F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Potential Order - Interior Option Thoughts
proTUNING Freaks

09-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Potential Order - Interior Option Thoughts

My wife and I are looking at doing an ED on an F34 later this year. Thinking 328xi and wanted to get the opinion of the forum on a couple of things.

First the standard list of options we are getting:
- Cold Weather Package
- Dynamic Handling Package
- Premium Package
- Driver Assistance Package
- Lighting Package
- Technology Package
- Side & Top View Cameras

We would prefer to get a Sport or M-Sport line particularly for the sports seats (biggie for me). Sadly we know about the x versions not getting the reduced right height and suspension differences.

Our issue is on colors and options. So far an exterior we both seemed to prefer the Midnight Blue Metallic that we have seen in person on a 7 series that was at the dealer. Of course that makes the M-Sport a no-go if we want to stick with that color. We know we want to go with a darker color in the blue, black, gray range as we think it will look better on the bigger vehicle. Downside is we have only seen the Midnight Blue on an Oyster interior.

Question 1: What does everyone think of a darker interior against the Midnight Blue?

Next real problem is the interior options... if we got Sport Line we are thinking the black leather with the red highlight stitching. Looking at trims, I don't like the brushed aluminum and the wife hates the anthracite wood (not sure I like it on black either) so that just leaves us the high gloss black trim which we both like. The problem is that it only comes with the red accent stripe on the dash and doors and neither of us wants that much red on the car.

I was thinking of swapping out the red accent for the pearl gloss accent trim that is available with the anthracite wood.

Question 2: How does everyone think the pearl gloss accent would look with the black trim?

Question 3: Does anyone have an idea on cost / difficulty of swapping out the trim pieces on the dash and doors?

I searched around o RealOEM and Tischer's site and couldn't find anything specific to those parts as of yet.

The other option we are weighing is going with the M-Sport and picking up the Beige interior with the Dark Burl Walnut trim. That will be very similar to my current E90. Only downside is that going M-Sport takes away our preferred paint choice.

All thoughts and comments are certainly welcome. Let me know your thoughts on colors and options if we are missing a must-have.

Thanks!
      09-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

Question 1: What does everyone think of a darker interior against the Midnight Blue?
Black looks fine on mine (cloth not leather tho)

Next real problem is the interior options... if we got Sport Line we are thinking the black leather with the red highlight stitching. Looking at trims, I don't like the brushed aluminum and the wife hates the anthracite wood (not sure I like it on black either) so that just leaves us the high gloss black trim which we both like. The problem is that it only comes with the red accent stripe on the dash and doors and neither of us wants that much red on the car.

I was thinking of swapping out the red accent for the pearl gloss accent trim that is available with the anthracite wood.

Question 2: How does everyone think the pearl gloss accent would look with the black trim? I have red and it looks stunning

Question 3: Does anyone have an idea on cost / difficulty of swapping out the trim pieces on the dash and doors?No sorry i don't

I searched around o RealOEM and Tischer's site and couldn't find anything specific to those parts as of yet.

The other option we are weighing is going with the M-Sport and picking up the Beige interior with the Dark Burl Walnut trim. That will be very similar to my current E90. Only downside is that going M-Sport takes away our preferred paint choice.
What are the other optoins

All thoughts and comments are certainly welcome. Let me know your thoughts on colors and options if we are missing a must-have.

Thanks!

Currently learnt a lesson
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep

AndyMD,

Thanks for the reply.

We are looking at either Mineral Grey Metallic or Black Sapphire Metallic if we decide to go with the M-Sport. In either option we are likely to go with the Beige leather interior and the Dark Burl Walnut trim. The interior is comfortable to us since it is very similar to my existing E90.

I have owned grey / silver vehicles before so the Mineral Grey on beige seems safe to me. The wife leans towards the black exterior.
      09-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I don't like the red trim. We did black/aluminum with red leather and jet black exterior. There was a sedan on the lot in jet/red with the gloss black/red trim and we loved everything but the trim. Doesn't look as good in person as it does on the Internet to me.

Sport line was worth it to us for the seats, red leather option and the dark headliner it really shrinks the greenhouse from outside visually in my opinion

Last edited by Richbot; 09-20-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

I've had my 328i Luxury in Midnight Blue for a couple of weeks now and still absolutely love it.
Pics on this thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884601
The interior on mine is Venetian Beige with Burr Walnut trim and I think it works extremely well, but personally I always go for light interiors. I'll try and post some interior shots tomorrow.

Choices . . . it's mind boggling,
Good luck.
      09-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
I've had my 328i Luxury in Midnight Blue for a couple of weeks now and still absolutely love it.
Pics on this thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884601
The interior on mine is Venetian Beige with Burr Walnut trim and I think it works extremely well, but personally I always go for light interiors. I'll try and post some interior shots tomorrow.

Choices . . . it's mind boggling,
Good luck.
Allachie9,

We definitely appreciate your feedback. The pics of your car are what really had us considering the Midnight Blue .

That said the Luxury line really isn't an option for us... 1) I want the sport seats 2) I don't like the wheels and 3) the wife doesn't like the additional stitching on the Luxury line seats.

If only BMW would open all option combinations and do away with the Lines crap... so much easier when I bought my E90. But that is an old complaint around here by now lol... just didn't think it would cause us such heartache either!
      09-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

trim piece swapping is simple, just costly in terms of buying the OEM trim...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
mattu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 14 335GT, 21 X5 45e

I'm sure the black with chrome would look better than the red highlight, but of the options you've noted, I'd go M-Sport black with the beige interior...I say black over grey because you get better contrast with black.

