Quality appearance that used to characterize the older version. Also, it's almost impossible to navigate through the touch screen without looking at it, something that you can accomplish with the newer generation Bmw's, where actual feedback from buttons and center knob, can get you through menus your are familiar with.

My dad came along with me yesterday...in his opinion the new X5's interior es even better than the one in the 2013 RR Classic (about 6 months ago he was about to pull the trigger on a RR 2013 Superchaged).
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
numerobis
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Hello all, this is my first post! I came here because I am awaiting the new F15 xdrive 50.

I read everything the fellow members had to say of this new car (thanks for that ). I see that it is mostly compared to the RRS, but in terms of performance and sportiness they are in a different league and have each a different purpose, the BMW being more sporty and the Range more comfy. I would say a much fairer comparison would be with the Cayenne, which I have not seen anywhere. The X50 has the performance of almost the Turbo, despite having a price between the S and the GTS
Appreciate 0