E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Performance driving tips for the 335i with Tiptronic

10-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Richardo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AT sport

Performance driving tips for the 335i with Tiptronic

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to drive a 335i with AT paddle shifters in tight turns. I'm going on my first autocross with the new car this weekend and would like to learn what others have found.

I just got past the break-in period on my July-build 335i (all-stock with AT, paddles, sport and premium package + engine strut brace) and finally had a chance to really drive it the past weekend. There's a nice isolated stretch of country road near my house with a series of several consecutive 90 degree turns in a left-right-left-right pattern each separated about 1/4 mile apart. It was a Sunday afternoon with no traffic anywhere. After I got the hang of it, the car drove beautifully .

Here's what I learned after negotiating the turns a few times:

1. Driving in D or DS automatic mode was awkward. It often shifted at just the wrong time, causing me to be a gear away from where I really needed to be to negotiate the turn properly.

2. Using the paddles manually in DS mode worked brilliantly -- I think it worked even better than I would have done in a manual transmission. I seemed to get the best results downshifting at about 3,250 RPMs and upshifting arround 5,750.

3. DSC off + DTC on worked very well. It gave me enough wiggle room to power oversteer when needed while still keeping me comfortably away from the fences.

One relevant post I found was 'My 2nd track day' by CaptOz (see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84339). He found that: '...one push of the DTC...offers the best performance/safety margin for me. I placed my step into DS mode and used the paddles to hold gears as required. I loved it'.

Any other advice? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Shift higher. I forget what the curve looks like but torque is pretty flat isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Richardo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Good advice, thanks. Regarding torque, it's virtually flat at 300 ft-lbs from 1400 to 5000 rpms.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

I think those used to driving a manual would find shifting with the stick to be more natural, but I love the paddle shifters as well. Nice to be able to keep both hands on the wheel. I never paid any attention to upshifts, just downshifts (roughly 3K RPM).
      10-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
Richardo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks -- seems like we're in agreement regarding the best downshifting point. By the way, I got a KBC TK8 Snell 2005 rated helmet yesterday at one of the local motorcycle shops for only $120, and it looks and fits pretty well. I'll let you all know how the driving goes this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Richardo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wow; if you haven't autocrossed your 335i yet, you should ASAP!! What a blast!! I just ran this weekend and did well (won the FS stock class ). Got my best results with traction control completely off (and I tried all three settings). I really love this car.
Appreciate 0