Midnight and Imperial should have been offered on M-Sport instead of Sport-Line. IMHO, the red detailing and the seating (black is ok but the red stitch/pipe is still there) choices in sport line don't fit very well with blue exteriors, while the M-Sport beige interior and burl seems like a nice match for both Midnight and Imperial.

Here's an x1 with midnight over black: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732485
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep

Everyone,

Really appreciating the feedback.

The wife and I spent some time doing pro's and con's this weekend and debating it out.

We have settled on going with the M-Sport Line and the beige interior.

That leaves us needing to pick an exterior color... we were originally thinking Mineral Grey or Black Sapphire.

Now I am starting to contemplate the Estoril Blue as we both really prefer blue and as mentioned previously by kcrealm3 blue does tend to match well with the beige interior. I am just unsure how the Estoril would look on the bigger F34... anyone know of any examples out there?
      09-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

There were some auto show photos in Estoril google images should bring them up
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestleSBA View Post
Everyone,

Really appreciating the feedback.

The wife and I spent some time doing pro's and con's this weekend and debating it out.

We have settled on going with the M-Sport Line and the beige interior.

That leaves us needing to pick an exterior color... we were originally thinking Mineral Grey or Black Sapphire.

Now I am starting to contemplate the Estoril Blue as we both really prefer blue and as mentioned previously by kcrealm3 blue does tend to match well with the beige interior. I am just unsure how the Estoril would look on the bigger F34... anyone know of any examples out there?
http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1375645932

Estoril doesn't look bad on the F34, but it seems better suited for smaller, more sporty cars. Has anyone ever had success ordering a color that's not an option on the ordering sheet: Midnight or Imperial on M-Sport? Either one of those appear to be the best option for the OP's taste...any chance the dealer could get BMW to do it? If so, would there be substantial cost for the override?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335ix GT

Special order color/combinations

I bought a Jaguar XF and was able to order an exterior color and an interior seat color that was not a regular production option. Jaguar did build my dream combo to order, but did charge $1,000. This accomodation may be part of the British "bespoke" heritage. I find the M sport line colors very limited. I would also like to know if there was any way of getting other GT colors on an M sport.
I guess I would be willing to pay extra since I did it before.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGBMW View Post
I bought a Jaguar XF and was able to order an exterior color and an interior seat color that was not a regular production option. Jaguar did build my dream combo to order, but did charge $1,000. This accomodation may be part of the British "bespoke" heritage. I find the M sport line colors very limited. I would also like to know if there was any way of getting other GT colors on an M sport.
I guess I would be willing to pay extra since I did it before.
Sure you could go individual and get the colour you want, but expect to pay 3 to 5 times more than you did for your Jaguar, for colour only, that's even if you can get approved for the individual programme
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Sure you could go individual and get the colour you want, but expect to pay 3 to 5 times more than you did for your Jaguar, for colour only, that's even if you can get approved for the individual programme
What's so frustrating is that these aren't even the individual "more expensive" colors we're talking about. I'm no expert on how the bmw assembly line works, but the fact they can't/won't dial up midnight blue instead of estoril when an M-Sport model rolls through the paint booth seems asinine. It's the most expensive line available...the customer should be able to choose from any standard paint color available. I can see reasoning in limiting choices on dealer-stocked vehicles to keep sales managers from ordering combos that BMW NA doesn't want out on the showroom floor, but custom-orders from customers with down payments doesn't seem very logical...The only thing that can come from it seems like lost revenue/profit in the form of less M-Sport orders, and in some cases losing customers entirely to more accommodating brands.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrealm3 View Post
What's so frustrating is that these aren't even the individual "more expensive" colors we're talking about. I'm no expert on how the bmw assembly line works, but the fact they can't/won't dial up midnight blue instead of estoril when an M-Sport model rolls through the paint booth seems asinine. It's the most expensive line available...the customer should be able to choose from any standard paint color available. I can see reasoning in limiting choices on dealer-stocked vehicles to keep sales managers from ordering combos that BMW NA doesn't want out on the showroom floor, but custom-orders from customers with down payments doesn't seem very logical...The only thing that can come from it seems like lost revenue/profit in the form of less M-Sport orders, and in some cases losing customers entirely to more accommodating brands.
Yeah it is extremely frustrating being limited by colour choice for the M-sport. I also don't understand it and never will.
Did you see the extensive colour options that Audi offers? You can choose any hue of any colour and the price is not so bad. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Apparently someone has already inquired up the BMW chain of command about getting custom colors done on their 3gt...Doesn't appear to be possible.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886097
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep

Great discussion in here so far.

Needless to say I think that there are a lot of disappointed people inside the BMW community with how limited BMW is currently being with their lines approach. Opening up even a different color combination interior on the Sport Line would have certainly solved this issue for us or even a different exterior color on the M-Sport Line.

For people will to spend the extra $ (and I am not) even having the Individual option would be beneficial but that isn't even in play here...

At any rate, the wife and I still have some decisions to make
      09-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

I think Black Sapphire over Beige M-Sport is a very nice combo. If the carpet and dash were black like they are with Coral, it would have made my choice more difficult because Coral is brighter than what I really wanted.

I have Mystic Blue on my 05 ZHP and it's a fantastic color on the E46, but I don't know if I'd want it on the GT. The GT is a big car, and the brighter-than-mystic Estoril Blue is too over-bearing for me considering its size. I decided on Mineral Grey and went with a flashier interior (Coral)...My perfect-world build would have been Tanzanite Blue and Criollo interior, with Singapore Grey (similar to Mineral Grey but a bit darker) and Fox Red interior (more brown and not as bright as Coral) a close second.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep

kcrealm3,

I hear you on the Tanzanite Blue. I would kill to have that color available to me right now like I think it is to the folks over in the EU. Would particularly love to pair that with a Oyster and Black interior.