E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Discount Dilemma...I Want Your Thoughts

10-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

Discount Dilemma...I Want Your Thoughts

OK guys, here's the deal. These offers are for the exact same car, same production number. Its a custom ordered 08 335i coupe.

BMW of Dallas- $1175 off.

Classic BMW- $750 off but I know the President and GM through a friend. He claims he will "take care of me" whenever I need it.

So I'm not sure if the additional $425 off is worth giving up the trumph card of knowing the owner of the dealership. He's a powerful guy at this dealership, so it could be a valuable connection. But at the same time who knows if he actually means that he will take care of me. And better yet, who knows what "being taken care of means." I'm planning on getting Procede for the car. So it would nice if "being taken care of"' means looking the other way when I bring my car in. Or if I have some sort of damage to the car as a result of Procede(god forbid).

So its tough to weigh what that relationship could mean. Additionally Classic is closer for service and has a MUCH nicer dealership.

I'm currently trying to get Classic just to match this offer. But if they don't I will have to make a decision.

I would appreciate your thoughts and what you would do in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

This is hardly a dilemma.

If Classic can't match the offer that you got from another dealership, then they are hardly "taking care of you." You would think that knowing the President of the dealership would be good for a bigger discount than you could get at a place where you don't know anyone. If he's going to hook you up, he should beat the price that BMW of Dallas is offering. If they aren't willing to match or beat the price, then why would you expect them to do you any favors with their service department (ie: not giving you trouble for having Procede), or anything else for that matter? You should still be able to get your car serviced at the closer location, even if you bought it from somewhere else (although I've heard stories of getting pushed down the line in those instances).

So is the experience of buying a car at a nicer looking dealership worth $425 to you? If not, go with the cheaper price. Seems like an easy choice to me.
      10-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
OK guys, here's the deal. These offers are for the exact same car, same production number. Its a custom ordered 08 335i coupe.

BMW of Dallas- $1175 off.

Classic BMW- $750 off but I know the President and GM through a friend. He claims he will "take care of me" whenever I need it.

So I'm not sure if the additional $425 off is worth giving up the trumph card of knowing the owner of the dealership. He's a powerful guy at this dealership, so it could be a valuable connection. But at the same time who knows if he actually means that he will take care of me. And better yet, who knows what "being taken care of means." I'm planning on getting Procede for the car. So it would nice if "being taken care of"' means looking the other way when I bring my car in. Or if I have some sort of damage to the car as a result of Procede(god forbid).

So its tough to weigh what that relationship could mean. Additionally Classic is closer for service and has a MUCH nicer dealership.

I'm currently trying to get Classic just to match this offer. But if they don't I will have to make a decision.

I would appreciate your thoughts and what you would do in this situation.
Couple of things to ponder...

If this guy you know through a friend is "going to take care of you" and he's obviously in a position of power in his dealership why isnt he going to be able to match if not beat your best offer.

If you knew him personally its one thing but the fact that you dont even know him other than through a friend makes you bascially on par with anyone else, a referral from another client.

$425 is not chump change, if it were less than $100 then its a toss-up, especially since Classic is a nicer and closer dealership. But other than that go with your best offer.

You said it yourself... what exactly does "being taken care of mean?" he'll warranty your car for 4yrs like every other dealership is required to do? You should tell him that you are interested in modifying your car with such & such mods, how would this effect your warranty...

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
YULY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
BMW of Dallas, why would you want to pay more, plus the new BMW is free maintance for 4 years anyways
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

why dont you ask the president and GM directly what they mean by "taking care of you". if they whole heartedly want to take care of you then they'll tell you if it's okay to procede the car. if they stutter or give you the run around then you know whats up.

just be up front because if you end up going with classic, they'll find out later on that you procede'd. if you go to the other dealership, they'll find out later too. unless you remove it everytime before taking the car in.
      10-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

No dilemma, you need get MORE dealers involved. You should be able to get a better price than either of those. Also, any time someone says they'll "take care of you", expect to get screwed. They need to SHOW you they are taking care of you with the best deal upfront with no "jerking you" around. Money talks, lip-service walks. BTW, it should concern you that right out of the blocks the president and gm DIDN'T take care of you.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
Couple of things to ponder...

If this guy you know through a friend is "going to take care of you" and he's obviously in a position of power in his dealership why isnt he going to be able to match if not beat your best offer.

If you knew him personally its one thing but the fact that you dont even know him other than through a friend makes you bascially on par with anyone else, a referral from another client.

$425 is not chump change, if it were less than $100 then its a toss-up, especially since Classic is a nicer and closer dealership. But other than that go with your best offer.

You said it yourself... what exactly does "being taken care of mean?" he'll warranty your car for 4yrs like every other dealership is required to do? You should tell him that you are interested in modifying your car with such & such mods, how would this effect your warranty...

Good luck
Good call... If Classic will match the lower price, fine; otherwise go with Dallas.
      10-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
Boben5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328 coupe

I dont care if the president of the u.s owned the dealership. You go with the one that gives you the most off. Besides the man or men you know aren't paying for the car, you are. What are they going to hook you up with some wheel locks or mats, plleeaassee, take the offer from Dallas. No question. Common sense.
      10-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

I do really think the focus for me should be to find out what "taking care of you means." I've had a couple of poor experiences at Classic already. But meeting the President/GM since then I know will help me in the future. Just how much is the question. I'm still waiting to hear back from Classic on whether or not they will match the offer. In most areas of the country these discounts aren't very much in comparision to what some guys in CA and NJ are getting off. Texans seem to not be getting as much of a discount. In the mean time, BMW of Dallas offered me an additional $100 off their $1,175 off MSRP price. I told them instead offering me $100 here and there. Go back to your SM and get your absolute best deal possible and we can go from there. I haven't had my car serviced at BMW of Dallas so I'm not sure what to expect there and if they are mod-friendly or not. My worst fear is going with BMW of Dallas instead of Classic and BoD giving me hell for having Procede vs. Classic not caring. So if Classic refuses to meet the BoD offer, I will then explore with them what they mean by "taking care" of me actually means. If Classic can match the $1,175 then I'll stick with that and call it quits.

On a side note, something else I have to consider is Classic claims they do not let other dealerships take over production numbers to change delivery to their dealership. So what that means is I would have to cancel my order (I'm a week in, still not scheduled for production yet). I'd have to wait an additional week to get my car which pushes it REAL close to the date I'd have to return my lease. Plus, its only been a week and the agony of waiting has been terrible! Haha.

Also, I'd prefer to get service from Classic because its closer, nicer and if I take it there without buying a car from them I get Enterprise rentals instead of a BMW. Something else to factor into the equation.

I appreciate your thoughts, keep them coming!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
ohsnap
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
As many have already stated; If you know this guy, why isn't he "taking care of you" and beating or at least matching the price?

Easy decision in my eyes; go with BMW of Dallas..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
As many have already stated; If you know this guy, why isn't he "taking care of you" and beating or at least matching the price?

Easy decision in my eyes; go with BMW of Dallas..
They are considering it. I'm waiting to hear back. But hypothetically, if they don't match it, then obviously this guy isn't taking care of me like he says he would.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am not trying to be mean here, but you're missing the point. You don't need to find out what they mean by "take care of you". They have already shown that they are trying to NOT take care of you by their openning paltry offer. Save time, energy , and grief and shop more than these 2 places !!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgie2 View Post
I am not trying to be mean here, but you're missing the point. You don't need to find out what they mean by "take care of you". They have already shown that they are trying to NOT take care of you by their openning paltry offer. Save time, energy , and grief and shop more than these 2 places !!
I believe what they meant when they said "taking care of me" was service related. I thought I mentioned that earlier.

No point in going to other dealers, too far away and if I service my car I want a BMW. If I go to Fort Worth for Autobahn or Irving for Mortiz, its too far for me to drive out there for service. BMW of Dallas is further away than Classic but not by much. I've been driving a BMW for 6 years and never gotten a BMW loaner because I don't service where I buy. I hate that and want that to change with the new car purchase. I'm sick of PT Cruisers and Sentra's when I take my car in. I even avoid taking it in if possible because of this.

So that's why its between two dealers.

Thanks for your passion though. It's nice to hear other members perspectives because BMW loves to play the "your lucky we're giving you anything off MSRP" card. So its refreshing to hear people remind me that I shouldn't fall for that trap. It's easy to do sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #14
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgie2 View Post

I concur!
I had to shop at 9 different dealerships before I got my best offer.
Of course I did it all via emails and phone calls so I didnt have to waste my time and energy going to each and every dealership...
Only went to the dalership twice... once to test drive... and second time to sign the papers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
I concur!
I had to shop at 9 different dealerships before I got my best offer.
Of course I did it all via emails and phone calls so I didnt have to waste my time and energy going to each and every dealership...
Only went to the dalership twice... once to test drive... and second time to sign the papers
I'm with you guys but please read my previous response as to why its not an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #16
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm with you guys but please read my previous response as to why its not an option.
Well im not saying to buy at those other dealerships... Because I felt the same way about staying local and buying from the same dealership that I plan to service my car at (for the loaner).

Just get quotes from other dealerships so you can use that as leverage to get a better price.

Thats what I did. Got quotes from dealerships that I knew I wasnt planning on buying from, and I used that to pressure my dealership into giving me a great price...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
musv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i

It's not called "show friends", it's called "show business". Do what is the best financially. and in all honesty, if you tell Classic that you are getting abetter deal at Dallas, and they don't match, then they dont want your business.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #18
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe what they meant when they said "taking care of me" was service related. I thought I mentioned that earlier.

No point in going to other dealers, too far away and if I service my car I want a BMW. If I go to Fort Worth for Autobahn or Irving for Mortiz, its too far for me to drive out there for service. BMW of Dallas is further away than Classic but not by much. I've been driving a BMW for 6 years and never gotten a BMW loaner because I don't service where I buy. I hate that and want that to change with the new car purchase. I'm sick of PT Cruisers and Sentra's when I take my car in. I even avoid taking it in if possible because of this.

So that's why its between two dealers.

Thanks for your passion though. It's nice to hear other members perspectives because BMW loves to play the "your lucky we're giving you anything off MSRP" card. So its refreshing to hear people remind me that I shouldn't fall for that trap. It's easy to do sometimes.
I bought a car from a dealer 40 miles away from me. He said they would still give me BMW loaners and would pickup/drop off my car. I'm not so sure other dealers won't give you BMW loaners. The Service depatments have their own quotas to meet. They aren't just there to take care of their Sales departments. Make some calls, save yourself some money, don't take the path of least resistance, don't let dealerships scare you with "You won't get a BMW loaner if you don't buy the car here" and don't fall for the "I'll take care of you later" empty promises. Ask other dealerships what they'd be willing to do, you may be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #19
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I'm curious to know exactly how a specific car (assigned production # on custom order) can be played off by the buyer between two or more dealers.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #20
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

why not just ask him to match the discount and buy a car from his dealership?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #21
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
why not just ask him to match the discount and buy a car from his dealership?
I did. That's what I was asking for.

The dealer that told me they could just change the delivery of the vehicle to their dealership was incorrect. Just had that confirmed.

I'm getting close towards making my decision. I will let you know what plays out. I prefer not to post it until I have it in writing in case anyone from the dealership reads this.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #22
pluckydc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i jet black, beige

Are these numbers off MSRP? If so, I don't think either one of them are good. Why not look at invoice and get someone to agree on 500 dollars more than invoice. I'm sure you can pull it off like a lot of us on here already did.